H. C. Draughon, of the firm of Draughon & Morris, manufacturers of all kinds of building material, two miles east of Kingsland on the St. Louis, Arkansas & Texas Railroad, is a native of Humphreys County, Tenn., where his birth occurred in 1837, and the son of William W. and Cassandra (Murphy) Draughon, natives of Robertson County, Tenn.; born in 1812 and 1818, respectively.
They were married in their native State, and resided there until about 1835, when they removed to Humphreys County, Tenn., where Mr. Draughon died in 1844. His widow married the second time, and died in that county in 1874. She was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Draughon was a successful hotel man for many years, and was one of the pioneer settlers of the county. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity. His father, Miles Draughon, was of English descent, and although a native of North Carolina, was one of the pioneers of Robertson County, Tenn., in which State he died. He was a tiller of the soil by occupation. The maternal grandfather, James Murphy, was a native of the Emerald Isle, Waterford, and emigrated to the United States when a young man.
He was married, in Virginia, to a Miss Lands, and after remaining a resident of that State for some time, moved to Robertson County, Tenn., where he died. His wife died in Missouri when very old. Her father, James Lands, was a resident of Philadelphia, and belonged to the colonial navy during the Revolution. He died in Virginia.
Of the seven children born to his parents H. C. Draughon was the the fourth in order of birth. He remained with his father and assisted him in the hotel business until twenty one years of age, and during that time received a fair education in the common schools. After this he served some years as a commercial traveler for a Memphis house, and the most of his life since then has been passed in the lumber business in Tennessee and elsewhere.
His marriage occurred in 1864, in Weakley County, Tenn., to Miss Mary White, a native of Dresden, Tenn., and the daughter of E. J. and Catherine White, of the same place. Mrs. Draughon died of yellow fever at Martin, Tenn., in 18 78, leaving five children, all living. Mr. Draughon's second marriage occurred in November, 1888, to Miss Ella Read, who was born in Louisiana, and who was the daughter of Rev. John C. and Fannie C. Read. Mr. Read was a regular ordained minister, and was for many years in the Louisiana Conference. He died there in 1880 and his widow about 1884.
In 1879 Mr. Draughon removed to Texarkana, where he was engaged in the saw-mill business until his removal to Kingsland in January, 1887. He is an active worker in educational affairs and spares no pains to give his children every advantage for obtaining an education. He cast his first vote for Bell in 1860, and although formerly a Whig is now a Democrat. He has been a non-affiliating Mason for many years. His present wife and eldest daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his first wife was also a member of the same.
Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas
Published by The Goodspeed Publishing Co.; Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis