Dr. William H. Montgomery

Submitted by Vicky Dennis <vdennis at alltel.net>

Dr. William H. Montgomery, physician, Moreland, Ark. Dr. Montgomery, one of the many eminent practitioners in Pope County, who has ministered to the wants of the sick and afflicted of the county for many years, is the son of Thomas and Jane E. (Montgomery) Montgomery, the father born in Georgia about 1818, and the mother in North Carolina about 1822. The parents were married in Kentucky in 1842, and to them were born four children: William H. (born in 1847), Jane W. (born in October, 1850), Agnes (deceased, was born in 1854), and Florazella T. (wife of Z. B. Hedrick, was born in 1856, and is now deceased). Thomas Montgomery, the father of these children, followed farming all his life, and was a member of the Presbyterian Church. He died when comparatively a young man in 1858. The mother, who was a member of the same church, died in July, 1890. She removed from the Blue-Grass State with Dr. Montgomery, and settled in St. Charles County. There they resided until 1877, when they removed to Boone County, Ark. Dr. Montgomery was educated in Louisville, Ky., until about fifteen years of age, and received his early education under difficulties, being obliged to work his way. In 1867 he began studying medicine under Dr. Whitlock, of La Fayette, Ky., but studied principally with Solomon Johnson, whom he claims as his preceptor. He opened a drug store in Harrison, Boone County, in connection with Dr. Ruth, and afterward purchased that Doctor's interest, subsequently removing the stock to Jasper, Ark. He there began the practice of medicine. Although the Doctor has never attended college or taken a course of lectures he is a member of the State Eclectic Medical Association, also the National Association, both of which have conferred upon him honorary degrees and diplomas. Dr. Montgomery stands very high in the estimation of the medical brethren, and the success which has attended his efforts almost without exception proclaims him a man of more than ordinary notice. He has an extensive practice, and is frequently called in consultation in all parts of this county, where his opinion and decision carries great weight. Dr. Montgomery was married to Miss Mary E. Markham, a native of Barren County, Tenn., in 1867, by "Old Preacher Woodward," as he was called, a man well known all over that section. To this union were born seven children, as follows: Susannah T. (born in 1879, now the wife of Alex Ray, of Pope County), Lavina W. (born in 1870, and the wife of A. C. Freeman, also residing in Pope County), Nancy Miami (born in 1872), L. D. (born in 1874), Ellen May (born in 1877, and died August, 1890), William J. (born in 1879), and Myrtle C. (born in 1883). Dr. W. H. Montgomery came to Pope County in 1884, purchased a farm of eighty acres, upon which he erected a house, [p.242] but his practice extending rapidly down the valley he purchased forty acres in Valley Township, whither he removed in 1889. His principal crops are corn, cotton and hay. His Valley Township land will yield three-fourths of a bale of cotton or thirty-five bushels of corn to the acre, while his Cross Plains farm will yield one-half bale of cotton or twenty bushels of corn to the acre. The same systematic condition of affairs about his home is apparent in his course as a man. Thorough in all that he does, he allows no worthy movement to drag for want of support if in his power to help it. Dr. Montgomery and wife, as well as all the children, are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Mason, and assisted in organizing and building up Cross Plains Lodge No. 484, having held principal offices in the lodge, and being chaplain at the present time. He was also a member of Eastern Star Lodge at Cross Plains, when it was first organized. He was elected school director of Jasper, Ark., a position he has held about eight years, and he takes decided interest in all educational matters. He was appointed postmaster at Jasper, Ark., and held this position two years, and resigned only on account of increasing practice. In the latter part of 1863 he enlisted in the Federal Army, and served about two years. He was in the battle of Knoxville, Atlanta, and in the First Salt works fight in Virginia, besides numerous skirmishes. He was captured at Knoxville and retained until 1864, when he was exchanged. He then returned to his company at Big Shanty, Ga. For meritorious conduct he received a furlough, and while home was captured by guerrillas, who took him to Tenneessee, where he was retained until 1865. He was wounded in the hip at Sandtown Ferry, Ga., and never received his discharge.

Transcribed from: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Western Arkansas' Chicago Southern Publishing Company,1891