SOURCE: History of Central Arkansas. Chicago: The Goodspeed
Publishing Co., 1889.
Faulkner County Biographies PART 1
WILLIAM H. ADAMS
William H. Adams, active in the affairs of Faulkner County as a farmer and stock-raiser, was born April 29, 1859, his parents being Charles and Ellen (Rankin) Adams. The former was a native of Perry County, Arkansas, and among the earlier settlers of that part of the county. He delighted in speaking of the early days when the locality was new and the inhabitants scarce: Indians, bears and deer being in the majority. He was also a pioneer in this community. His father coming from old Virginia, and settling here, made the Adams family actively engaged in opening up the country. Charles Adams died March 12, 1884, and his wife died in 1860. William H. Adams, their only child, has lived in the vicinity of his birthplace all his life, following the vocation of a farmer. February 4, 1885, he was married to Miss Maggie Duke, a daughter of J.R. Duke, one of the influential farmers of Faulkner County. Mr. and Mrs. Adams have two daughters: Nancy E. (born December 14, 1886) and Birtie J. (born January 9, 1889.) Mr. Adams is an enterprising young farmer, and has forty acres of land, twenty acres being under cultivation, upon which he raises cotton, corn and oats. He and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Mr. Adams is a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and politically is a firm believer in the principles of the Democratic party.
THOMAS B. ADAMS
Thomas B. Adams is possesed of sterling qualities and progressive ideas and therefore entitled to a representation in this place. Born in Louisville, Kentucky, October 25, 1864, his parents were T.T. and A.M. (Holder) Adams, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania respectively. They were married in Alabama in April, 1863, and spent a short time in that state, afterward going to Kentucky, then returning to Alabama where they lived until 1866. In 1881 they came to Faulkner County, Arkansas, and here still reside. T.T. Adams has spent several years in commercial pursuits. In 1881 he purchased a farm of forty acres, thirty five acres under cultivation. Politically he is not an active man, but casts his votes with the Union Labor party, having formally been a Democrat. Himself and wife are of English desent, and reside in Tupelo Township, three miles west from Conway. Thomas B. Adams was reared to farm life, and spent much of his time in North Alabama where he attended school, acquiring a practical education in the English branches. Since his school days he has not been content to let some other person do his reading and studying, but has been an earnest student, keeping himself informed on all important topics of the day, also following the occupation of a farmer. In November 1883, he became a member of Salem Agricultural Wheel No. 116, and was appointed recording secretary, which office he held until the summer of 1888, when he transferred his membership to Cadron Gap Wheel No. 117. In July 1887, Mr. Adams homesteaded eighty acres of land, and has about seventy acres under cultivation, taking a great pride in keeping everything in good repair. He manifests much interest in politics, and is an earnest advocate of the priciples that govern the Union Labor party, casting his vote with that party, and using all his influence in convincing others in their behalf. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Adams is an enthusiastic supporter of the free-school system of this state, and all other enterprises that are conducive to their welfare. He is a Prohibitionist and is not afraid to express his opinion upon that subject. He is a member of Conway Lodge No. 16 I.O.G.T.
FRANKLIN C. BARTLETT
Franklin C. Bartlett is a successful farmer and ********************************(pg.717) stock raiser. He was born in Newcastle County, Del., April 8, 1841, is of English descent and a relative of Gov. Bartlett, of Colonial fame. The parents, Jonathan and Eliza (Jackson) Bartlett, were both born and reared on the east shore of Maryland, and Mrs. Bartlett was a descendant of President Jackson. They were married in 1818 in Maryland, and after one year moved to Delaware, where they resided until 1849, when they removed to Conway (now Faulkner) County Ark., on a place of 160 acres, of which they at first improved some forty or fifty acres. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Bartlett, (the father) died in 1862 at the age of sixty-two years, and the mother died in 1874 aged seventy-four. They were the parents of ten children, eight of whom lived to maturity: M.H., Thomas J., John, Ann, Elether, Louise (who was the wife of A. Hartje, a retired farmer living at Conway), Franklin C. and Mary Ellen (wife of J.K. Williams, a farmer of this county). Mr. Bartlett was reared to farm life and recieved his education in the common schools of Faulkner County. At the age of eighteen he began life for himself, engaging at one timeas a farmer and again at any employement that would requite him for his time, and in 1861 he married Miss M.H. Burns, a native of East Tennessee, and a daughter of James Burns, a farmer of Pulaski County. In September, 1863, he enlisted in Company B., Sixty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and in which he served until the close of the war. He was in most of the movements of his regiment, the capture of Pine Bluff being the only important event. He was honorably discharged at Little Rock in 1866, and was mustered out at Camp Butler March 6 of the same year. During the war Mrs. Bartlett's death occured, also that of two children (twins)at the same time. At the close of the war, instead of returning to Arkansas, Mr. Bartlett resided in Clinton, Bond and other counties in Illinois for four years, and in November 1867, was married to Miss Mary White, a native of Illinois, and after his second marriage lived in that state for three years. In 1870 he removed to Faulkner County, Ark., and resided for one year on his father's place. In 1872 he selected 160 acres for himself and began to clear and improve it, and later sold it and bought forty acres where he now lives. This he cleared and otherwise improved, and he now has a fine farm and a comfortable home. By his last marriage he became the father of nine children, six of whom are living: Frank (born November 3, 1875), Augusta Louise (born November 12, 1877), Minnie (1881), Annie V. (1883) and Goldie Gertrude (1886). Mr. Bartlett is nothing if not a farmer, and a good one. He votes the Republican ticket, but is not active in politics. He has been for years a member of his school board, and his family are communicants of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of which he is a steward. He is a member of Green Grove Lodge Np. 107, A.F. &A.M. , of Post No. 3, G.A.R., Department of Arkansas, of the Wheel No. 1,795, of Woodland Lodge No. 11. K. of P. , also Eastern Star Chapter No. 47. Palmet, and belongs to Conway Lodge No. 16 I.O.G.T. Mr. Bartlett takes an active interest in schools, churches and other enterprises, and gives support to the same to the extent of his ability.
G.W. Bruce, one of the leading attorneys of Faulkner County, was born in Charleston, S.C., in 1838, and was the only child of Andrew and Sarah (Quinn) Bruce, natives of that state. The father died in 1841 when his son was a child, and shortly after his decease the mother moved to what was then Walker County, but now Whitfield County, Ga., where she still resides. G.W. Bruce was reared on a plantation near Dalton, Ga., and received his education in the schools of Whitfield County. After obtaining a good English education he read law in Caloosa County with Col. Henry S. Simms, a noted attorney of that place, and in October, 1859, was admitted to the bar of Whitfield County and began practicing Tunnel Hill. On April 13, 1873, he arrived in Faulkner County, the day after it was organized as a county, and has resided here ever since, having established a practice that is flattering to his ability. Mr. Bruce enlisted in the Confederate army for one year, on April 19, 1861, at Dalton, Ga., becoming a member of Con-
pany H, Second Georgia Infantry, and fought at the battle of Savanah, the second fight at Manassas and a number of sharp skirmishes. At the expiration of one year he went to Dauphin Island, in the Gulf of Mexico, where he remained for eighteen months, and then came to Tennessee and enlisted in the Army of Tennessee. He took part in the battle of Murfreesboro and was captured while with Gen. Hood on the way to Nashville and confined at Louisville, Ky., until the close of the war, when he was paroled and returned to Georgia. He made his home in Catoosa County until the year 1868, and then removed to Chattanooga, Tenn., where he resumed his practice and continued until 1871. His next location waas in Crittenden County, Ark., where he remained a short time, and then at Memphis, Tenn., until the winter of 1872. From there he went to Little ROck, but the following year came to Conway, where he invested in considerable land adjoining the city, part of it being known as Bruce's Addition. Mr. Bruce has purchased and opened up a large amount of land in Faulkner County, and has sold a great many lots. He now owns about 2000 acres of land and has some of the finest suburban property in the county. One of the best brick blocks in Conway, now in course of erection, is due to his enterprise in building up the city, and besides this he owns other valuable property in the city. He takes an active part in politics and votes with the Democratic party, and in 1881 represented Faulkner County in the legislature. Mr. Bruce has served as alderman on several occasions, and his public as well as his private life is beyond reproach. His practice extends throughout several counties, and his reputation as a criminal lawyer is one of the best in Central Arkansas. He has defended seventy-five murder cases since residing here, besides successfully conducting a great number of very important cases of various natures. In secret fraternities he is a member of Centre Link Lodge No. 75, I.O.O.F., and has passed the chairs in that order, as also being representative at the Grand Lodge. On January 10, 1860, he was married to Miss Sarah S. McClain, a belle of Georgia, and this union has given them nine children, of whom seven are yet living: Carrie E. (now Mrs. Cox, of Conway), Lida (now Mrs. Woodruff, whose husband is general superintendent of the Western Union Telegraph Company, at Rome, Ga.), Anna, Edward, Claude (who died at the age of two years), Roy, Madie Martin, Daisy and Nellie (the latter dying in 1886 at the age of two years). Mr. and Mrs. Bruce are members of the Baptist Church, as are also the four oldest children, and are deeply interested in educational matters, while Mrs. Bruce is well known for her generosity in aiding religious enterprises. Mr. Bruce fully appreciates the benefits of a thorough education, and has had his children trained at the best schools in Rome, Ga., and Clarksville, Tenn. He takes an active part in everything tending to promote and develop his county, and is one of the leading spirits in all worthy enterprises.
George T. Clifton, treasurer of Faulkner County, and a well known citizen of Conway, was born in Cherokee County, Ala., in the year 1844, being the eldest in a family of two children born to James M. and Annie G.(Daniel) Clifton, natives of Georgia and Alabama,respectively. The father moved to the latter State when a young man, and first engaged in planting; later he embarked in mercantile life, which he carried on with great success. He voted the Democratic ticket, and was a well knownn politician during his life, serving two terms in the legislature in a manner that won the approval of his constituents. In November 1861, he organized a company in Cherokee County, which he carried to Nashville, Tenn., and mustered in the Fourth Battalion Alabama Infantry, being appointed to the rank of major. He served with this regiment until after the battle of Shiloh, and then returned home and organized a company of calvary, which he commanded until the close of the war. Maj. Clifton subsequently resided in Alabama for about one year, and then moved to Arkansas, where he located in Union Township (then Conway, now Faulkner County), on a plantation which he had purchased in 1858 or 1859. On his arrival he immediately began improving and cultivating the land, and made his home on **************************************************************************(pg. 719) and near by, until the year 1870, when he moved to Conway, where he resided until his death, March 2, 1880, his first wife having preceded him in 1849. In 1868 Mr. Clifton had commenced the study of medicine, making a success of his profession. After his first wife's death he was married again, in Alabama, to a Miss Clark, who bore him three children: Nancy A., Harrison C. and Elizabeth C., of whom only the first named is living. The widow resides in Perry County, Ark. George T. Clifton, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the schools of Alabama, and at Union Academy. In 1861 he joined the Confederate army, with his father, and enlisted in the latter's company, in which he served until the year 1864, when he was transferred. He fought at Shiloh, Vicksburg, Port Hudson, Corinth, Baton Rouge, Champion's Hill, Plantersville and Selma, and his war record, while perhaps not as brilliant as his father's, was, however, a model of bravery in each action. In May, 1865, he was paroled, at Kingston, Ga., and returned to Alabama, where he resided until 1866, and then came to Arkansas. His first venture was to invest in a plantation, which he successfully cultivated and then sold. After that he purchased a plantation of 100 acres, a short distance outside of the corporate limits of Conway; and besides this property he owns several valuable town lots in the city of Conway. In politics Mr. Clifton is a staunch Democrat, and an influential man with his party. He is now county treasurer, and was the third man elected to that office in Faulkner County (in 1876), and is now serving his seventh term in succession. In secret orders he is a member of Green Grove Lodge No. 107, A.F. & A. M., and is secretary of that order, besides having served two terms as Worshipful Master. He also belongs to Woodland Lodge No. 11, K. of P., and has passed the chair in that fraternity. On December 31, 1867, he was married, in Conway County, to Miss Sallie Tyler, a daughter of B.H. Tyler, one of the pioneers of Conway County, but now residing in Faulkner County. This union gave them four children: Annie G., James A., Mary L., and Sallie, the third dying in July 1886, at the age of eight yearrs. Mr. Clifton lost his excellent wife on October 25, 1885, and on November 22, 1886, he was married to Miss Ida Payne, of Mississippi, an amiable and attractive young lady, and a daughter of Mrs. P.E. Benedict, who now resides in Conway. Mr. Clifton is a member of Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and his wife is a member of the Baptist. His first wife also belonged to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. During his residence in Faulkner County Mr. Clifton has noted a vast change in its agricultural and industrious affairs, as well as in its religious and educational interests. He remarks that the county is rapidly developing, and looks forward with the hope that Faulkner will soon be the leading community. This wish will no doubt be gratified, is all of its citizens are as enterprising and as liberal in their efforts to build it up as he is himself.
C.W. Cox, the present efficient postmaster of Conway, and a lawyer of note, was born in Indianapolis, Ind., in 1854, and was the fourth in a family of five children, born to John T. and Catharine (Rowen) Cox, of Ohio, who moved to Indiana a few years after their marriage, and changed their location to Coffey County, Kas., when their son C.W. was quite young, settling near Ottumwa. The parents were pioneers of that section, and the father became one of the leading men of Coffey County, in after years. He was a well-known politician and a prominent figure in the early history of Kansas, and was the man who designed the coat-of-arms for that state. He held a number of high public offices, and was the secretary of the United States senate committee on public lands, during which time he resided at Washington, D.C. In 1872 he removed to Little Rock, Ark., and remained in that city until the year 1881, when he went to Fredonia, Kas., where his death occurred in October 1888, his devoted wife dying in August of the same year. From 1874 to 1878 he was reciever of the United States land office, at Little Rock, Ark. His son, C.W. Cox, the principal of this sketch, was reared in Kansas and educated at the public schools of Ottumwa and Burlington, and the University of Lawrence, Kas. He entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, in 1875,*******************************************************************(pg. 720)and graduated from that institution with the class of 1877. In 1878 he commenced to practice his profession at Conway, Ark., where he has resided ever since, and has established a reputation among the legal fraternity that is enviable and deserved. Mr. Cox is a Republican in politics, and a strong support to that part whenever he uses his influence. He was appointed postmaster in 1889, and is now one of the most popular men that has ever filled the position. He was married in December 1882,in Conway, to Miss Carrie Bruce, of Georgia, by whom he has had three childrenm two of them yet living: John Bruce, Quinn Cazad (who died at the age of two years) and Charles Herbert. Mr. Cox is a close observer of the changes that take place in his county, and notes that a decided improvement is growing more perceptible every day, in educational, industrial and agricultural matters. He established the Log Cabin in 1879, and conducted it as a Republican paper for one year, when he sold it. In every worthy enterprise he is one of the foremost citizens to offer his aid, and his name is one of the most respected in Faulkner County. He has never held any public office until appointed to the position he now holds, and was never a candidate for an office; however the confidence of the members of the bar, in his ability and integrity, has been evidenced by his election as special chancellor of the chancery court, a position of great honor, which he filled with dignity and ability.
URIAH G. DICKENS, M.D.
(pg. 720)** Uriah G. Dickens, M.D., is the son of Uriah and Susan Dickens and was born in Carroll County, Tenn., June 9, 1852. The father is of of English stock and a native of North Carolina, his wife, also, coming originally from that state. They went to Tennessee in about 1833, at a time when the country was comparatively new, and remained there until the fall of 1860, when they emigrated to Arkansas. They are the parents of eleven children: Judy A., Emily K., Tyresa, George E., and William Louis (all deceased), Thomas M.E.R., Cassandra, Francis M., and Susan (all married). Our subject, the tenth child in the family, was reared on the father's farm and recieved his education from the common schools. Upon completing his literary schooling, he began the study of medicine, at the age of twenty-four, under Enoch Davis, and in 1877 entered upon practice at Old Hickory post office, moving after three years to Enola, Faulkner County. After remaining in Enola for four years, he located in Pope County, but for the last four years has been practicing near Preston, Faulkner County, with excellent success and in a manner which has won for him the confidence of all. In 1872 the Doctor married Miss Mary Francis Polk, a descendant of James K. Polk, and a daughter of John Polk, a farmer of Pope County and a native of Georgia. Dr. and Mrs. Dickens have six children living: Alice E., George W., Martha S., T.M.C., Mary F., and J.M. Mrs. Dickens is a devoted member of the Christian Church, and he is a member of the Masonic order. He carries on farming in connection with his practice.
Barzalia Elliott, a farmer and stockman residing in Section 5, Township 6, Range 13 East, Fork Township, Faulkner County, was born in South Carolina, March 15, 1828. Jesse and Jane Elliott, his parents, lived in South Carolina some years and were of English descent. Grandfather Elliott emigrated to South Carolina a short time after the close of the Revolutionar War, having served seven years. Barzalia Elliott received his education in his native state, and in 1856 emigrated to Alabama, where he became acquainted with, and afterward married Miss Eliza Coffman, a native of Alabama. Her parents were from East Tennessee and of Holland origin. By this marriage six children were born, four of whom are yet living: Luzilla (born February 13, 1859, living at home), George King (born June 4, 1862, a teacher of penmanship in Johnson, Tex.), Ruthey (born in 1867, lives with her parents), William (born in 1866, married Miss Alabama Tilley, a native of Arkansas, her parents being natives of Alabama). In the spring of 1867 Mrs. Elliott died, and was interred in the King cemetery, in Fork Township. In December Mr. Elliott was married to Miss Louisa Wilcox, of Alabama, the wedding taking place at the home of the bride's brother-in-law. Nine children were born of this marriage, six of whom are still living:*********(pg.721) J.T. Elliott, Charles, Jane, Hattie, James and Blueford. In 1859 Mr. Elliott came to Arkansas, locating on B.V. King's place, called East Fork, where he established himself at the trade of blacksmithing, making and repairing everything needed by a farmer, and, in fact, doing all kinds of work in his line for the whole county hereabouts. He worked at this calling until June 1862, when he was enlisted in Company F., Second Regiment Trans-Mississippi department, and served about two months, then being transferred to an engineer corps of the same army and serving until captured at Atlanta, in 1864. He remained in the prison at Atlanta two months, then went from there to Chattanooga, where he took the oath of allegiance and later was transferred to Nashville, where he was engaged as teamster for the United States Government for a period of three months. Going to Little Rock he was employed as blacksmith for the Government, at the rate of $75 per month and rations. In May, 1860, he returned to Conway (now Faulkner) County, at his old stand, and again opened his shop, resuming his trade of general blacksmithing. This he continued until 1870, when he bought the farm where he now resides, making a purchase of 300 acres of land. Only twelve acres of this were under fence, and one little log-cabin was the only improvement. Mr. Elliott has now seventy-five acres under a high state of cultivation, and has also erected good houses, barns, etc., and such buildings as are seen upon well-ordered Arkansas plantations; he has also given considerable attention to horticulture. Mr. Elliott and Luzilla and Ruthey are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he is also a member of East Fork Lodge No. 327, A.F. & A.M., having served one term as Junior Warden. He was made a Mason in Green Grove Lodge No. 107, at Conway. Though taking no active part in politics, he votes the Democratic ticket. He is a warm friend of school matters, and has served as a member of the school board. Mr. Elliott has lived to see the rapid and complete growth of the county, and is respected and esteemed by all who know him.
GREEN BERRY EVANS
Green Berry Evans is numbered among the substantial farmers and stock-raisers of this county. He is now residing on Section 34, Stone Township, and was born in Marshall County, North Ala., January 3, 1842, being the son of William and Mary (Hill) Evans. Mrs. Evans was the daughter of John Owen Hill, also a native of that state, who was married in Tennessee. Col. Hill participated in the Seminole War, and there obtained his title as colonel commanding a regiment of the United States troops. Mr. Evans recieved his education in Marshall County, in the subscription schools, and was reared on a farm, making his home with his parents until the age of twenty-two. In 1860 he went abroad with his uncle, Green B. Hill, landing at a port in France, where he remained about six weeks, and returning to America landed at New Orleans, going thence by steamer to Memphis, Tenn., and about six weeks later by boat to Gunter's Landing, on the Tennessee River; from there his home, nine miles distant, was reached. Here he remained until the fall of 1860. After stopping at Memphis he went to St. Charles Landing, on White River, and engaged with Col. Stearns, a planter (living near St. Charles), as an overseer. In the spring of 1861 he returned to Memphis and enlisted as first lieutenant of Company A, Third Regiment Tennessee Calvary, and on the promotion of Gen. Forrest to command he was unanimously elected as captain of his company to fill the vacancy, serving as such to the end of the war, taking part in all the exciting battles under that famous general. While serving as general he was wounded by a minie ball, and though this was only a flesh-wound, a deep scar will ever remain to tell the tale. At the surrender of Gen. Forest, Capt. Evans took the old company and went to Mississippi, without having surrendered, and disbanded his company in Mississippi. He then returned to Arkansas, in 1865, and located in what is now the town of Mount Vernon, taking an active part in the clearing of the town site of that place. After renting land, farming and horse-trading for one year, he moved to Johnson County, where he also continued the business of farming and horse-trading, the latter*****(pg.722)***occupation taking him into the Indian Nation, where he bought horses and drove them back to Arkansas, here disposing of them. In the fall of 1871 he came to Conway (now Faulkner) County, and established himself as a merchant at what was then, and is still, called Cadron Gap, supplying the men then engaged in building the FOrt Smith & Little Rock Railroad. He homesteaded forty acres of land, to which he subsequently added, and also carried on business there about two years with good success. In 1872 he was married to Miss Martha Ann Satterfieild, a native of Georgia, whose parents came to Arkansas at an early period. By that marriage two children are still living: William Thomas Evans (born April 10, 1874), and Edward Job Evans (born February 9,1876). During the winter of 1878-79 Mr. and Mrs. Evans made a trip to Georgia to visit her aged grandparents, Satterfield, the grandfather being nearly one hundred years old. The following summer (August 13, 1879), Mrs. Evans died, and was buried in Stone Cemetery, in Faulkner County, Ark. She was a faithful member of the Missionary Baptist Church. The 160 acres of land owned by Capt. Evans on the northeast section of Section 36, and also the forty-acre homestead, on Section 12, he cleared and improved, and in 1876 sold the forty, then clearing about 100 acres on Section 36, where he erected a good dwelling, two tenant houses, barns, etc. In 1880 Capt.Evans, with his two little boys, made a trip to Texas to visit his sister, Mrs. Martha Thompson, and tarried about eight months, and on May 9, 1881, was united in marriage to Miss M. Hovis, a daughter of Mr. Archie C. and Savila (Wilson) Hovis. By this union seven children were born (four of whom are still living): Ira, Lee (twins, now deceased), John Calvin, Henry Alvin, Lula Hazeltine and Luella. November 10, 1888, Capt. Evans purchased a farm of 320 acres, 100 of which are now under cultivation, and on this he resides at the present time, owning all told 480 acres, 160 under cultivation. He has usually bought his horses and mules, but has raised and sold cattle and hogs quite extensively. The Captain and Mrs. Evans are members of the Baptist Church, and he was made a Mason in Green Grove Lodge No. 107 (to which he still belongs):Col. Clifton being Master at the time of his initiation, Capt. Evans is, and always has been, a liberal contributor to all religious, social and educational enterprises. A fact that speaks well for him is, that he was never implicated in a lawsuit or anything of the kind. A peaceable and good citizen, he commands the respect of all who know him.
BENJAMIN S. FARROW
Benjamin S. Farrow is acknowledged to be a prominent figure in commercial circles, and one of the most enterprising merchants of Faulkner County. He was born in Montgomery County, Ala., in the year 1843, and was the fourth in a family of six children born to John M. and Susan M. (Smith) Farrow, of Virginia. The parents moved to Missouri in 1829, and located in Montgomery County, where the father engaged in mercantile life, and resided there for a number of years. For several years he was county and probate judge of that county. In 1872 he moved to Crawford County, in the same State, where he was elected to the same office, which he filled with a dignity and wisdom that has never been surpassed. His death occurred in December 1881, but his excellent widow survives him, and is residing in Crawford County. Benjamin was reared in Missouri, and recieved his education in the public schools of Danville, in that State. After finishing his studies he entered his father's establishment, and remained with him until he reached his twenty fourth year. At that time the Civil War had just begun, and he enlisted in the Confederate Army, becoming a member of the Home Guards, in which body he served with distinction. After the war was over he returned to Missouri, and in 1867 was married, in Montgomery County, to Miss Sarah J. Woods, of that State. He then settled with his bride at Jonesboro, where he embarked in commercial life, and continued in business for a number of years with great success. He also farmed for some length of time in Crawford and Montgomery Counties, but in 1869 sold out his business and agricultural interests in Missouri and moved to Arkansas, making the entire trip in wagons. His first settlement was at Mount Vernon, in Faulkner *******(pg.723) County, where he engaged in various occupations before deciding on anything definite, but in 1882 he changed his location to Conway, where he opened up a first-class hotel, in which business he continued into his present pursuit, in 1888. Mr. Farrow's business has rapidly increased since his opening, and he is now contemplating a removal to a larger building and adding to his stock. He carries everything found in a first-class general store, and has become one of the most popular merchants in that section. He is an active politician and an ardent Democrat, and has made the canvass for sheriff. In Montgomery County, Mo., he served as justice of the peace in a highly credible manner, and in Faulkner County Ark., he has been a member of the town council with equally as good results. In secret societies, Mr. Farrow is a member of Green Grove Lodge No. 107, A.F.&A.M., and Woodland Lodge No. 11, K.of P. He also belongs to Faulkner Lodge No. 1624, K. of H., and is Assistant Dictator in that order. Four children were born to the union of Mr. and Mrs. Farrow, of whom two are yet living: Evalina Margaret died at teh age of eight years, and Susan Matilda died when three years old. Those living are Edith Mary and Claudius Golder. In religious faith, Mr. Farrow and his wife are members of Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and take a deep interest in religious and educational matters. The former is an active and liberal citizen in aiding all worthy enterprises for the advancement of his county, and is held in high esteem by the entire community.
JOSEPH J. FOWLER
Joseph J. Fowler, intimately identified with Faulkner County as one of its prominent planters, was born in Lauderdale County, Ala., in the year 1840, and is a son of H. and M. (Nolan) Fowler, born in South Carolina, in 1806, and Alabama, in 1813, respectively. The father moved to Alabama with his parents in 1818, and met his wife her a number of years afterward. Shortly after their marriage they removed to Mississippi, and when Joseph was seven years old the parents came to Arkansas, and in 1852 located in Lonoke County, where the father died in 1857, and the mother in 1863. The elder Fowler was a merchant and farmer by occupation, and a son of John Fowler, of South Carolina, whose father was Joseph Fowler, a native of England, and a soldier in the Revolutionary War. The grandfather on the mother's side, Thomas Nolan, was also a soldier during the Revolution, and fought at the battle of New Orleans, under Gen. Jackson. Joseph J. was the second child of three sons and four daughters born to the parents, and since he has been seven years old has resided in Arkansas. When nineteen years of age he entered the wagon-making establishment of his father, where he learned the trade, and followed that calling until the year 1870. He then turned his attention to farming, at which he has continued ever since. He was married in lonoke County, in 1861, to Miss Susan I., daughter of Samuel and Harriett McEwan, of Ohio and Kentucky, respectively, and had six children by this union, of whom two sons and one daughter are yet living. Soon after his marriage he removed to Texas, and on the outbreak of the war between North and South, ht enlisted in the the Fourth Texas State Calvary Troops, Confederate Army, and served in that body until he was honorably discharged. On his return to Arkansas he joined the Twelfth Arkansas Regiment of Calvary, and took part in a great many battles and skirmishes, until October, 1864, when he retired from the army to enjoy the peace he had so nobly won. Mr. Fowler then located in Lonoke County, and resided there until 1870, when he moved to his present farm, which was then but very little improved. He now has seventy-five acres under cultivation, and altogether owns about 120 acres of the most fertile land in Central Arkansas, situated some five and a half miles east of Conway. In politics he was formerly a Whig, but is now an independent voter, and uses his influence for the man he honestly thinks entitled to office. He has been a prominent member of Lonoke Lodge No. 51, A.F.&A.M., for twenty years. Mrs. Fowler has belonged to the Methodist Church for some time, and is a devout Christian woman, who takes delight in assisting any worthy cause. One of Mr. Fowler's most intimate friends is the present Governor of Arkansas, the Hon. J.P. Eagle, who *****(pg. 724)was his playmate and companion in childhood, and a staunch friend in later days.
As one of the most promising of Arkansas' younger attorneys, and who has already made an excellent reputation in his profession, Mr. Frauenthal is favorably known. He was born in Louisville, Ky., in the year 1862, being the third of seven children born to Jacob and Yetta (Landan) Frauenthal, of Bavaria, Germany. The father came to this country with his parents in 1850, and settled in Louisville, Ky., where he was afterward married, and also embarked in mercantile life. Some yearrs later he moved to Russellville, Ky., and engaged in business up to the year 1883, when he came to Conway, Ark., but he has since then given up active pursuits, and both parents live a retired life in that city. Samuel was reared in Louisville, and recieved his education at the Bethel College, of Russellville, Ky., entering in 1874 and graduating with the class of 1880. He then commenced reading law in that city, and continued for one year, when he went to Memphis, Tenn. At that city he resumed his reading until he had attained a proficiency in the legal profession, and returned to Russellville, where he was admitted to the bar August 5, 1881. The following year he came to Conway, Ark., and entered actively upon his chosen calling in Faulkner and adjoining counties, soon establishing a reputation, which, for a young attorney, was of the most flattering nature. He now has a large clientage throughout the surrounding country, and a finely appointed office in which to transact his business, as also a good law library. He is well known in political circles, and votes with the Democratic party. Educational matters have always possesed a deep interest for Mr. Frauenthal, and at one time he was a director on the school board. He has also been a member of the town council, and was several times a delegate to the State convention. In secret socities Mr. Frauenthal belongs to Woodland Lodge No. 11, K. of P., and is Chancellor Commander in that order. In every matter relating to the development and growth of Faulkner County, he is one of the leading spirits. He is a man of keen observation, great tact and shrewdnessm and bids fair to be the leading attorney of this county in the near future.
DAVID R.B. GREENLEE
David R.B. Greenlee, an esteemed and able practicing physician and surgeon of Faulkner County, was born December 8, 1829, in Rockbridge County, Va., his parents being David and Hannah (Grigsby) Greenlee, both of whom were also natives of Rockbridge County. David Greenlee was born in 1781, and died in the county of his birth. He was a son of John Greenlee, likewise of that county, of which he was the first white child born, and the only one surviving the Indian massacre in 1750. Descended froom Scotch blood, he was the last sheriff of the English colony in Virginia. Hannah (Grigsby) Greenlee was born in 1799 and died in 1862, having spent her life in her native county. She had seven daughters and five sons, four now living. David R.B. Greenlee recieved his literary education in Emery College, Washington County, Va., and his medical insrtuction in the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, graduating in 1852. He commenced the practice of medicine the same year in Mercer County, W. Va., where he remained five years, spending the next four years in Chicot County, Ark., after which he went to Harper's Ferry, and joined the Confederate army as a private in Company C, First Virginia Cavalry. He took an active part in all the principal battles in North Virginia excepting Seven Pines, and recieved a wound on the left leg, being struck by a shell. At the close of the war, returning to Chicot County, Ark., Dr. Greenlee resumed the practice of medicine, and remained there until 1868, when he moved to Wichita, Kas., which was his home long enough for him to see the wilderness blossom into a town of 3,000 inhabitants. In 1885 he removed to Faulkner County, where he has an extensive practice, being justly considered one of the most skillful physicians and surgeons of this part of the country. In December, 1871, Dr. Greenlee married Mrs. Amanda (Boone) Gifford, daughter of Hezekiah Boone, and great grandniece of Daniel Boone. She was the mother of three children by her first husband, two of whom are living: Anna *******(pg. 725) (wife of W. B. Hergis) and Fred B. Two daughters are the result of her marriage with Dr. Greenlee: Maude G. and Kate T. Dr. Greenlee has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1852, having taken nine degrees in that order. He was representative to the Grand Lodges in Virginia, Kansas and Arkansas, and is one of the oldest Masons in Faulkner County. He is a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and held the position of school director several years iin Wichita, Kas. Politically a Democrat, he cast his first presidential vote for Scott, being a Whig in those days. Dr. Greenlee and wife are useful members of the Presbyterian Church.
L.B. Griffing, proprietor of the representative dry goods, notion and millinery house of Conway, first established his business here in 1887, and carries one of the largest and most complete stocks of dress goods in Faulkner County. He was born in Sevier County, Ark., in 1856, and was the oldest in a family of seven children born to W.L. and Jerusha (Profis) Griffing, of Mississippi and Arkansas, respectively. The father first came to the latter State in the year 1831, and settled in Sevier County with his parents. He was only four years of age at that time, and was reared and remained in that county until his marriage. During the war he enlisted in the Confederate army, and served gallantly in an Arkansas regiment. In 1866 he removed to Texas, where he remained for two years, and in 1868 returned to Mississippi, but in 1871 came back to Arkansas and settled in Franklin County, which he made his permanent home. He purchased a large plantation and turned his attention entirely to its cultivation, and some years afterward was known as one of the most successful planters in his county. Both parents are yet living, and enjoying life at a mellow age. L.B. Griffing was reared on a farm and attended school in Logan County, where he acquired a perfect mastery of the English branches. After completing his studies he taught school himself for several terms, and next accepted a position with one of the business houses of Webb City, Franklin County. From there he moved to Conway,in March, 1881, and again entered mercantile life, being employed by the firm of Sneed & Co., with whom he remained two years. After severing his connection with this house he embarked in the general merchandise business himself, with a Mr. Witt as partner, under the firm name of Griffing & Witt. This remained unchanged for two years, but at the end of that period Mr. Witt withdrew and Mr. Griffing carried on the business alone until the year 1886, when he branched off into hotel-keeping. The following year, in a partnership with Mr. A.R. Witt, he formed the firm of Griffing & Witt (drugs), and in the spring of 1888 he established his present business. Mr. Griffing's patronage has rapidly increased, and now it can be said that he is considered among the very foremost in that business in Faulkner County. He carries a heavy stock in dress goods, millinery and, in fact, everything that pleases the feminine mind, and his business is growing largely. He is not an active politician, but his sympathies are with and he votes the Democratic ticket. He is a member of Woodland Lodge No. 11, K. of P., and was initiated a member of that order in 1881. In 1882 he was married in Conway to Mrs. Mary A. Johnson, daughter of J.E. Martin, a prominent citizen of that city. This union gave them three children: Floyd M., Louis D. and Effie L. Mr. and Mrs. Griffing are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the former takes a deep interest in religious and educational matters. He is a keen observer of mankind and events, and has watched with practiced eye the progress of Faulkner County from the first day of his arrival to the present. He is one of Conway's most enterprising citizens, and a liberal contributor to any public or private affair for the county's development.
THE HIGGS FAMILY
Thomas J. Higgs (deceased), father of this interesting family, was a son of Thomas Higgs, one of the early settlers of Georgia. Thomas J. Higgs was a farmer of Western Tennessee, and was married in 1845, to Miss Sarah Reynolds, a native of Kentucky. They moved to the State of Mississippi, where Mr. Higgs' death occured, on May 8, 1860. Mrs. Higgs removed from Mississippi to Arkansas, in 1882, where she lives with her son, Thomas H. (who was born January ********(pg. 726) 11, 1846) his occupation being that of a school teacher and farmer. J.C. Higgs was born July 25, 1856, and recieved a good education in the common schools of Tennessee. At the age of eighteen he commenced teaching school, and followed his chosen profession of teaching for several years. In 1882 he joined his mother's family in Conway, Ark., and once more engaged in teaching, which he carried on for six years. Mr. Higgs is a member and Junior Deacon of Green Grove Lodge No. 107, A.F. & A.M., at COnway, Ark., having been made a Mason in East Fork Lodge No. 327, in Faulkner County, Ark. He is also a member of Palmetto Chapter No. 47, of the Order of the Eastern Star. He was secretary of East Fork Lodge No. 327, one year, and October 20, 1886, at the meeting of the Grand Chapter of Arkansas, at Russellville, was elected Grand Secretary for the State, and has been three times re-elected--the second time at Harrison, the third at Little Rock, the fourth time at Conway,and is the present incumbent. He is a staunch Democrat, and exerts a local influence in that direction, being always among the first to give support to enterprises of a public charactor and is liberal in his contributions to the same. Mrs. Higgs and her family are members of the Christian Church, and are well known for their generosity in matters pertaining to that church.
GEORGE GREEN HOWARD
George Green Howard, besides being occupied in agricultural pursuits, has for some time served as minister of the Gospel throughout this locality, being the means of doing much good. He was born in Obion County, West Tenn., on the 24th of November, 1844, his father, Ellison S. Howard, a Virginian by birth, born in 1815, having died in 1879 at Williamson County, Ill., where he had resided since 1864. He was a farmer by occupation, and was of English descent. His wife, Agnes (Hawkins) Howard, is a native of Gibson County, Tenn., and was born in 1820; at the present time she is a resident of Conway County, Ark., and is the mother of nine children, four of whom are living; two reside in Illinois, and one in Conway County, Ark. The subject of this sketch, a prominent resident of Faulkner County, recieved his education in West Tennessee, and in 1866 married Miss Polly Jane Gray, originally from Tennessee, where she was born in 1847. Six children have blessed this union: Mary M. (wife of George A. Melton), William E., Cyrus G., Maggie M., George A. and Ernest J. Mr. Howard emigrated to Williamson County, Ill., in 1872, and there remained until 1879, removing then to his present home, where he owns a nice farm of eighty acres, about thirty-five acres being under a high state of cultivation. He is the owner of a cotton-gin which he purchased in 1885, and has recently erected a saw mill with a capacity for cutting 3,000 feet of lumber per day. Mr. Howard takes great interest in the public affairs of his county, and politically is a staunch Democrat, having cast his first vote for Seymour. He has held the office of justice of the peace of Wilson Township for over six years, and is also one of the directors of the school district. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In 1885 Mr. Howard commenced to preach according to the doctrines of the Missionary Baptist Church, and this has since continued. Himself and wife are devoted Christian workers, and have the respect of all in the community in which they reside.
DR. JOHN JOSEPH JONES
Dr. John Joseph Jones is a prominent practitioner near Conway, Faulkner County, and was born in Hickman County, Tenn., August 10, 1824. His parents are Allen and Elizabeth (Hicks) Jones, the former a native of North Carolina (born in 1799) and his wofe of Georgia. Allen Jones' father removed to Tennessee in 1809, his family accompanying him, and, settling on a farm ten miles below Columbia, by their energy and pluck, succeeded in converting a wilderness into a vauluable farm, his wagon being the first to make a track where Columbia now stands. In the War of 1812 his oldest son, an uncle of our subject, entered the army, and was in the battle of New Orleans. Three of John's uncles took an active part in that famous battle. Joseph Jones was one of five children. His family consists of fourteen children: Abner, Clarissa, Allen, George, Hannah, Pollie, Nancy, Jeemes, Stephen, John J., Joel, William, Syrena and Joey. Elizabeth Hicks was one of ten children, a daugher of Berry Hicks,*****(pg. 727)** who was a Revolutionary soldier with Gen. Greene. Of the Hicks family there were the following: Joshua, John, Temple, Elijah, Thomas, Berry, Gilbert, Pollie, Catherine, Elizabeth and Sarah. Allen Jones and Elizabeth Hicks were married in 1822. To this union were born ten children, of whom the subject of this sketch, John Joseph, was the eldest: following him came Martin J., Parmelia C., George W., James R., Thomas, Joicy, Harriett and Vandever. The early life of John Joseph was spent in Tennessee, where he commenced to fit himself for his professional career as early as seventeen years of age. He began the regular study of medicine in 1845, and was ready to practice three years later, near Courtland Ala., where he remained until April 15, 1851, then removing to Arkansas. Practicing at Cadron Cave, he also put in the first stock of drugs at Springfield, and the first saw-mill (except one) in the county, sawing the lumber and erecting the first drug store in the town (in the year 1853). November 15, 1857, he moved to Springfield, that place being the county seat. He bought some land and entered more until he is now the possessor of forty acres of valuable land. In the year 1876 he removed with his family to Conway, where he has lived ever since, with the exception of three and a half years spent traveling through Texas, visiting San Antonio, Pearsall, and he also stopped in Gallenas seven months, practicing medicine. Once more starting on his travels, and seeing many places of interest, he set sail for Arkansas May 7, 1887. Mr. Jones was married April 28, 1856, to Miss Marietta Gratehouse. Eight children came to gladden their home, only three living to reach maturity: Hybernia, Elizabeth Eudora, Martha, Mary Magdaline, Marietta, Joseph Arthur, Laura and Margaret Tennessee. Joseph is living in Center Ridge, Conway County, and Martha is the wife of Edward Vann, living at Plummerville. Laura is the wife of William Gardner, and lives at Plummerville. Mrs. Marietta Jones died June 3, 1870, and on December 20, 1870, Mr. Jones married Miss Anna Watson, who was born and reared until nine years old, in County Carlow, Ireland. Her father, Thomas Watson, came to Little ROck in 1849, and bought a farm seven miles north of Little Rock, from which place he returned, two years later, to the city, where the balance of his life was spent, his death occurring in 1856. For some time he was employed in the recorder's office. His wife departed this life in October, 1860. Mrs. Jones recieved a liberal education, and it was such as to fit her to teach private families in Arkansas. She has traveled a great deal during life, visiting many places of interest, frequently going to Dublin. Chief Justice Blackburn was her mother's uncle. In December, 1863, she visited Matamoras, going thence to Yucatan with Dr. Gilkey and family, where she remained two years, afterward passing six months at Havanna, Cuba, thence to Butler, Penn., and finally returning to Louisburg, Ark. Dr. Jones and his wife are the parents of three children: Robert Sterling (born April 11, 1873, died July 20, 1874), Zula (born February 5, 1875), John Cliborne (born July 4, 1877). Dr. Jones takes a very active part in public affairs, and was representative from Conway County to the legislature from 1854 to 1856. He can trace his ancestry in a direct line to the Jones family of Wales, who, for more than 500 years, were kings. Mrs. Jones is also a descendant of an old and prominent family, the Carrolls, one of whom was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Her father was a member of Parliament before coming to this country. Dr. Jones is an active Farmer's Alliance man. He served as surgeon in the Confederate army several months, but was compelled to leave the service on account of ill-health.
DR. J.F. KINCHELOE
Dr. J.F. Kincheloe, a well-known physician and surgeon, and a prominent druggist
of Faulkner County, residing in Cadron Township, was born near Athens, Tenn., December 29,
1836, and was the third child in a family of six born to Enoch and Mary (Grisham) Kincheloe, natives of the same State, and residents of McMinn County. The father was a a small planter there all his life, his death occurring in December, 1884, at the age of eighty years, his excellent wife preceeding him in 1871, at the age of sixty-five years. The grandfather, Enoch Kin-******(pg. 728)***cheloe, was a soldier in the War of 1812, and also fought through several Indian wars. The maternal grandfather was also in the War of 1812 and he fought under Gen. Jackson at the battle of New Orleans. When a young boy Kincheloe was reared and instructed in the duties of farm life, attending the schools in his native State. After thoroughly acquiring a good English education, he commenced to read medicine under the guidance of Dr. G.A. Long, but the Civil War breaking out about this time compelled him to give up his study. He sympathized with the Union during that event, and, as is well known, every inducement was brought to bear to get him into the Confederate rank. He was true to his colors, however, and secretely organized a company for the Federal army, and reported at Cincinnati in November, 1862. Previous to that he enlisted in Bradley County, Tenn., as a private, and while in the army secretly recruited his company. Soon after reporting at Cincinnati, he was ordered to Nashville, Tenn., where his company was assigned to the Fourth Tennessee Calvary, and became known as the famous Company A, commanded by Capt. Kincheloe. He remained with this regiment until he was honorably discharged at Nashville in 1864, but soon after he was employed in the quartermaster's department, where he remained until the winter of 1865. When the war was closed he continued in Tennessee and was occupied in teaching school until the year 1869. That year he resumed his medical studies and took a course in the Medical University at Nashville, Tenn., graduating in 1871. Since that time the Doctor has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession, in connection with which he owns one of the finest drug stores in Faulkner County, and carries a complete stock of everything to be found in a leading establishment of that kind. In 1885 he erected a good brick business house, 66x22, and later on built another brick store 95x24 1/2. Besides these the Doctor also owns a fine private residence, a good block where he resides, and some good vacant lots. On February 27, 1862, he was married to Miss Annie E. Taylor, of Tennessee, daughter of Alvah and Emma (White) Taylor, who died in that State many years ago. Mrs. Kincheloe's grandfather, John Taylor, was a pioneer of Arkansas, who settled on the land which is now the city of Hope. She died of consumption in January, 1870, leaving as a result of their union one daughter, who resides at home. In 1873 the Doctor was married in Jackson County, Ala., to Miss Mary Virginia Allison, of Atlanta, a daughter of A.A. and Delana (Butler) Allison, of Virginia and South Carolina, respectively, but this lady died in September, 1886, leaving two children: John A. (born December 12, 1876) and Kittie Lee (born July 12, 1880), also one deceased. In 1887 Dr. Kincheloe was married at Little Rock to Miss Mollie J. Robertson, of Tennessee, a daughter of Patrick and Louisa (Ayers) Robertson, who has acquired a good English education. He has never taken an active part in politics, but has generally voted with the Republican party. Educational matters have a deep interest for him and he has always advocated the education of the poor as well as the rich. In secret orders the Doctor is a member of Green Grove Lodge No. 107, also of COnway Chapter No. 80, A.F. & A.M., of which he was treasurer for many years. He also belongs to Center Link No. 75, I.O.O.F. and Faulkner Lodge No. 1624, K. of H. and is a charter member and medical examiner of the last-named order, being also a member of the G.A.R. Dr. and Mrs. Kincheloe and their daughter hold memberships in the Church of Christ, of the principles of which the former has ever been an earnest exponent, and a member for thirty-five years. His great-grandfathers on both sides of the family were all soldiers in the Revolution, and served under Gen. Washington.
ADAM F. KUYKENDALL
Adam F. Kuykendall, farmer and stock raiser of Tupelo Township, Faulkner County, Ark. This gentleman, a typical Arkansan, was born in Conway County September 22, 1856, about two miles from the iron bridge on Cadron Creek. His parents were Amos R. and Hester (Stone) Kuykendall, natives of Cherokee Nation and Pennsylvania, respectively. Amos R. Kuykendall, born about 1821, was brought here in infancy and lived in this community until his death, July 8, 1859. *****(pg. 729)****When twenty-five years of age he became one of the officials of his county, his duties being those of commissioner of internal improvement. This office he held the remainder of his life, being a member of Congress and of the State Assembly of Arkansas. For the official records of this illustrious family, the reader is referred to the pages devoted to State history. Mr. K. was a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, being an elder of that denomination for a great many years. Hester Stone Kuykendall was a daughter of Elias and Rebecca Stone, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Maryland, respectively. Removing to Arkansas in 1839, they were among the very early settlers of Conway (now Faulkner) County. Adam F. Kuykendall's early life was full of romance and adventure. Growing up at a time when there were but few settlers in that part of the country he necessarily became familiar with the haunts of the bear, panther, deer and wolf, and as hunting was a pleasure he had every oppurtunity to try his skill in that direction. His school life was very limited, owing to the fact that he had to tramp through five miles of wilderness to reach the school-house. On the whole, his boyhood was one continual school of pioneer hardship, but it seemed that he was well adapted to lead such a life, and was needed in Arkansas to help develop the country. He aided his step-father, John P. King, in assisting to clear the first farm near Conway, as late as 1868. Upon reaching the age of thirteen years, he commenced making his living as a farmer and stockman, renting land and driving his own cattle. During the period of 1875 and 1881 Mr. Kuykendall traveled over Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Indian Territory, following the occupation of herding cattle. In 1881 he determined to settle in his native county, and accordingly bought a piece of land three and one-half miles northwest of Conway. October 2, 1881, he married Mrs. Alice Stone, widow of James Stone; her father was Richard Bradshaw, of Maysville, Ala. Two children were born to them: Elias S. and Balus L., both of whom died in infancy, the former in this county, and the latter in Texas, where Mrs. Kuykendall also died April 15, 1887, surviving her infant, Balus, one month. She was buried at Devine, Medina County, Texas. Her early demise was indeed a severe shock to her husband. She was an exemplary member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Little Hester A. still lives and makes her home with her paternal grandmother. After the death of Mrs. Kuykendall the subject of this sketch returned to Faulkner County and engaged as foreman on the farm of J.W. Farmers, in whose employ he remained about six months, then removing to his own farm; after staying long enough to secure a crop, he exchanged his farm for one of fifty acres, which he has cleared, and has it under a high state of cultivation. His principal crop is cotton. Mr. Kuykendall is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He takes an active role in local poilitics, votes with the Democratic party, and is a member of the Agricultural Wheel and Farmer's Alliance. He is very much interested in public enterprises, and gives them his liberal support.
Levi N. lee, one of the leading farmers and an extensive manufacturer of all kinds of lumber at Wooster, East Fork Township, Faulkner County, was born in Coosa County, Ala., April 23, 1843, and was the seventh child of eleven born to Isaiah and DeMaris (Donovan) Lee, natives of Columbia District, S.C., and Alabama, respectively. The father was first married in South Carolina, but lost his wife soon after. He met and married his second wife in Alabama and resided in that State until his death in 1878. The elder Lee was an extensive planter and a well-known citizen of Alabam, in which state his mother still resides. Levi N. was reared on his father's farm and instructed in the various duties of agricultural life, and recieved his education in the schools of Coosa County and the Fish Pond Academy. After finishing his studies he commenced farming for himself, and purchased an improved plantation of 420 acres in his native county. He remained here and continued at that occupation with success until 1882, ***(pg. 730) when he moved to Faulkner COunty, Ark., and settled at Wooster. He purchased sixty acres of very fertile land at this place, and has placed it all under cultivation, and the following year after his arrival he erected a mill plant and a cotton gin, his various interests now making him one of the busiest men in that section. He is active in politics and also advocates the Union Labor ticket. Mr. Lee was married in Coosa County, Ala., in 1862, to Miss Sarah E. Richardson, of Georgia, a daughter of George W. and Nancy (Hall) Richardson, who were among the early settlers of Alabama. The father died in 1866, but the mother is still residing in Coosa County, Ala. Mr. and Mrs. Lee were the parents of the following children:James L. (who resides in Union Township), Sarah V. (now Mrs. Adams, residing in Texas), J.H., Adaline (now Mrs. Dickens, of Greenbriar, Ark.), Anna, John, O.H., L.L. and Ola G. Mr. Lee lost his excellent wife in 1888, and in 1889 was married to Miss M.J. Simmons, of Faulkner County, a daughter of Harrison and Missouri (Lyon) Simmons, natives of Indiana who came to Arkansas in 1861, and settled in what is now Faulkner County, where the father became an extensive farmer. Harrison Simmons died in 1884, but his wife still survives him. During the Civil War Mr. Lee enlisted in Capt. Wright's company for one year, and was assigned to the Eighth Calvary Regiment. At the expiration of his term he re-enlisted in the same company for three years and took part in the battles of Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Antietam and Marietta, Ga. At the latter place he was severely wounded by a gunshot in the hip, which confined him for some time in the hospital at Atlanta. After his recovery, he rejoined his regiment, and fought in a number of battles before the surrender. In 1865 he was paroled at Montgomery, Ala., and returned to Coosa County. Mr. and Mrs. Lee are both members of the Baptist Church, and liberal contributors to religious and educational matters. Mr. Lee has watched with interest the growth and progress of Faulkner County since his residence in that place, and notes with pleasure that a vast change has taken place not only in the agricultural, commercial and industrial affairs of the county, but from a moral standpoint as well.
LOUIS C. LINCOLN
Louis C. Lincoln, not without justice conceded to be among the leading attorneys and well-known real-estate dealers of Faulkner County, first came to the city of Conway when it was nothing but a small hamlet, in January, 1874. He was born in Memphis, Tenn., May 10, 1850, and was the youngest of three children born to John and Jane (Usery) Lincoln, of Virginia and Tennessee, respectively. The father was a prominent merchant of MEmphis, Tenn., and a man whose words were an authority in commercial circles. He was also a Mason of high standing. The paternal grandfather, Mordecai Lincoln, was a native of Virginia, and immigrated to Kentucky with his father, Abraham, who was subsequently killed by an Indian, who in his turn was killed by Mordecai. This same Mordecai Lincoln, was an uncle of the late President Lincoln, thus making the subject of this sketch, Louis C., a third cousin to the late President Lincoln. Louis was reared in Alexandria, Tenn., and recieved his education in the schools of that city. During the Civil War he was a drummer boy in the Confederate army, and elisted in Company A., of the Seventh Tennessee Infantry, when only twelve years old, serving for fifteen months. In 1863 he was discharged under what was known as the non conscript act, and in the winter of the same year enlisted in Ellison's squadron, and was appointed courier and orderly to Gen. Wheeler. While acting in this capacity he was captured as he was carrying a dispatch (verbal) from Dalton to Rome, Ga., and was taken to Camp Morton, Ind., where he was confined for eleven months. In February, 1864, he was discharged and started to return home, but was without funds for that purpose. A kind-hearted stranger, however, provided him with the necessary means of transportation, and before very long he was back again to home and friends. On his return home he found that the war had nearly ruined his parents, financially. Though nothing ***(pg. 731)*** but a boy, yet by going to school and teaching alternatively, he acquired not only a thorough English education, but to a great extent a classical one. In fact, he was within five months of graduating when his step-father died, and his duties called him home to look after the interests of his mother. He again commenced teaching school, and thus soon accumulated enough money to enter a law school, and in 1871 he entered the law college at Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tenn., and graduated the following year. He did not commence practicing the law, however, until the following year, when he moved to Conway, and has been active in his profession ever since. In connection with his practice he deals in real estate considerably and also carries on a fire and life insurance business. He acts as agent of the Little Rock & Fort Smith Railroad lands, besides handling a large amount of private property. In the spring of 1874, Mr. Lincoln organized a military company in Faulkner County, and warmly espoused the cause of Gov. Baxter in the Brooks-Baxter war. His splendid service during that event was the means of promoting him to the rank of colonel, and to still further recognize his merits he was elected county and probate judge in 1881. He was also city recorder of Conway four terms and mayor one term. In politics Mr. Lincoln has always been active in working for the interests of the Democratic party, and his influence in that section has done much toward their success in Faulkner County. In secret socities he is a member of Center Link Lodge No. 75, I.O.O.F., and has passed all the chains. He has been a member of the Grand Lodge since 1876, and is now Deputy Grand Master, and will in the line of promotion next year be Grand Master. Mr. Lincoln also belongs to Faulkner Lodge No. 1624, K. of H., and is Grand Trustee of the Grand Lodge of that fraternity. He is a director in the Ex-Confederate Association of Arkansas, which body has seven officials in that capacity. In 1881 he edited one of the leading papers in Faulkner County, called teh Faulkner County Ledger, but retired in 1883. He is now correspondent for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and the Arkansas Gazette. Mr. Lincoln was married in Conway, in 1881, to Miss Effie Martin, a daughter of Hon. J.E. and Esther Martin, who were among the earliest settlers of Faulkner County, where their daughter was born. Two children were given to this marriage: Jessie and Robbie. Mr. Lincoln is one of the representative citizens of his county, and probably no other man in that section has done more to promote the development of Faulkner COunty than he has. He is a popular man in both circles, and his enterprise and good management have given impetus to the growth of that community.
