Goodspeed's History of ... Carroll County, Arkansas
Towns and Villages Con'd., p. 387.
Berryville, the county
seat of Carroll County, is situated in Prairie Township, on a branch of
Osage River, about the center of the county. The Congressional township
is No. 21 north, Range 24 west, and the town plat forms part of the
northeast quarter of Section 30. The place has the advantage of an
elevated location. It is distant from Eureka Springs fourteen miles,
from Carrollton twenty miles, and is conveniently accessible from all
parts of the county.
The town site was originally entered by
Joel Plumlee, one of the early settlers of this part of the county. He
built a house near the large spring north of the town proper, and
cleared a small farm. The surrounding prairie was covered at this time
with heavy forest undergrowth, and there was nothing to indicate that a
town would come into existence.
In 1850 Blackburn Henderson
Berry, of Gunter's Landing, on the Tennessee River, in Northern
Alabama, purchased Plumlee's farm and opened a store near the "branch."
In the same year Dr. A. A. Baker removed from Carrollton to the site of
his present residence, and engaged in the practice of his profession;
he also opened an apothecary shop. The idea of founding a town seems to
have occurred to both about the same time; and under their direction
Arnold Champlin, a school teacher and surveyor, laid out the town in
the autumn of 1850. The principal streets were named Main, Church and
Forsythe, and the entire number of lots was twenty-four. Berry built
the first business house on the northeast corner of the public square.
One Brown established the first blacksmith shop, near his former
location at the "branch." Thirteen lots were sold at the first sale.
Isaac J. Thorn and Samuel Karns were among the first merchants after
Berry. Benjamin Hailey built the first hotel, which still stands, not
having yet been retired from active service. Within two or three years
Berryville had become quite a trading point; and at the opening of the
Civil War it contained fifty-one houses, with a population of more than
During the war it was the rendezvous of the military
forces formed on both sides in the county. It was occupied for some
time by Federal forces, and the aid and comfort thus involuntarily
afforded rendered it the special object of attention from the
bushwhackers. At the close of the war but one house remained, that of
Mrs. (Hailey) Hubbard. The population had been scattered. The town was
gradually rebuilt, but more slowly than at first. Dr. Baker was
probably the first to return and rebuild; he had spent the last year of
the war at Springfield, Mo. The first merchant after the was was Frank
Hoggs, and ex-Federal soldier. He was son-in-law to Mr. Walker, hotel
proprietor of what was lately known as the Southern House. William
Sartain and P. Packwood were the next to engage in business. The
removal of the county seat to Berryville in 1876 gave to the place a
great impetus, and considering the disadvantages entailed by a long
distance from railroads, the gowth of the town has been encouraging.
The population in 1880 was 253. There are now seventy-three families,
indicating about 400 inhabitants.
Present business. -- W.
P. George, J. H. Malloy, druggists; Freeman & Bobo, O. D. Thornton
& Son, K. J. Hodge, Shaver & Neff, general stores; Lincoln
Phillips, Henry Wood, W. T. Cartwright, grocers; Mitchell & Ferree,
Nunnally & Pearce, hardware; F. S. Kirtley, harness, etc.; A. C.
Hailey, jeweler; James McCleary, hotel.
Canning and Evaporating Company, incorporated in 1888 with an
authorized capital of $20,000, was organized in June, 1888, with the
following board of directors: W. P. George, president; W. H. Ross,
vice-president; Len Nunnally, secretary; C. W. Hamilton, treasurer; J.
W. Freeman, A. S. Bobo. A three-story frame building, 24x50 feet and
twenty four feet high, was completed for the company in July, 1888. The
plant, consisting of a Plummer evaporator with a daily capacity of 150
bushels of apples or 100 bushels of peaches, was placed in operation in
The flouring mill of J. W. Freeman & Co., with engines of twenty-five horse power, has a large and increasing trade.
Newspapers. -- The Carroll County Farmer, published
at Bentonville by Robert S. Hines, originator of the Grange movement in
this part of the State, and distributed at Berryville, was the first
newspaper bearing a local name. It began and was discontinued within
the short space of one year, 1874. About the same time W. S. Tilton and
E. R. Marvin established the Carroll County Boulder at
Carrollton. They had local correspondents in nearly all the different
townships, and had a fair circulation. But Marvin, although the son of
an ex-president of the State Senate, was not gifted with any great
amount of industry, and Tilton found a more congenial location in
Kansas, where he is now editor and proprietor of the Wa Keeney World. W. W. Moore & Son, proprietors of the Fayetteville Democrat, established the Carroll County Advocate at
Berryville upon the suspension of Hines' sheet. It passed into the
control of J. C. Hanna within a few months, and in 1875 was merged with
the Boulder, under Tilton's
proprietorship, and so continued until finally supended in 1877. For a
short time the county was without an "organ;" but in 1879 Jones Bros.
established the Enterprise at Berryville. In September, 1880, it became the Weekly Eagle. Charles
& Pittman and C. T. Moore were successively proprietors for a short
time, and in April, 1881, W. J. Hailey assumed journalistic
responsibilities as its proprietor. His knowledge of the "art
preservative" was acquired under his own tuition. In September, 1881,
the name was changed to Carroll County Weekly Eagle Intelligencer. December 10, 1884, the present style, Carroll County Progress, was
adopted, when the paper reached its present style, a seven-column
quarto. J. D. Hailey acquired an interest in 1884. The paper is
Democratic in politics.
In 1883, the Berryville Enterprise, a
Republican organ, was established by a joint stock company, with Clark
W. Harrington as editor. J. C. Grim succeeded him. Jones Bros.
purchased the plant in 1884, when the politics of the journal became
Democratic. This paper was suspended in 1885.
Incorporation. -- Berryville
was incorporated March 11, 1876. The organization is no longer actively
sustained, but its existence has not been without good results, as the
improvements to the streets and public square sufficiently indicate.
Societies. -- The secret societies are Ashley Lodge No. 56, F. & A.M., Carroll Chapter R.A.M., and Berryville Lodge, I.O.O.F.
town is situated in Carrollton Township, in the southeastern part of
the county, about a mile from the Boone County line in the valley of
Long Creek. It is almost surrounded by hills.
settler upon the site of the town was one James Jones, of English and
Cherokee descent, who arrived about 1833. About 1838, when the
congressional survey of this territory was begun, he secured a
pre-emption title to eighty acres, embracing the site of the town.
Among his neighbors was Henderson Lafferty, a pioneer Methodist
preacher, but a man of shrewd business instincts. His extensive
knowledge of the large territory embraced in Carroll County enabled him
to perceive the central location of this point, and he secured Jones'
eighty acres by purchase. When the time came to select a location for
the county seat, he impressed the eligibility of this location upon the
county commissioners so successfully as to influence its selection and
purchase for the sum of $1,000, a large sum for a tract of that size in
those days. The town was surveyed by Dr. Saunders, of Huntsville, under
the direction of Henry Keys, John S. Blair and Barnett Cheatham, county
commissioners. A square of ample proportions was reserved for the
county buildings. Lots fronting on this were sold for $25, and others
in the rear for less. Notes were given by the purchasers, which were
tendered Lafferty in payment. William C. Mitchell, H. L. Denton and
John S. Blair were among the first purchasers of lots. Thus placed in
existence and named under county auspices, the town early attracted
population. It derived an impetus as the location of the county seat,
and at the beginning of the Civil War was in a flourishing and
Business Interests. -- Henderson
Lafferty was the first merchant of Carrollton, and therefore of Carroll
County. He remained in business but a few years. H. L. Denton &
Co., Tilford Denton, now living three miles from Carrollton on the
border of Boone County, being the junior partner, opened a store in
1837. John W. Peel, formerly of Batesville, and afterward county clerk;
Henry Keys, from Washington County; John S. and Joel D. Blair, were
also in business prior to 1840. Failures were numerous, notwithstanding
the wide margin for profit. Numerous changes occurred, and in 1857 the
four stores of the town were those of W. S. Poynor, J. F. Seaman, Berry
& Massingale, and Samuel Crenshaw. H. Ratcliff and Joseph Childers
were hotel proprietors. Both hotels were substantial two-story
structures, as were also the principal stores and several private
Growth Since the War. --
At the close of the war there were but two buildings standing in what
had previously been known as Carollton, and both of these were
stables. The people returned slowly, and families were sheltered
in truly primitive style. One man hauled the material of an old stable
that had been left standing in the mountains, and rebuilt it as a
house. The first dwelling-house built after the war is still standing
on the southeast corner of the square. It was built in 1866 by I. W.
Wann, a blacksmith newly arrived from Tennessee, and L. J. Blankenship.
Mr. Wann's smith-shop adjoing was next built. Edward Norris, a
Missourian, opened the first store. i. W. Wann & Bro. and Crump
& Berry were among those who engaged in business within a few
years. houses of a substantial character were built, and by degrees the
business of the place and its general appearance improved. After the
erection of Boone County, in 1869, it became evident that the removal
of the county seat to a more central point must inevitably occur, and
the growth of the town was correspondingly affected. At length, in
1878, the removal was consummated, and in the decade that has since
passed away Carrollton has not perceptibly improved. It is still the
center of a fine agricultural district, and commands a large local
trade. The present population is about 250.
Business. -- Nunnally
& Kirkham, hardware and implements; Leathers & Shipman, J. N.
Cardwell, Edward Mitchell, general merchandise; W. M. Watkins, drugs;
H. Ratcliff, O. P. Crockett, hotels. Cincinnati Mills, Nunnally &
Kirkham, proprietors, were placed in operation June 12, 1883. Engines
of twenty-five horse power supply the power. The mill has a capacity of
100 bushels of wheat and 250 bushels of corn, per day. There is a
sawmill and cotton-gin attached. The gin has a capacity of six bales a
Societies. -- Yell
Lodge No. 64, F. & A.M., was instituted November 10, 1853. The
first officers were J. F. Seaman, W.M.; M. Holeford, S.W.; A. A. Baker,
J.W. Finley Chapter No. 83, R.A.M., was instituted December 10, 1887,
with the following officers: I. W. Wann, H.P.; Kinsey Hulsey, E.K.; O.
P. Crockett, E.S. Carrollton Chapter O.E.S.; U.D. The Masonic bodies
erected a substantial hall in 1876, used also for school and church
purposes. Adjoining is the cemetery, inclosed with a neat wire fence.
This village is situated in Hickory Township, Section 4, Township 19, Range 3 west. the principal street follows the east and west line through the middle of the section.
When first visited by White settlers this locality was a prairie, and hence attracted settlement earlier than the surrounding timbered region. William Martin and ------- Yocum were living here as early as 1836. John Scott, maker of sheep and cow bells, from whom the prairie became known as Scott's prairie, was probably an earlier settler. They no doubt left when the country became more thickly settled, as their life was that of hunters rather than farmers. In 1851 the northeast fourth of the southwest fourth of Section 4 was entered by one Callin. This comprises that part of the town site south of the public road. The forty-acre tract opposite, being the southeast fourth of the northwest fourth, was patented to George L. White May 1, 1861.
The first house on the site of the town was a log church and school-house, near the present location. There were stores here prior to the war, during which they were destroyed. In the spring of 1870 W. M. Ward, a farmer on Osage, built the first dwelling house on the site of its successor; the latter was put up in 1887. He also opened a store in a building still standing. The next house was built several years later by George Shahan, and is now owned by George Crump. Shahan never lived here. Alexander Hale succeeded to his business. In May, 1874, Dr. William Thomas built the house opposite that owned by Hale; while yet in an unfinished condition it was bought by Dr. J. E. Harbert. The three houses mentioned constituted the town in 1874. A fourth was added in 1875 by L. E. Harbert, and the number slowly increased. There was but one painted house in the town in 1880. Improvement has received a great impetus within the past few years, and fewer towns in this section of the State present a more favorable appearance. The present population is about 250.
Business Interests. -- The first store was opened in 1870 by W. M. Ward; the second by George Shahan; the third by T. O. Walker, who was followed successively by Norris & Ely, Cox, Cox & Galloway, and E. S. Foreman, the present proprietor. The only fire which the town has yet known burnt the stores of L. E. Harbert and Dr. Ray. The following is a list of business men at present: W. M. Ward, general store; J. E. Harbert, druggist; Cuthbert, Son & Co. (J. H. Holder, manager), J. A. Buell, J. P. Oliver, George Cramp, E. S. Foreman, J. H. Ramsey, general stores; Merritt Stroud, grocery; A. A. Pickens, hotel. J. R. Hanby is the proprietor of a flour and saw mill and cotton-gin, erected in 1887 and placed in operation in September of that year. The engines have a capacity of forty-horse power. The building is a three-story frame structure, 40x36 feet. The cotton gin has a capacity of five bales per day.
Societies. -- Green Forest Lodge No. 404, F. & A.M., was instituted November 29, 1882, with the following officers and members: J. W. Wann, M.; J. A. White, S.W.; W. P. Kerby, J.W.; Thompson Ramsey, J.J. Grim, D. H. Smith, W. E. Graham, W. H. Bunch, J. L. Gramham, James H. Winning, J. P. Fondren, W. F. Jones, K. D. Cottrell, J. P. Harbert, J. E. Harbert, W. M. Ward, J. H. Norris, Martin McNiell, J. J. Dixon, Joseph Farming. Green Forest Chapter No. 39, O.E.S., was instituted October 28, 1885. First officers: Queen Ray, W. M.; J. W. Wann, W.P.; Elizabeth Graham, A.M.
situated at the junction of the Kenner and Fancher forks of Osage, in
Osage Township. The name was conferred by J. F. Sisco, who rolled the
first house on trucks drawn by oxen from a point several hundred yards
distant. The next building, the school-house, was erected by Isaac M.
Hoyle, who taught school four years. Sisco & Bro. were the first
merchants. The town comprises four residences, the general store of
Frank Shubert, the two drug stores of Drs. Poynor, and the
school-house. The post-office is known as Osage. There are lodges of
Masons and Odd Fellows.
Winonia Springs is
a village of about twenty houses, situated in Winonia Township, in the
midst of a valuable timber district. There is a large steam saw-mill,
and lumbering is the principal industry.
Beaver and Gaskins, stations
on the Eureka Springs Railway, are places of three or four houses each.
At the former there is a dwelling house built in 1836.