Dr. George W. England
Dr. George W. England, physician and surgeon, Kedron, Ark.
Dr. England is a man of decided intellectual ability, is ever ready to obey the call of all classes, and is in truth a physician of thorough learning and experience.
He was born in Cobb County, Ga., in 1839, and is the son of Powell and Mary (York) England, natives of Georgia, where they resided until about 1840, when they removed to Alabama and thence to Mississippi a few years later. In 1856 they came to Arkansas, settled on a partly improved farm in what is now Cleveland County, and there passed the closing scenes of their lives, dying in 1872 and 1881, respectively.
Mrs. England was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. The paternal grandfather, Joel England, was of Irish descent, was a farmer and died in Georgia. Dr. George W. England, the eldest of ten children, was reared on his father's farm, received a rather limited education, and when eighteen years of age began for himself by clearing a farm. In 1859 he came to Arkansas, and was married in what is now Cleveland County, in 1862, to Miss Mary F. Cash, a native of Elbert County, Ga., her birth occurring in 1837. Seven children were the fruits of this union, five sons and one daughter now living: Joseph M. (of Indian Territory), John I. (of Texas), George Powell, Robert A., Junius W., Pharlishea Mary (wife of Joseph Murdoch).
The parents of Mrs. England, Reuben and Mary Felicia Cash, were born in Georgia in 1814 and 1819, respectively, and resided there until 1858, when they removed to Arkansas and settled in Cleveland County. There he died in 1882, a much esteemed member of the Missionary Baptist Church. He was also a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a farmer by occupation. Mrs. Cash is still living, and is a member of the same church.
The same year of his marriage Dr. England joined Company B, Second Arkansas Cavalry, and served in Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana and Missouri. He was in the second battle of Corinth, Marksville, Poison Springs and all through the Price raid. He surrendered near Shreveport, La., after which he came home and went to farming. He resided in different parts of Cleveland County until 1875, when he settled in the woods on his present farm, now consisting of about 520 acres, in two tracts, and 125 acres under cultivation.
Until about 1877 he devoted his whole attention to farming, although for some years prior he had been studying medicine and prescribing for his own family in which there had been considerable sickness. After making a thorough study be began again to practice, and soon became one of the most successful physicians in the county, having an extended practice of fifteen miles in every direction. He is a close observer and an honest practitioner.
In politics he is conservative. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Culpepper Lodge No. 186, at Rison, and is a charter member. He and wife are members in good standing in the Missionary Baptist Church.
Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas
Published by The Goodspeed Publishing Co.; Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis