Rev. John H. W. Overton
Rev. John H. W. Overton was born in Henry County, Ga., and is a son of James and Rebecca (Hagler) Overton, the former of whom was born, reared and educated in South Carolina, his removal to the State of Georgia taking place after he had reached man's estate, and there he was married.
His wife was brought up in Tennessee, but removed to Georgia with her people, where she met and married Mr. Overton. After the birth of the subject of this sketch they removed to Lafayette County, and after a residence of ten years there they settled in Marion County, Ala., where they made their home for four years.
They then took up their abode in Carroll County, Miss., this being in the fall of 1848, and in October, 1849, they emigrated to Arkansas and settled on the farm on which the subject of this sketch is now living, which was then in Bradley (now Cleveland) County. Mr. Overton improved this farm greatly and remained on the same until September, 1860. when he passed to his long home at the age of sixty years.
He had been a soldier in the War of 1812, was a Democrat in his political views. His wife was a member of the Baptist Church, and died in August, 1879, in her eighty-first year. Of a family of nine children born to them all lived to be grown, but only two are now living, the subject of this sketch and his sister, Mrs. Angeline J. Lemmons, of this county.
Rev. John H. W. Overton was the seventh of the family, and his early education was secured while a resident of the State of Georgia, for after coming to Arkansas he had no further opportunities for improving himself. In 1851 he began farming for himself on the home farm, continuing until June, 1862, when he joined the Confederate army, but owing to ill health was sent home in November, 183, and resumed his farm work, a calling which has since received his attention.
After his marriage, which occurred about 1854, he settled on the farm comprising 100 acres, where he now lives, the most of which is under cultivation, well improved with good buildings, a cotton-gin and saw-mill. In 1851 he became converted to Christianity, and soon after united with the Missionary Baptist Church, and in 1872 was ordained an elder in the same, since which time he has given a portion of his time to ministerial work.
He was married to Miss Susan W. Wharton, a native of South Carolina and a daughter of James W. Wharton, who came to Arkansas in March, 1848, and settled in Jefferson County. The result of this union has been a family of ten children, six of whom are living, the mother and three of her children being members of the Missionary Baptist Church also. Mr. Overton is a member of the A. F. & A. 11T., and politically is a Jacksonian Democrat.
Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas
Published by The Goodspeed Publishing Co.; Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis