James Edward Hopson
James Edward Hopson is one of the most successful and substantial men of Cleveland County, Ark., but was born in Coweta County, Ga., January 2, 1846, being a son of Briggs W. and Sarah (Franklin) Hopson, who were also Georgians, but removed to Arkansas in 1880, locating in what is now Cleveland County, then Bradley County.
They were members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he was a member of the Masonic fraternity and a Democrat in his political views, and while a resident of Georgia held a number of local offices. Mr. Hopson was a fairly successful farmer, was a man of many worthy traits of character, and passed to his long home in Cleveland County, Ark., in 1872.
James Edward Hopson was the fourth of eleven children, seven now living, and spent his school days in Georgia. In 1863 he joined Col. Flippin's regiment, Arkansas Cavalry, Confederate States Army, afterward dismounted, and served the cause he espoused faithfully and well until bray, 1865, when he was mustered out of service at Camden. He then found himself without any means, in broken health, caused by exposure during service, but he set energetically to work on the home farm, and remained with his father until the tatter's death.
Since then he has been very successful in his farming operations, and is now the owner of a valuable farm of 465 acres, with 130 acres in a high state of cultivation, all of which is the result of industry and business ability. June 10, 1869, he was united in marriage to kiss Harriet Elizabeth Owens, a daughter of William Owens. She was born in Georgia, in 1844, and her union with Mr. Hopson has resulted in the birth of eleven children, all of whom are living: Lila F., Augusta G., Thomas Evan, Joseph P., Beulah A., Jesse M., Charles A., Frank E., Willie W., Cal D. and James O.
Mr. Hopson and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he, like his father, is a supporter of Democratic principles.
Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas
Published by The Goodspeed Publishing Co.; Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis