T. R. Willcockson
T. R. Willcockson, sheriff of Greene County, Ark., was born in Giles County, Tenn., August 10, 1848, and is t0he son of Samuel and Frances (Gibson) Willcockson, the father a native of Virginia, and the mother of Kentucky. They were married in Tennessee, and there remained until October, 1851, when they immigrated to what is now Greene County, Ark., coming through in wagons, and locating near the old Crowley farm, in Cache Township. Here the father bought a [p.185] forty-acre tract, which was about the first deeded land in this section of Arkansas. He also put up the first steam, saw and grist-mill in Greene County, and ran this for several years. He also carried on farming, and being one of the earliest settlers, experienced all the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. In 1868 he removed to Boone County, Ark., where he died in June, 1886. The mother is still living. They were the parents of fifteen children, only six now living: John W., Isaac (deceased), William and Mary Annie (twins and both deceased), David C. (deceased), James (deceased), Joseph, Thomas R., Sina, Sarah, Samuel (deceased), Marion and Frances (twins and deceased), Polk and Virginia. T. R. Willcockson, the subject of this sketch, was but an infant when he was brought to Greene County by his parents, and here he grew to manhood and received his education in the common schools. He was reared on the farm, and tilling the soil has been his chief pursuit ever since. He owns 241 acres of land, with about sixty acres under cultivation. He was elected sheriff and collector in 1880, served four years, and in 1886 was re-elected to the same office, which position he is now filling. He was married in 1868 to Miss Mary Bowlin, who bore him six children: Callie, Lucy, Deany, Mack, Sudie and Nannie. Mrs. Willcockson is a member of the Baptist Church, and Mr. Willcockson is a member of the K. of P.
Transcribed from: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas, 1889
Back too Northeast Arkansas