Lewis Greer

Submitted by Vicky Dennis <vdennis at alltel.net>

Lewis Greer. In reviewing the lives of the early settlers of that part of Arkansas now known as Conway County, the names of Thomas Greer and his wife, Sabina Greer, are justly given an enviable position, for it is difficult to find among the archives of the county any evidence of an earlier permanent settlement than was made by this most worthy couple, who were brave enough to face the dangers attending the first settlers of a vast and almost unbroken wilderness, which Arkansas was at that early day. The exact date of their settlement here is not known, but the family record shows that they left their native State of Kentucky and emigrated to what is now Conway County prior to the year 1814, as [p.69] on July 12th of that year, Rev. Amos Greer, their son, was born here. This is perhaps the earliest birth record within the present limits of Conway County. Amos Greer spent his entire life in this county as one of its most noble and public-spirited citizens. He was a successful farmer, and an extensive stock dealer. He improved several farms and was an excellent manager of general affairs. Many years of his life were earnestly and sincerely devoted to the ministry in the M. E. Church, South. Mr. Greer was united in marriage in May, 1839, to Mary Lewis, who was also a native of Conway County, where she still resides, and is now about fifty-six years of age, and for many years has led an earnest Christian life, being a member of the same church in which her husband was held in such high esteem. Her parents, George and Rachel Lewis, were perhaps natives of Nashville, Tenn., and were also among the first settlers of what is now Conway County, where it is probable they spent their remaining years. Rev. Amos Greer died February 26, 1874, after a long life of usefulness, and was the father of six sons and four daughters, of whom Lewis is the fifth, and five of whom survive, Charles, Thomas and Lewis (twins), Pauline (the wife of J. B. Usrey), and Sallie (wife of A. Jones). Lewis was reared an industrious farmer boy, receiving his education under a private tutor till the war broke out, and after that attended Rally Hill school in Boone County, after which he engaged in the mercantile pursuit with the firm of Miller & Hannaford, at Morrilton, for a season. He then formed a partnership with Hobbs Bros. at Plummerville, which continued with success for four years. Since that time his time has been devoted principally to the management of his different farms, being the owner of 360 acres in all, all of which is the result of his own industry and successful financiering. His home farm, two miles east of Morrilton, is the most desirable and attractive country home in Conway County. The year 1879 witnessed his marriage with Miss Martha C. Jones, a native of this county, and a daughter of James R. and Mary J. Jones, who were natives of Tennessee, but when young came to Conway County, where they married, and where Mr. Jones died about 1882. Mrs. Jones is yet living; both members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Greer is a member of the Methodist Church, and is the father of two children, one daughter living.

Transcribed from: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Western Arkansas, Chicago Southern Publishing, 1891