William B. Sadler
William B. Sadler is a substantial acquisition to the business interests of Cleveland County, Ark., and is the proprietor of an excellent general mercantile establishment at Rison.
He was born in the county December 9, 1859, and is a son of John W. and Charlotte O. (Wharton) Sadler, who were born in Alabama and South Carolina, respectively, both being now residents of Cleveland County, the former sixty-five years of age, and the latter fifteen years younger.
They located first in Jefferson County, Ark., in 1848, but for the past thirty-two years have resided in what is now Cleveland County, and have devoted their attention to tilling the soil. The father served for about two years during the late war, being a member of a company of Arkansas Infantry, and during this time took part in a number of engagements.
He is a Democrat, has been a Mason for forty years, and he and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Of eight children born to them, five are now living, of whom William B. is the eldest.
He attended the common schools of Cleveland County, and, until twenty years of age he was engaged in assisting his father on the home farm, after which he became a salesman in the mercantile establishment of Dr. C. D. Niven, at Toledo, remaining with him two years. He then embarked in business for himself, coming, in 1882, to Rison, and opened a grocery store, adding, in 1884, a general stock of goods, which nets him a handsome annual income. He is a young man of exceptionally fine business qualifications, and has a bright outlook before him.
Miss Ella M. Emerson, a daughter of Aaron Emerson, became his wife in 1883, and their union resulted in the birth of a son, who died when an infant, his name being Edwin E. Mr. Sadler and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and in politics he has always supported the Democrat party.
Since the spring of 1887 he has been successfully engaged in the sawmill business.
Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas
Published by The Goodspeed Publishing Co.; Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis