G. G. Mallett
G. G. Mallett, general merchant, Kingsland, Ark.
Prominent among the successful business enterprises of Kingsland stands that of Mr. Mallet, who is the successor of Marshall & Webb, and who engaged in his present business in 1889, with a stock of goods valued at about $1,800.
Mr. Mallett was born in Dallas County, Ark., in 1862, and is the son of George W. Mallett, a native of Mecklenburg, Va., born April 13, 1825. The elder Mallett was married in his native State, to Miss Mary A. Smith, also a native of the Old Dominion, and the fruits of this union were five children, all living.
About 1847 the parents removed to Dallas County, Ark., and Mr. Mallett was for many years one of the most prominent men there. During the war he operated a flour-mill, eight miles from Princeton, and soon after that eventful period was elected to the office of sheriff, and served in that capacity for eight years, at the same time filling the position of bureau agent for the Government. He was afterward made circuit and county clerk, and continued in this office for eight years. He was also at one time assessor and treasurer of Dallas County.
The last twelve years of his life were passed in Princeton, where he was engaged quite extensively in merchandising. He died January 2, 1877, but his wife is still living, and is a memberber of the Methodist Church, of which he was a member for many years.
He was a member of the A. F. & A. M. G. G. Mallett was fortunate in obtaining a good common-school education, and began for himself at the age of fifteen years, by merchandising with a brother, at Princeton, for a number of years. He then ventured out on agricultural pursuits, and continued at this until about 1888, when he began merchandising on his own responsibility, at Princeton, remaining there until 1889, when he came to Kingsland.
He has about 1,500 acres of good timber land in Dallas County, and is at present one of the leading business men of Cleveland County. He is a Democrat in politics, and his first presidential vote was for Grover Cleveland, in 1884. His brothers and sisters were named as follows: Claude D., Edith (widow of W. C. Holmes), Oscar and Anna W.
Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas
Published by The Goodspeed Publishing Co.; Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis