P'Pool, William H.

Page 730-31
William H. P'POOL, manufacturer, Fordyce, Ark. Mr. P'POOL, one of the most enterprising and successful businessmen of Fordyce, is of the Acruman, P'Pool Woolen Manufacturing of Fordyce, established in 1886, and which is doing a flourishing business. They manufacture seventy-five pounds of yarn per day and 150 yards of jeans in the same length of time. They also have a good cotton and corn-mill attached. Mr. P'POOL was born in Wright County, Mo, in 1845, and is the son of Judge Abraham and Mary (CRIDER) P'POOL, the father a native of Virginia and the mother a native of Indiana. The parents were married in Wright County, Mo., in 1845, and there they make their home at the present time, the father engaged in farming. He was county judge for five years before the war, and tax collector afterwards. He was in the Missouri State Militia, and socially is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He has been a member of the Methodist Church for a great many years, and his wife a member of the Baptist. William H. P’POOL, the eldest of a large family, received a fair education in the common schools, and when but fifteen years of age enlisted in Company D, Third Missouri Cavalry of Gen. Marmaduke’s brigade and was at Pine Bluff, Ark., Jenkins’ Ferry, Camden, Poison Springs, Little Rock, Lake Village, Mark’s Mill, etc. He was captured during the winter of 19864-65 near Chambersville, Ark., and imprisoned at Little Rock until the end of the war. He then returned to Calhoun County to his wife, who had had married just before his capture in 1864, Miss Polly BRYANT, a native of Alabama, and the daughter of Bluford and Elizabeth BRAYANT, natives of Georgia and England, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. BRYANT were married in Georgia, and emigrated to Arkansas in 1860, where they passed their last days in Calhoun County. To Mr. and Mrs. P'POOL were born seven children, two sons and three daughters now living. The first six years after the war Mr. P'POOL resided in his native county engaged in tilling the soil, and then for eight or nine years he worked at blacksmithing and woodwork in Calhoun and Cleveland Counties, the firm being Haskins & P'Pool at New Edenburg. In 1880 or 1881 Mr. P'POOL and Mr. ACRUMAN built a woolen factory at Chambersville which they operated until 1885, when it was destroyed by fire. They then erected the building they now occupy at Fordyce. Socially Mr. P'POOL is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Fordyce No. 363, an was secretary of the same for a number of years. He is also a member of the K. of L. in politics he is Democratic. Mrs. P'POOL is a member of the Missionary Church.

This site is maintained and updated by Jamila (Sloan) Barahona, contact me