House, Rev. Thomas Q. C.

Page 724-25
Rev. Thomas Q. C. HOUSE, local elder in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and farmer, Holly Springs, Ark. The influence and personal example which this humble and worthy minister of the gospel casts about him in every day life can not but be beneficial to those who enjoy the privilege of his companionship, for by no means the least of his gifts in the transcendent power of personal quality. He was born in Brunswick County, Va., in 1828, and is the son of Guilford Ludley and Rebecca (WHITE) HOUSE, both natives also of the Old Dominion, where they spent their entire lives, the father dying in 1832, and the mother about a year later. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. HOUSE was a school teacher by profession. He was of English-Dutch origin. After the death of his parents, Thomas Q. C. HOUSE moved with his uncle, Theophilus White, to Meriwether County, Ga., when he was seven years old, and lived with Amasa WHITE, another uncle, until he (WHITE), moved from the State, which occurred in a short time. He then went to live with Adam Spivey, and remained with him until the latter’s death, afterward making his home with Rev. J. B. Hogue, until he married. He received very little schooling, not more than eighteen month altogether, but by close application at school and in after life he became a fair English scholar. In the winter of 1845-46, he went to Izard County, Ark., then to Dallas County, where he farmed and taught school. He was married in 1848, in Ouachita County, to Miss Mary M. BELL, a native of Tennessee, and the daughter of Leander S. and Elizabeth P. BELL. Her parents moved from Tennessee to Arkansas in 1845, settled in Ouachita County, and there both died, the father about 1873, and the mother in 1888. Both were members of the Methodist Church for many years. To Mr. and Mrs. HOUSE were born fifteen children, seven sons and three daughters living, and all in Dallas County. Since his marriage, Mr. HOUSE has lived in the neighborhood of Holly Springs, where he has a fine home, 500 acres of land, a good steam gin and also a water-mill and gin. He is the third of four children, none of whom he has seen since growing up. About 1843 he united in the Methodist Church in Georgia, and in 1848 was licensed to preach, and ordained a deacon November 26, 1854, by Bishop Kavanaugh. He was ordained an elder November 7, 1858, by Bishop Early. Since that time, with the exception of one year, 1870, his ministry has been altogether local work, having preached over a large portion of Southern Arkansas and is still engaged in this good work. He has assisted in organizing many churches in Southern Arkansas, and has married many couples. He is an active temperance worker, and was a member of the P. of H., also is a member of the A. F. & A.M. Mrs. HOUSE has been a member of the Methodist Church since early girlhood, and her children all members of the same, with the exception of one.

This site is maintained and updated by Jamila (Sloan) Barahona, contact me