Goodspeed's History of ... Carroll County, Arkansas
Towns and Villages Con'd., p. 375.City Officials. -- Mayors -- Elisha Rosson, 1880; John Carroll, 1880-84; A. Davis, 1884-87; F. M. Lawson, 1887.
Clerks -- F. A. Packard, 1880-82; John H. Hamilton, 1882-83;
W. F. Daugherty, 1883-87; R. H. Du Bois, 1887.
Judges -- E. R. Ray, 1882-83; F. C. Drennon, 1883; Larkin Collins,
1883-84; A. T. Wilson, 1884-87; J. P. McLaughlin, 1887.
of Police -- Joe F. Ivey, 1882-83; S. L. Hickerson, 1883-85; W. B.
Smith, 1885-87; L. H. Park, 1887; W. M. Dale, 1888; J. C. Higgins, 1888.
Town Council, 1880 -- Jasper Hooker, R. R. Pace, George
Beavers, W. H. Jones, John Holden; 1881-- J. S. Tibbs, J. G. Breeding,
Zeb. Pettigrew, J. T. Gooding, J. H. Pickett.
Aldermen, 1882 -- First Ward, T. O. P. Terry, J. H. Dolen;
Second Ward, R. W. Luther, J. W. Cary, Levi Fuller (vice R. W. Luther,
resigned); Third Ward, E. I. Putname, L. Collins; Fourth Ward, E.
Jenkins; R. H. Du Bois; Fifth Ward, Isaac Chidester, Z. P. Freeman.
1883 -- First Ward, Peter Landale, T. W. Spear; Second Ward,
J. P. McLaughlin, L. Waite; Third Ward, E. I. Putname, L. Collins;
Fourth Ward, J. G. Breeding, L. D. Brown, R. H. Du Bois (vice J. G.
Breeding, resigned); Fifth Ward, L. H. Park, W. R. Dye.
1884 -- First Ward, W. A. Broad, T. J. Atchison; Second Ward,
J. P. McLaughlin, Lee Waite; Third Ward, E. I. Putnam, Robert
Cuthbertson; Fourth Ward, J. G. Breeding, R. H. Du Bois; Fifth Ward, L.
H. Park, W. R. Dye.
1885 -- First Ward, W. A. Broad, R. H. James; Second Ward, J.
P. McLaughlin, G. W. Martin; Third Ward, E. I. Putnam, Robert
Cuthbertson; Fourth Ward, W. R. Conant, R. H. Du Boix; Fifth Ward, T.
F. Hawley, L. H. Park.
1886 -- First Ward, W. A. Broad, H. Davey; Second Ward, G. W.
Martin, J. P. McLaughlin; Third Ward, Robert Cuthbertson, James Smith;
Fourth Ward, W. R. Conant, R. H. Du Bois; Fifth Ward, T. F. Hawley, J.
1887 -- First Ward, W. R. Nichols, H. Davey; Second Ward, J.
W. Newport, J. B. Sanford; Third Ward, H. Seidel, James Smith; Fourth
Wardd, T. J. Pointer, J. H. Martin; Fifth Ward, J. B. Mitchell, T. F.
1888 -- First Ward, W. R. Nichols, J. H. Holleman; Second
Ward, J. W. Newport, J. B. Sanford; Third Ward, H. Seidel, W. H. D.
Brown; Fourth Ward, T. J. Pointer, Joseph Maddox; Fifth Ward, A. Smith,
J. W. Hyatt.
Treasurers -- Bart Moore, 1881; H. D. Field, 1882-85; J. F.
Fowler, 1885-87; E. L. Marsh, 1887.
Attorneys -- P. H. Trone and ------- Cordell were elected to
this office by the town council in 1880, but each resigned after a
short term of service. H. Glitsch was appointed the same year, and was
subsequently elected by popular vote for several successive terms. The
office is now vacant.
Marshal -- The town council elected William Kimbrough to this
office at its first meeting, April, 1880. John Carroll and J. J. Kirk
were the incumbents until 1882, when this office was merged into that
of chief of police.
The offices of city surveyor, street commissioner, coroner and
health officer existed in the first years of the city government, but
have since been abolished.
-- The immense expense necessarily incurred in street
improvement, and in prosecuting the litigation to secure title to the
territory upon which the city is built, have severely taxed its
resources. Prohibited from issuing bonds by the State Constitution, and
from assessing a tax higher than a certain rate, inadequate to provide
sufficient revenue, the city council was forced to the unfortunate
expedient of issuing city warrants at from 50 to 85 per cent. less than
their face value. The amount of outstanding warrants April 18, 1882,
was $71,651.24; April 1, 1883, $75,816.30 the revenue for the
intervening period being $36,679.10. This is a summary of the financial
condition at the close of the first year of the city government. Much
of the indebtedness had been incurred without adequate returns, and in
1883 the board of aldermen made an effort to effect a compromise with
the holders of the "scrip." It was partially successful; but Samuel
Ashley, the holder of warrants approximating $46,000, declined to
compromise on the terms proposed by the city, and instituted
proceedings in the United States District Court for the recovery of his
claim. The case is still undecided. Exclusive of this claim, the city
indebtedness April 1, 1884, was $38,066.45, and has not been materially
Land Litigation. -- Since 1879, and during the period of
most rapid growth, public interest and the attention of the municipal
authorities have been centered upon this subject, one of vital
importance to every citizen. The large population which arrived in
1879, and the succeeding two other years, were of that class generally
termed "squatters." The first arrivals staked off their locations, and
the Basin Spring was the center around which village indications were
first apparent. The committee elected in September, 1879, was charged
with the duty of adjudicating differences between rival claimants; they
authorized the surveyor, Maj. Armstrong, to lay off lots forty feet
square upon the different streets as they were laid out, and through
the autumn, as fast as lots were numbered, claimants appeared with the
fee of $1, and received from the surveyor a record of entry in the
Eureka Springs, Section No. 15, Township 20, Range 26 west,
Carroll County, Arkansas, Lot. No. ___, west side of _________ street,
taken by ________.
I. N. Armstrong, Recorder
No individual was allowed to enter more that [sic] two lots,
and failure to improve a claim within a specified time involved
forfeiture of title. Frequent disputes arose, but the judgment of the
committee was supreme and final. Lot No. 1, on the south side of Main
Street, was the first surveyed for individual occupancy, and was
entered by O. D. Thornton.
Application for Town Site. -- While
thus providing for the peaceable distribution of land among themselves,
the citizens were not negligent in securing their titles against
outside claimants. May 10, 1880, Mayor Rosson made application at the
land office at Harrison, to enter as a town site for the people of
Eureka Springs the whole of Section 15, the south half of Section 10,
and a portion of Section 14, for a portion of which he appeared as
Private Entries. -- Prior entries had been made in the following order:
12, 1879, by Franzisca Massman, cash entry No. 400, northeast quarter
of southwest quarter of Section 3, and southwest quarter of northeast
quarter of Section 10.
February 23, 1880, cash entry No. 475, northwest quarter of northeast quarter of Section 10.
September 10, 1879, by William Evans, cash entry No. 398, southwest quarter of southeast quarter of Section 10.
16 and 27, 1879, cash entries Nos. 408 and 413, northwest quarter of
southeast quarter, and east half of southwest quarter of Section 10.
January 2, 1880, by L. M. Lloyd and E. M. Chapman, Cash entry No. 432, southwest quarter of southwest quarter of Section 10.
15, 1879, by J. K. Northcutt, homestead entry No. 4884, northwest
quarter of southeast quarter, and north half of southwest quarter, and
southeast quarter of northwest quarter of Section 15.
15, 1879, by Robert J. Alexander, homestead entry No. 4885, southwest
quarter of northwestquarter, and north half of northwest quarter, and
northwest quarter of northeast quarter of Section 15.
January 27, 1880, by Benjamin Woodruff, cash entry No. 453, southwest quarter of southwest quarter of Section 15.
27, 1879, by D. C. Bays, pre-emption entry D. S. 65, southwest quarter
of northwest quarter of Section 14, northeast quarter of northeast
quarter of Section 15, south half of northeast quarter of Section 15,
southeast quarter of southwest quarter of Section 15; patented to j. L.
Cox and B. N. Hobbs, January 21, 1861, but patent never issued.
23, 1880 by Peter Van Wynkle. cash entry No. 446, southwest half of
southeast quarter, and northeast quarter of southeast quarter of
Mineral claimants. -- There
were a number of mineral claims, those of W. R. Conant, George W. Daly
and Conant & Daly, filed July 19, 1880, being the most important.
mineral and agricultural claimants were at this time in litigation, The
Land Commissioner in April, 1881, rendered a decision adverse to the
agricultural claimants, declaring certain portions of the town site
mineral, and deciding that the applications of both the lode claimants
and of the town-site applicants should be allowed. This was highly
satisfactory to the latter; but in March, 1882, the Secretary of the
Interior reversed this decision, declaring the lands agricultural in
character, and remanding the case to the general land office. The
commissioner directed the local land officers of the district to take
testimony, which was begun September 4, 1882. Mayor Carroll had, in the
meantime, twice applied for town-site entry, February 24, 1881 and June
10, 1881. The first application had been refused on the ground that
legal proceedings were then in progress to determine the character of
the land in question.
Decisions of the Commissioner and Secretary. -- The
hearing before the Register and Receiver at Harrison was concluded
October 12, 1882. A decision from that office was rendered November 25,
1882, and, with the testimony and papers in the case, immediately
transmitted to the general land office. The decision of Commissioner
McFarland was promulgated July 19, 1883, deciding the question of
priority of right in favor of the city authorities. The case was
appealed to the Secretary of the Interior by the agricultural
claimants, and in the following year his decison was rendered,
affirming that of the commissioner, except in so far as the latter
related to portions of Section 10 which were conceded to the
The Final Compromise. -- February
16, 1885, an act of the Arkansas Legislature, to authorize and regulate
the manner of disposing of the town-site-lands, was approved. It was
made the duty of the council to appoint one person from each ward to
grade, classify and price the lots, at values ranging from $1 to $20.
Evidence as to title was to be presented to the mayor, and upon his
certificate of genuineness the city treasurer was authorized to receive
paymet, upon receipt of which the mayor should issue a deed.
It was upon a different basis, however that the final settlement was reached. In February, 1885, the Eureka Improvement Compay, successors to the agricultural claimants, instituted proceedings in the United States Court for the western district of Arkansas to test the legality of the town site title. The city treasury was empty and its credit imapired, while there was a general disposition among the citizens in favor of a compromise, the litigation of five years having discouraged many. The city council requested the citizens to meet en masse, and appoint a committee to co-operate with them, which was done, Joe F. Ivey and J. H. Cameron being respectively chairman and secretary of the meeting. The committee thus chosen met with the council in February, 1885; a proposition from the Improvement Company was received, but not favorably considered, and an abrupt termination of the negotiations was imminent, when the president of the company suggested that the matter be laid over until after the annual meeting of its directors. March 11, 1885, pursuant to adjournment of February 24, the city council and citizens' committee again met, John Carroll, chairman, and J. H. Cameron, secretary. They were met by representatives of the Improvement Company, and after a conference, that continued from 4 P.M. to 4 A. M., a basis of settlement was at length reached. March 19, 1885, the report of the conference was submitted to a meeting of citizens in Downie Hall, by which it was referred for reconsideration to a committee, consisting of John Carroll on behalf of the city, and Powell Clayton as the representative of the Improvement Company. No essential changes were made. The compromise measures were submitted to a vote of the citizens, who declared in their favor by a practically unanimous vote. April 6, 1885, a decree of the United States District Court was promulgated, ratifying the compromise, the main features of which were the following: The Improvement Company was invested with the title to that part of Section 10 entered by George Penn, upon condition that deeds should be executed to the lot-holders thereon at the city appraisement, and that the Dairy Spring should be free to the public forever. The title to the Northcutt and Alexander entries was vested in the mayor of the city, the president of the Improvement Company and John Carroll, by whom deeds should be executed to lot-holders at the city appraisement, to churches without compensation, and all reservations to the city, all property unclaimed within a certain period to revert without compensation to the Improvement Company. A commission was provided for, to consit of one person representing the city and Improvement Company, respectively, and a third, mutually chosen by them, to have jurisdiction in widening of the streets, abatement of nuisances, removal of unoccupied houses, etc., and the Improvement Company was granted the right to operate street car lines, gas and water pipe lines, for a period of fifty years. This compromise honorable and just to all interests involved, removed the incubus of uncertain title which had so longer interfered with the prosperity of the city, while its provisions for public improvements insured a realization of those conditions which attract a desirable class of citizens.
Eureka Springs Railway. -- This
road extends from Seligman, Mo., to Eureka Springs, a distance of 18.50
miles. The grade from Seligman, for some distance, is 138 feet to the
mile. The general direction of the line is northwest and southeast.
There is down grade thirteen miles to White River from the northwest,
and six miles from the southeast. A two-span Howe truss iron bridge
crosses the White River.
The road was chartered February 27,
1882, and opened to travel February 1, 1883. It was built by the
Western Construction Company of Little Rock, Ark. The building of an
extension to Harrison, Ark., 49.25 miles, is in contemplation.
officers are as follows: President and manager, Powell Clayton;
vice-president and treasurer, Logan H. Roots; secretary, A. H. Foote;
directors, R. C. Kerens, St. Louis, Mo.; Logan H. Roots, Little Rock,
Ark.; E. W. Taylor, Jefferson, Texas; Nathan Herrmann, N. Y.; P. K.
Roots, Little Rock, Ark.; C. H. Smith, St. Louis, Mo.; Powell Clayton,
F. M. Richardson, A. H. Foote, Eureka Springs.
operations for the year ending December 31, 1887, are here enumerated:
Train mileage (passenger, 13,505; freight 13,885), 27390 miles.
Passengers carried, 27783; tons freight moved, 24,900. Earnings:
Passenger $35,011.52; freight $39,597.74; mail $1,459.68; express, $
1,415.70; miscellaneous traffic earnings, $18,793.65; total,
$96,278.32. Operating expenses: Transportation, $8,194.23; motive
power, $5,767.84; general repairs, $2,355.98; maintenance of way,
$5,848.39; general expenses, $9,153.68; total $31,320.12. Net earnings
from traffic, $64,958.20. Payments: Interest on first mortgage bonds,
$30,000; on debt, $30,000' other payments, $542.40; total, $60,542.40;
balance surplus, $4,415.80.
Financial statement December 31,
1887: Capital stock (par value $100), $500,000' funded debt, first
mortgage 6 per cent. fifty-year bonds, due February, 1933, interest
payable February and August, $500,000; second mortgage income 6 per
cent non-cumulative bonds, dated February 1, 1883, $500,000' current
accounts, $5,774.67; profit and loss, $8,921.60' total, $1,514,696.27. Contra: Cost
of roads, franchise, equipment, etc., $1,500,000' due from other
railroad companies, $3,568.33; from agents, $64.48; materials and fuel
on hand, $3,112.24; other assets, $7,951.22; total, $1,514,696.27.
Securities mostly held by construction company.
Stock: Locomotives, two; cars -- passenger, one; baggage, etc., one;
platform, six; service, eight; total sixteen. Other rolling stock is
furnished by St. Louis & San Francisco Railway company.
Business Interests. -- First
merchants: O. D. Thornton, the first merchant, established his place of
business July 6, 1879, with a stock of goods worth about $200.
September 13, 1879, Montgomery Bros. opened a grocery on the
opposite side of the street, with a stock worth $150. Mrs. Massman
supplied the lumber used in the early building operations from her
saw-mill on Leatherwood Creek. William Conant was the first liveryman.
The "King House," built by a mrs. King, of Washburn, Mo., across the
gulch from the Basin Spring, was the first hotel. The number of
business places in the summer of 1881 is given as 100. The first
shipment over the Eureka Springs Railway was several cars of hay, of
which S. C. Mills was the consignee. Spring and Main Streets, and
particularly the immediate vicinity of Basin Spring, have always been
the most active business portions of the town, and will doubtless
The following is a classified list of business places at the present time:
-- E. S. Timmons, A. L. Baker, Harper & Smith, W. H. Kaylor,
McLaughlin & Robinson, J. S. Alexander, Martin & Co., Joseph
Beck & Son, Hudson & Henson, Edward Haigler, H. N. Childer, S.
T. Dickens, J. M. V. Shreve, H. D. Field, G. S. Brown, G. W. Finn, C.
W. Smith, Packard & Gammon, D. H. Hopper, G. W. Malcolm, Joe F.
Ivey & Bro.. Levi Fuller & Son, Samuel Hays, S. J. Moore, &
Son, E. O. Freeman & Co., Mark Dean, ------- Adams, S. Carrell.
Dry Goods -- Montgomery & Riley, S. Turner, Sam. Fyfe.
Stores -- T. E. Clark, W. W. Davis & Co., A. J. Ray, Davis &
Champlin, Wilson Riley, Nichols & Smith, Cuthbertson & Co., B.
N. Nichols, Payne & Haman, R. L. Meaders.
Hardware -- Joseph Breeding, W. G. Jenkins & Co., A. N. Matthews & Co., J. G. Breeding.
Furniture -- W. S. Wadsworth, Sutliff & Bradey.
Druggists -- E. E. Brim, F. Bellchamber, H. T. Pendergrass, T. L. Milner, N. Gibson.
Undertakers -- Z. B. Drummond, W. S. Wadsworth.
Books and Stationery -- H. Fitch & Son, Geo. Baldridge.
Jewelry -- J. P. Shepherd, H. T. Shepherd, H. Fitch & Son.
Butchers -- Lawson & Whitehead, H. O. Kinser, G. & C. Pendergraff, Fanning & Co., F. M. King, Thomas Banham.
-- Blockson & Young, Caldwell Bros., Snavely & Bro., G. W.
Swett, J. W. Whitten, C. H. Young, Maggie Kimball, W. S. Edwards.
Gents' Furnishers -- John Tobien, Bayless & Ross, James & Beck.
Ladies' Furnishers -- Appie Lee, Mrs. J. G. Cunningham, Mrs. E. W. Roe, Mrs. M. E. Boyd, Bertie Barnett.
Flour and Feed -- W. V. Crow, G. W. Martin, S. C. Mills, G. H. Keeler.
-- Woodruff & Co., lumber; L. E. Lines, sewing machines; Neill
& Co., boots and shoes; M. M. White, notions; John S. Tibbs, Eureka
Water Company, water shippers; H. A. Rogers, harness; H. I. Seidel,
produce, etc.; W. W. Bell, paints, etc. J. W. Hill, Charles Hurlburt,
Jacob Everman, livery and sale stables.
The Board of Trade
was organized February 24, 1888. President, R. H. James;
vice-president, Z. P. Freeman; secretary, J. B. Bolton; directors A. H.
Foote, H. I. Seidel, T. D. Wickersham, F. A. Packard, B. J. Rosenwater,
Norbert Valin, J. T. Spring, G. W. Malcolm, J. T. Champlin, G. W.
Hotels have always been a prominent factor in the
business of the town. After the first, built by Mrs. King, several
others came into existence in rapid succession. The City Hotel, by Mrs.
Charles, on Spring Street, the Gilmore House, Planters' House and
Eureka House were among the first. Conner's Hotel on Main Street, known
as the Grand Central was the stopping place for new arrivals by the
"nine-hour line" from Peirce City. The Mountain House, by Smith &
Jackson, and Col. Zeb. Pettigrew's hotel were also in a flourishing
condition at this time. The following is a list of hotels in 1881:
Southern, Metropolitan, St. Charles, Grand Central, Pettigrew,
Mountain, Hancock, St. James, Eureka, Kentucky, Ohio. The Perry House
was built in 1881 by Joseph Perry, Esq. of Colorado. W. E. Beatty is
the present proprietor of the Southern.
The Crescent Hotel
was first opened to the public May 10, 1886, under the management of G.
W. Kittelle. The building is five stories high, and is built of a
variety of white stone, obtained at quarries on White River. The
dining-room is 100x40 feet. The building is practically fire-proof. The
Waring system of sewerage is adopted. A park of fifteen acres,
presenting many attractions, surround the hotel, The Crescent was
formally opened May 20 and 21, 1886, with an attendance of 400 guests
and appropriate exercises.
The Eureka Improvement Company was
incorporated January 15, 1883. The original organizers were Logan H.
Roots, P. K. Roots and W. P. Davison, and a temporary organization was
effected January 11, 1883. The permanent organization occurred in
August, 1884, when the present officers were elected, as follows:
President, Powell Clayton; secretary, A. H. Foote; treasurer, Logan H.
Roots. The present directory is constituted as follows: Powell Clayton,
R. C. Kerens, Logan H. Roots, A. H. Foote, F. N. Richardson, John
O'Day, H. N. Morrill, D. H. Nichols, James Dunn. The company has a paid
up capital of $269,100. Its property consists of several hundred acres
of land, a large part of which has been laid off into streets and lots,
and the Crescent Hotel, described above.
The Inter-state Gas
Company, Theodore Platt, president, has succeeded to that part of the
Improvement Company's franchise which relates to gas pipe lines. A gas
plant has been constructed and is in operation.
Bank, authorized capital $10,000, was organized February 15, 1887, with
J. T. Waddell, president, John T. Champlin, cashier, and R. J. Gray,
vice-president. J. W. Freeman was elected president in March, 1888. The
office of assistant cashier was created in March, 1888, with D. F.
Powell as its first incumbent. The banking house of John H. Cameron
& Co. was established in March, 1881, and subsequently suspended.
Mills. Webb & Brown's steam flouring-mill was built in the winter
of 1887-88. The building is frame, three stories high; it is equipped
with three double sets of rolls for wheat and one for corn. The engines
are of twenty-five-horse power.
The corner-stone of the
Co-operative Milling Company's mill was laid July 21, 1887, with
impressive ceremonies. James W. Hart is superintendent, and L. H.
Societies. -- Bethesda
Lodge No. 10, Knights of Pythias, was instituted December 5, 1880, with
the following officers: I. A. Newman, P.C.; A. J. Gibbs, C.C.; -----
Howell, V.C.; ----- Owens, P.; John Tobien, M. of E.; T. E. Clark, M.
of F.; M. Harrison, K. of R. & S. Present membership, forty.
Connected with this is a section of the endowment rank, instituted
March 26, 1881; President, Joe F. Ivey; Secretary, T. E. Clark.
Division, U.R., K. of P., was instituted with twenty-eight
members, J. T. Waddill, S.K.C.; Joe F. Ivey, S.K.L.C.; J. H. Edmonson,
Eureka Springs lodge No. 83, I.O.O.F., was instituted
March 24, 1881, with the following members and officers: S. W. Damon,
N.G.; J. Q. Cowles, V.G.; Wilson Broyles, Secretary; Joseph Willett, D.
C. Boswell, Edward Eads. Present member-ship fifty-nine.
Spring Lodge No. 386, F. & A.M., was instituted November 23, 1881.
First officers: E. T. Walker, W. M.; H. H. Moose, S.W.; H. Glitsch,
J.W. Present membership, sixty.
Eureka Chapter No. 82,
R.A.M., was chartered November 27, 1884, and was organized under a
dispensation granted April 9, 1884, to H. H. Moose, J. W. Cary, Peter
Lamlaker, Henry D. Field, J. S. Tibbs, F. F. Hastings, S. L. Hickerson,
R. W. Goudelock, D. B. Lukey, J. C. Cunningham, R. J. Gray, S. C.
Reading, F. Belllchamber, W. C. Pendergrass, j. B. Fulton.
Commandery No. 9, K. T., was constituted July 15, 1885; first officers.
J. W. Cary, E. C.; H. D. Field, G.; S. C. Reading, C.G.
The Order of the Eastern Star is represented by two organizations.
Ruth Lodge No. 10, I.O.O.F., was instituted October 25, 1886, and numbers sixty members.
W.C.T.U. was organized April 21, 1886; first officers, Mrs. C. C. Cook,
president; Mrs. Miner Davis, vice-president; Miss Kate Richardson,
secretary; Mrs. L. M. Himes, treasurer. Present membership, 100. Mrs.
J. C. Fraker is the present efficient president.
Y.W.C.T.U. was organized May 9, 1886; reorganized October 31, 1887,
with thirteen members, the officers being Miss Appie Lee, president;
Miss Hattie Fraker, vice-president; Miss Mollie Gird, secretary; Miss
Maggie Moore, treasurer.
Newspapers. -- The Echo.
In November, 1879, T. J. Hadley removed his printing outfit from
Olathe, Kas., to Eureka Springs, and issued the first number of the Echo February
21, 1880. This was the pioneer newspaper of the city. A. B. Adams was
in partnership during the first four months of its history, when he
retired. In September, 1880, Hadley disposed of the paper to H. A.
Nickell and J. B. Lowe, by whom it was continued until October, 1882.
Nickell had become individual proprietor by this time, and moved the
officce to Ozark, Ark. In August, 1883, A. B. Adams bought a printing
outfit to Eureka Springs, and Volume I, No. 1 of the Echo appeared September 5, 1883. It was a three-column, four-page paper. The Daily Echoing Nemesis first
appeared Thursday, April 23, 1885. D. P. Cloyd was associated with Mr.
Adams in this enterprise for a time. The name has since been changed to
the Daily Echo, in connection
with which a weekly edition is published, both under the proprietorship
and management of Mr. Adams. The paper is Democratic in politics.
The Times. The original predecessor of the Times was the Republican, established
in 1881 by Murphy & Penn, who retired at the end of nine months,
when the paper was run in the name of S. K. Morgan for a time. Perry
& Spears were the next proprietors, and assumed control February 15
1882, changing the name to the Times and politics to Democratic. June 20, 1885, the Times was consolidated with the Bulletin, established April 15, 1881, by Lucius Hitchcock, the consolidation taking the name of Arkansaw Times-Bulletin. Don J. Perry had previously retired from the Times. May
15, 1884, H. A. Cook succeeded Spear & Hitchcock, and in November,
1887, Sweeney & Weymouth, the present proprietors, took charge. The
name has been changed to the Times, and under the present management, the paper has returned to its original political faith.
A number of definite journalistic efforts have been made at various times.
The annual meeting of the Arkansas Press Association was held at Eureka Springs in May, 1884.