Rev. John W. Carlock

Submitted by Vicky Dennis <vdennis at alltel.net>

Rev. John W. Carlock is one of the enterprising planters of the Petit Jean Mountain; his pleasant home in Cedar Falls Township is one of the most attractive of that particularly attractive region. He was born in Walker County, Georgia, October, 1849, and is the son of W. H. and Mary A. Carlock. (See sketch of W. H. Carlock.) He was married in Yell County, August 10, 1871, to Miss Carrie Callahan, a native of Texas. Mrs. Carlock died October 14, 1872, leaving one child, a daughter, Sarah, which died in 1874. Mr. Carlock was married to his present wife, Miss Martha R. Brady, October 1, 1874; she is a daughter of Daniel and Margaret (Cunningham) Brady, natives of Tennessee, and the parents of four children, one son and three daughters; the daughters are living and are named Martha R., Fedora, wife of T. H. Summers, and Mary J., wife of Conrad Weilenman. Father emigrated from Tennessee to Mississippi, and from that State to Arkansas. Mr. and Mrs. Carlock are the parents of six children, one son and five daughters, of whom four are now living; William T., Malvina (deceased, August 7, 1883), Rosella C., born July 2, 1880; Ida V., born February 28, 1883; Mary P., born March 30, 1886, and Alva P., born July 6, 1889. Our subject has always taken an active interest in the affairs of his township, and was elected justice in 1886, and served two terms. He is an old school teacher, engaging in that occupation on the completion of his education in Marion County, Tennessee, in 1869; he has taught in Boone, Yell and Perry Counties. In 1887 he was licensed to preach in the M. E. Church. He now owns a pleasant farm of 80 acres, well improved and stocked; his principal crops are corn and cotton.

Transcribed from: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Western Arkansas, Chicago Southern Publishing, 1891