Drew County Arkansas Obituaries

If you have Drew County Obituaries that you would like to share with our researchers, please send them in!

Obituary for William Lonzo Finlayson

Monticello, Oct. 11-- William Lonzo Finlayson, aged 82, of Monticello, retired foreman of a cotton mill here, died Wednesday at his home. He was born in South Carolina and he was a Methodist. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Jessie Mae Hankins Finlayson; a son, William Finlayson of Tallulah, La; two daughters,Mrs. Lynvia Nichols and Mrs.Manie Mitchell, both of Monticello; a brother, Malcomb Finlayson of Charlotte, S.C., five grandchildren and for great grandchildren. Funeral will be at 3 pm Friday at Stephens Funeral Chapel by Rev. Harold Scott and Rev. Jeff Cheatham. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetary.

Obituary for Bertha M Finlayson

Monicello, Oct. 23-- Bertha M Finlayson was born November 3, 1905 in Hartsville, MO. She departed this life Saturday, October 22, 1994, at Countywood Estates Nursing Home in Monticello, AR at the age of 88 years.

She was a housewife and a Methodist. She was the daughter of the late Melvin Hill Clutter and Maggie L Kemp Clutter.

Survivors include her husband, William James Finlayson of Monticello; her son, Bobby Lynn Finlayson of Virginia; two sisters, Inez Bridges of Monticello and Edna Medlock of Bradford; and five grandchildren.

Obituary for Rev. John Dickson

Rev. John Dickson was born in Franklin county, Ala., near South Florence, December 29, 1827.

At the age of nine years he moved with his parents to Pontotoc, Miss., in which place he lived until a young man. In 1854 he went to California and spent about three years in that State and in April, 1857 he came to Camden, Ark., and engaged in the mercantile business. He was twice married, first to Mary Bowles, Mrs. Elizabeth Trippe of Trippe Junction, Ark., is the only child now living by his first marriage. The second time to Mrs. Callie W. Tilghmon, August 11th, 1875. Four children were born to this union. Three are now living. One preceded her dear father only a few weeks to the glory world, Mrs. Maude Pittman. He wrote his daughter's obituary which was published in the Methodist the week that he died. Bro. Dickson was converted and joined the Methodist church at the age of twelve years.

There was never any doubt in his mind nor in the minds of others, about his getting religion. He was licensed to preach in July, 1857 at Camden, Ark., and admitted on trial in the traveling connection in the Ouachita conference. He was ordained deacon in 1860 by Bishop Pierce and elder by Bishop Marvin in 1867. He traveled as an itinerant preacher for about ten years and located at his own request. Bro. Riggin says of him: "He was a good preacher, a superior exhorter, an excellent singer, a successful revivalist and a very useful man, whom I esteemed very highly." After his location he settled at or near Selma, Drew county, Ark., where he has been a successful farmer and a very helpful local preacher, until his death May 24th, 1910, being more than eighty-two years of age and a preacher of the gospel for nearly fifty-three years.

Bro. Dickson was a very energetic man and held up well, taking great interest in the affairs of the church. He was taking the Daily Advocate and keeping up with the workings of the General Conference then in session. He preached his last sermon the fourth Sunday in December of last year, it being his birthday sermon. He was on the program to preach the memorial sermon the fifth Sunday in May at Old Florence, but when the time came he was numbered among the blood washed throng. A few hours before his death he asked that I be sent for to preach his funeral and with the assistance of Bro. McClintock, his pastor, we laid him to rest at Mt. Tabor church. The crowd attending the funeral was the largest I ever saw at a burying.

By: W. W. Christie

Arkansas Methodist Newspaper June 9, 1910, page 16 cols 1 & 2.

Obituary for DAVID DANIEL

David Daniel, 91, of Monticello, died July 27,2000, at Drew Memorial Hospital at Monticello.
He was born December 14, 1908, in Drew County, a son of the later Preston Daniel and Annie Pippen Daniel.
He was a retired farmer and was a decon at the Holy divine Spiritual Church at Lacey.
Survivors include three sons, Earl Lee Daniel, Jackie Daniel and Billy Daniel; eight daughters, Lucille Colbert, Lorraine shepard, Lois Williams, Lillene Franklin, Lorraine Arrington, Kay Youngblood, Larristeen Miller and Shirley Jefferson; two sisters, Ciely Sawyer and Guthie Daniels; 50 grandchildren; 88 great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren.
Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Holy Divine Spiritual Church at Lacey with the Rev. Melvin Foster officiating.� Burial will be in Lacey cemetery in Drew County by Stephenson-Dearman Funeral Home of Monticello.
Obituary for Wilma Hankins

��� MONTICELLO -- Wilma Edwards Hankins, 85, of Monticello died Friday, Jan. 26, 2001, at Trinity Village Medical Center in Pine Bluff. She was born Sept. 5, 1915, in Drew County to the late Joseph Emmett Edwards and Myra Arduengo Edwards.
��� She was the widow of Fred Hankins and a retired school teacher. She attended Jones Schoolhouse and graduated from high school at Monticello A&M which then was a high school and 2-year college. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in Home Economics from the University of Oklahoma in Norman and taught at Drew Central Schools for 10 years. She then attended graduate school in the summers at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville where she received her Masters Degree in Science. After retirement she continued her interest in education through substitute teaching and tutoring students at home. She participated in the LAY (Literacy All Year) Program and red and told stories to children. She continued her education throughout her career and retirement through attendance at classes and seminars including taking a computer course at UAM when she was 83 years old. He worked at the Drew County Museum for the last 5 years as a tour guide and served as president of the Drew County Historical Society. Her interest in local history led to her involvement with Rough and Ready Cemetery where she was instrumental in having the cemetery placed on the National Register of Historical Places.
��� "Aunt Bill", as she was known to many was an avid storyteller. She was never to tired or too busy to sit down a child and tell them a story or play a game. She specialized in older folk tales and legends which had voices and had to be "acted out" with the participation of the audience. In 1996, she compiled many of these stories into a booklet entitled "Aunt Bill Told Me, Aunt Bill Showed Me" and gave it to her relatives at the annual fish fry and family reunion held at her home.
��� She was a member of ARP Church until her marriage to Fred Hankins in 1948, when she joined the Methodist Church. She was active in church activities, Bible Study, bazaars and served as president of her circle. She enjoyed bridge and was a member of several clubs.
��� Survivors include one daughter, Carol Hankins Douglas of Pine Bluff; three sisters, Eunice Wells of Osceola, Edith Klink of Krebs, Okla., and Bennie Johnson of Holly Grove; two nieces and 11 nephews.
��� Services are 10 a.m. Wednesday at Stephenson-Dearman Funeral Chapel, burial in Oakland Cemetery with Rev. Ed Wyers officiating. Arrangements by Stephenson-Dearman Funeral Home. Memorials: Rough and Ready Cemetery, Drew County Historical Museum, or First United Methodist Church of Monticello. Visitation is 6-8 p.m. Tuesday evening at the funeral home.

Obituary for Eliza Ann Peacock

January 1, 1894-submitted to Arkansas Methodist Newspaper by W.R. Harrison-- Mrs. Eliza Ann Peacock (nee Breedlove) was born Nov. 1, 1828, and died of catarrhal fever resulting from la grippe Jan. 1, 1894. Sister Peacock was a good woman and a devout Christian, having spent almost all of her life in the Church. She professed religion and joined the M. E. Church in the early days of her girlhood, which union was never broken until the Master called he to join the triumphant hosts on high. On Sept. 19, 1850 she was united in marriage to Dr. J. W. A. Peacock in Wilkerson Co., Ga., and during the year 1858 she with her husband and family moved from that county and State and settled in Drew Co., Ark., where they lived happily together until separated by the death of her husband, which occurred Feb. 14, 1864. For a period of nearly thirty years Sister Peacock lived in widowhood, making her home in later years with her daughter, Mrs. T. J. Graves, whom she preceded into the unseen beyond only ten short days. She leaves still on this side the river one son and a daughter, one sister and two brothers, one of whom for a number of years been a member of the North Georgia Conference. To the loved ones who sorrow here we can say, you do not sorrow as those who have no hope, for your acquaintance with "Aunt Liza" only strengthens your convictions that if you are faithful you will meet her in the sweet bye and bye. May the good Lord bring you all into that happy reunion that shall never be broken.

Obituary for Mrs. Laura V. Graves

January 10, 1894-submitted to the Nashville Christian Advocate by W.R. Harrison- On Jan. 10, 1894, Mrs. Laura V. Graves (nee Peacock) fell asleep in Jesus after having lingered almost at deaths door for three long and weary weeks. Her mother, who was stricken down about the same time, lingered only a few days and died. This trouble coming upon her in her emaciated and weakened condition, was more than her frail body could endure and it soon succumbed to the unyielding grasp of la grippe and other complications. Sister Graves was born in Wilkerson Co., Ga., Dec. 9, 1853. In early childhood she joined the M. E. Church, South, at old Mount Tabor in Drew county, where her membership continued until last Wednesday morning when the Master gathered her into the shining ranks above. She was married to T. J. Graves Jan 9, 1873, with whom she lived happily until her recent death. The heart-broken husband is left to mourn his sad loss, surrounded with three little boys in a "home without a mother." This case is doubly sad in that this home in so short a time as ten days has been bereft of two good mothers. As bitter, however, as this cup of sorrow may be, it is not too full, nor too bitter, to admit into its surging contents the sweet drops of consolation afforded by a blessed anticipation of a reunion where sickness, sorrow, pain and death are felt no more. Earth has no sorrow that heaven can not heal. Then, dear loved ones of the deceased,, lay your burdens and cares and sorrows on Him who is willing to share them and bear them and soon He will bring you to a better understand of His ways in the clearer light of that bright world on high.

Obituary for H.F. Breedlove

June 12, 1892-respectfully submitted to the Arkansas Methodist Newspaper by committee members J.H. Jones, J.S. Harvey, W.A. Birch of Tillar, Arkansas-To the Worshipful Master, Wardens and Brethren of Branson Lodge No. 113, F. A. M. domiciled at Tillar, Ark.: Your committee appointed to draft resolutions, commemorative of the death of our worthy and highly esteemed brother, H. F. Breedlove, would respectfully submit the following: Bro. H. F. Breedlove was born in Wilkerson Co., Ga., Dec. 25, 1841; professed religion and joined the M. E. C'h, South, when he was fourteen years old; emigrated to this county with his parents in Jan. 1858; married Miss S. E. Peacock, Nov. 16, 1865. To them were born 8 children, viz; Annie, Dora, John, Iverson, Edward, Carrie, Thomas and George. Mrs. S. E. Breedlove, his wife, died November 5, 1883. On March 9, 1886 he married Mrs. M. L. Preston, who was his companion at his death, which occurred at 5 o'clock a.m. June 12, 1892. Bro. Breedlove was one of nature's noblemen, a consistent Christian. Being confined to his bed for five months he suffered untold pain and agony, but was always strong in the faith, steadfastly believing that the grace of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ was sufficient for him. He was a true member of Tillar Lodge 3215 Knights of Honor, a worthy member of Branson Lodge No 113 F. A. M., which fraternity he joined during the late war. Resolved, That in the death of Bro. Breedlove we devoutly bow with ______(?) awe, to the order of the Supreme Architect of the Universe, believing that the Master has called him from labor here, that he may be present in the Grand Lodge above where the Supreme Architect of the Universe presides. Resolved, That we deeply mourn the loss of our worthy brother in our Lodge here, and offer the bereaved widow, the children and relatives, our heartfelt sympathy in their sad bereavement. Resolved, That a page in our minute book be set apart for the recording of this last tribute to his memory, and that the Lodge be draped and each brother wear the usual bade of mourning. Resolved, That a copy of these resolutions be furnished the family, and also be sent to the Arkansas City Journal and The Arkansas Methodist for publication

Obituary for H.O. Smith

October 15, 1909- On last Friday night at 7 o'clock, Mayor H.O.Smith of Wilmar breathed his last. Mr. Smith has been in declining health for several months past, but was not confined to his bed until two weeks before his death, when on Friday, Oct. 1st, he went to Monticello where he was taken worse and brought back to Wilmar in Mr. C.C. Gates' automobile, taking his bed then never to get up from it again. Mr. Smith was a native of Geogia, coming to this State nearly 30 years ago, finally settling in the Barkada neighborhood and engaged in the saw mill and cotton gin business until some 12 years ago when he moved to Wilmar where he has since made his home. Since the incorporation of the town of Wilmar Mr. Smith had been at times a prominent figure in the affairs of the town. He was her first town Marshall. In the town election of 1908 he was elected Mayor, and again in April 1909 was re-elected, which office he held with credit to himself and satisfaction to the people until his death. Mr. Smith was a Mason and was buried by his bretheren with the honors of that fraternity Sunday morning in the Wilmar Cemetery, by the side of his wife who preceded him to the grave just four weeks. The services were conducted at his late home by Rev. J. W. McCain. Quite a number of Masons were present from Monticello, Warren and Lacy, who took part in the funeral services. Mr.Smith leaves a family of one daughter, Mrs. Ashcraft of Warren, and six sons, all of whom were present with him at the last, and who have the sincere sympathy of the many friends of their father.

Obituary for H.O. Smith

November 20, 1909- To the Worshipful Master, Wardens, adn Bretheren of Wilmar Lodge o. 518F and A.M.: We, our committee appointed to draft resolutions of respect on the death of our Brother H.O. Smith, beg leave to submit the following: Whereas, The merciful Ruler and Father of all has called our Brother H.O. Smith from the scenes and activities of this life into the eternal world; and, Whereas, He in his boundless mercy doeth all things well, though oftentimes his dispensations be shrouded in mystery to us and lead us into deep mourning because our finite minds are unable to fathom them; therefore be it Resolved, That we Masons bow in humble submission to His will, and while we so deeply mourn our loss, we join in extending our sympathy to the grief stricken family, and pray that the Holy One may give to them "the oil of joy" for mourning. Resolved, That we cherish and emulate the noble traits that characterized the life of our departed brother. Resolved, That we spread these resolutions upon our minutes, send a copy to the bereaved family and a copy to the Masonic Trowel for publication. J.F. Hughes, J.D.C. McClure, J.W. McCain, Committee Wilmar, Ark., Nov. 20 1909

Obituary for JOSEPH JOHNS

There is no date on this clipping, only a note that says �Journal 1900�. THE PASSING OF A PIONEER Mr. Joseph Johns of this City Expired Tuesday Night at the Age of Ninety-Two INTERRED AT ANDREWS CHAPEL Mr. Joseph Johns died at his home in this city last Tuesday night at the age of ninety-two. Interment at Andrews Chapel nine miles west of this place Wednesday morning. Thus ended an eventful life. Joseph Johns was born in South Carolina in 1808 and lived in that state until he reached manhood. His youth was cheerless and full of unrequited toil. On becoming �of age,� he went to Alabama, where he was captured and held prisoner by the Creek Indians. At the commencement of the Seminole war of the Thirties, in which the Creeks figured more or less, he escaped and joined the army of Gen. Scott which was going to the relief of Florida settlers who were being massacred by Osceola and his Seminole warriors. Afterward he fought under Gen. Jessup and (then) Col. Zachary Taylor, and took part in some of the bloodiest battles of that bloody period. He was one of a party that killed a noted Seminole chief whose death, it is said, was a potent factor in forcing Osceola to begin peace negotiations. After the death of Osceola in Fort Moultrie and the Seminoles were sent West, Mr. Johns returned to Alabama. Moving to Texas, he remained there a few months and returned to Alabama. Later he moved to Louisiana, and from there to Arkansas, settling in Ashley county in 1856. After living there two years he moved to Calhoun county, and from there to Drew county in 1870, settling in Barkada near where he now lies buried. Later he moved to this city where he resided until his death. Mr. Johns made no pretensions to learning nor religion, but followed to the last hour his creed of Honesty, Truthfulness and Charity. His promises were fulfilled as surely as they were made, and he probably gave more liberally of his means to purposes of charity than any other man of similar fortune in this city. Whatever of good he may have done was not announced from the house-tops nor heralded with trumpet and triangle, and it is probable that many recipients of his bounty knew not whom to thank for their good fortune. On one occasion he ordered a supply of groceries sent to a distressed family, and the grateful beneficiaries suppose to this day that the food was sent by the Ladies Aid Society. The local papers mentioned the occurrence, and gave the Society credit for the kind act, greatly to the old gentleman�s amusement. Those farmers of small caliber who could not secure needed supplies from other sources for lack of security, rarely went to Mr. Johns and came away in disappointment. By these his loss will be felt keenly and it will be many a day before another comes to fill his place.


Last Update Saturday, 23-Feb-2013 22:19:01 MST

County Coordinator

County Coordinator:  Gayle Triller
State Coordinator:  Betsy Mills
Assistant State Coordinator:  Jeff Kemp
 Site hosted by: ARGenWeb
Copyright © 2015 to present by the ARGenWeb Team. All
rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items
 belongs to those responsible for their authorship or
creation unless otherwise assigned.