Henry A. Clark
Henry A. Clark, merchant and farmer, Elm Store, Ark. This gentleman owes his nativity to Boone County, Ark., where his birth occurred on the 26th of December, 1852, and is the son of G. W. and Fannie (Arnold) Clark, natives of Virginia [p.384] and Tennessee, respectively. The elder Mr. Clark came to Arkansas in 1850, settling in Carroll County, but after a residence there of about four years, moved to Marion County, where he bought 200 acres of land. He tilled the soil there until 1865, when he moved to Independence County, Ark., and settled close to Batesville. He remained there only two years, and then moved to Randolph County, where he bought wild land on Janes Creek. He moved from there in 1878 to Elm Store, where he died on the 30th of October, 1886, at the age of seventy-seven years. He was married in 1834 to Miss Arnold, who bore him ten children, seven now living: James, Annie, wife of W. M. Campbell, of Oregon County, Mo.; Sarah, wife of T. M. Brown, of Marion County, Ark.; E. B., H. A., R. B. and G. W. Mrs. Clark died on the 27th of April, 1887, at the age of sixty-nine years. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Mr. Clark was a successful farmer, and in his political views affiliated with the Democratic party. The paternal grandfather of our subject came from England with his brother when quite a young man. They both accepted positions as overseers on plantations in Virginia. The brother was killed by negroes and thrown into a log heap to burn, but was found in time and taken out. The grandfather moved from Virginia to Tennessee, and thence to Alabama, and was one of the earliest settlers of Jackson County. The maternal grandfather was also an early settler of Jackson County, Ala., and was one of the wealthiest men there during his time. He was originally from the State of Tennessee, but died in Alabama about 1858. H. A. Clark's early opportunities for an education were rather meager, and he attended his first school in 1866. He then attended the free schools of his section from 1868 to 1875, and obtained a good practical education at Thomasville Academy, Oregon County, Mo. After leaving school, and on the 23d of August, 1875, he came to his present place, and engaged in merchandising, which he has continued ever since in a very successful manner. In connection with this he also operates a farm of 250 acres on Eleven Points River. Mr. Clark's wife, to whom he was married on the 28th of February, 1877, was formerly Miss Ellendar A. Kirkpatrick, of this county, and they are the parents of four children, three now living: C. Newton, Adolphus G. and Elmer. The one deceased was named Henry Perry. At the commencement of his business career. Mr. Clark had but very little to commence with, but by close application to business, and by his honorable, upright course, he has attained an enviable position, and is now one of the leading business men in the county. At present he is the owner of 700 acres of land and a fine residence where he now lives, also owns his store, and his annual sales amount to about $15,000. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, is a Democrat in politics, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
Transcribed from: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, 1889
Back to Northeast Arkansas