Among the prominent families of Faulkner County is one whose well-known representative heads this sketch. Of German descent, the grandfather of our subject immigrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio shortly after the year 1800, at which time Cincinnati was a small village. A.R. Lind, his father, was at this time a small lad. He was reared under the disadvantages of those days, and upon attaining manhood, married, seven sons and four daughters blessing his union, seven children now living. After a long and useful life, he died, in October, 18883, esteemed by all who knew him. A.S. Lind was reared on his father's farm, but at the age of seventeen, his peaceful career ended for the time being. In 1862 he enlisted in Company C. Fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Calvary, Col. Taylor commanding, and served in many of the hard fought battles of the war, among them being that of Altoona Pass and Corinth. He was with Sherman on his memorable march to the sea, and later with him through the Carolinas, being honorably discharged at the close of the war, with the rank of sergeant. At the conclusion of the war he learned the stone-mason's and cutter's trade, and was engaged in that occupation in Cincinnati for three years. He then took Greeley's advice and went west, and was for a time occupied at his trade on the State house at Topeka, Kas. The succeding two years were spent in working at his trade in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota. While in the latter State he learned telegraphy, but only worked at that six months, when he moved to Arkansas, this being late in 1870. He entered a saw***(pg. 732)** mill on Gold Creek for a time, but in 1874 sold his mill and commenced farming on his present tract of land. This he has improved, until it is now one of the most valuable farms of the county. December 31, 1878, Mr. Lind was united in marriage with Florence, daughter of George Barley, and to their union three sons and four daughters have been born: Hetty (born in December, 1879), George (born in May, 1881), Edna (born in January, 1883), Addison (born in November, 1886), Pearle (born in September, 1887), and Benjamin H. (born in June, 1889.) Addison died March 17, 1888. For the past eight years Mr. Lind has served as justice of the peace, and during this time has married ten couples. He is a Republican in politics, a Mason, and a member of the G.A.R. He makes it a rule to take an advanced part in all matters pertaining to the welfare of his community, and is one of the staunch men of the county.
D.P. Loretz, of Swiss descent, was born June 30, 1842, in Lincoln County, N.C., and is one of five children born to Daniel and Eliza (Reinhardt) Loretz. The great-grandfather, Andrew Loretz, was a minister of the German Reformed Church. His son, also named Andrew,was born in 1761 and came to America from Switzerland in 1784, landing at Baltimore, and a short time afterward married a Mrs. Schaeffer, of Hagerstown, Md. A few months later they moved to Lincoln County, N.C., where he continued the good work of his father until his death, which occurred in 1812. His son, Daniel, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in 1802 and died in 1851. He was a successful farmer, living in Lincoln County,and was respected by all who knew him. His brothers were prominent men, holding high offices at different times. The wife of Daniel Loretz was the daughter of John and Anna (Moore) Reinhardt, both natives of North Carolina. In 1861 D.P. Loretz enlisted and served as lieutenant in the Thirty-second North Carolina Regiment in the valley campaigns in Virginia, but was seriously wounded at Winchester, Va., when under Jubal Early, at the time the latter was defeated by Sheridan. He was in the battles of Spottsylvania, etc., and at Norfolk saw the ever-to-be-remembered fight between the Merrimac and Monitor; belonging to the first division, commanded by Huger and afterward transferred to the Army of Northern Virginia. After he was wounded he remained at home until the close of the war, when he sold his farm and moved to North Alabama, and from there to Conway, Ark.In 1880 he moved to Mayflower and engaged in farming, owning several lots in connection with his farm. In July, 1867, Mr. Loretz was united in marriage with Anna Abernathy of Jacksonville, Ala.,daughter of Miles W. Abernathy. Mr. and Mrs. Loretz are members of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and Mr. Loretz is postmaster and has held several other local offices in the community. He is a member of Pat Cleburne's Post of COnfederate Veterans. Our subject has in his possession numerous papers published at Richmond, Va., and North Carolina, reflecting the opinions of those people at the time of the war, also the passport his grandfather carried from Switzerland to America. Another item which he considers priceless, not because of its intrinsic value, but from old association's sake, is an autograph album belonging to his grandfather. This album is bound in calf with gilt edge and is in a high state of preservation. The selections were mostly written at Bavaria and are dated from 1779 to 1784, productions principally of his school mates.
J.E. Martin, a leading dealer in general merchandise of Faulkner County, first came to his present location in 1875. He was born in White County, Tenn., in January, 1840, and was the fourth child in a family of nine born to Daniel and Rebecca (English) Martin of the same State. The father was a prominent planter in Tennessee, who left that State with his family in 1848 and settled in Van Buren County, Ark., being one of the pioneers of that section. He there entered land which he improved and cultivated until the year 1851, when he came to what is now Faulkner County, where he purchased a large farm upon which he resided until his death, in 1888, his devoted wife having preceded him during the war. The father was a well-known politician during his life, and a man of considerable influence with the Democratic***(pg. 733)*** party in his locality. J.E. Martin was reared on a plantation and iunstructed in the duties of farm life. He recieved his education in the schools of Van Buren and Faulkner Counties and also at Quitman, and immediately after finishing his studies he turned his attention to farming on his own account. His first venture was to purchase a tract of land which he improved and cultivated and added to on different occasions as his prosperity increased, until at the present time he owns about 2,000 acres, with 400 under cultivation. He first started in commercial life in the year 1871 at Greenbriar, and continued at that until his removal to Conway, where he resided and carried on business since 1875. He now owns two good brick business homes and has established a large patronage and keeps a stock of goods and supplies that would beggar description as to their variety. His stock in every line is always of the best, and he has earned an enviable reputation throughout that section for his honest methods of doing business. He takes an active part in politics and votes the Democratic ticket, and as a testimonial of thier regard his party elected him sheriff of the county in 1874. Being the first man to hold that office in Faulkner County. In 1876 he was re-elected and also served one term in the legislature the same year. In 1878 he was offered the nomination for State senator but declined on account of his rapidly increasing busines interests. He was again elected to the legislature in 1888, and is at present a member of that body and fills the position in a highly credible manner. He was for several terms a member of the town council and also served on the school board. In secret orders he is a member of Green Grove Lodge No. 107, in high standing. Mr. Martin was married in Faulkner COunty in the year 1859 to Miss Hettie Kerr, of Tennessee, by whom he had two children: Mary Alice (now Mrs. Griffing, who resides in Conway) and Effie (now Mrs. L.C. Lincoln, of the same town). He lost his excellent wife in 1865, and in 1866 he was married to Miss Sarah Jane Kerr, of Tennessee, by whom he had seven children: William Hampton( who is in partnership with his father), Jessie (now Mrs. Canada, of Conway), Rosa Lee, Artie, Merrill, Bessie and Eugene. During the war Mr. Martin enlisted in 1861, in Company A, McRae's regiment, and soon after was taken seriously ill and was forced to return home. He subsequently joined Col. Newton's regiment after his recovery, in which he served until the close of the war, taking part in the battles of Prairie Grove, Cape Girardeau and a number of others. Mr. Martin took quite an active part in the organization of Faulkner COunty, and has watched its growth and progress with deep interest. He is liberal in his aid to all worthy enterprises and his personal worth has made him one of the most popular citizens in his community. Mrs. Martin, who was a devoted wife and mother, died in January, 1889.
EDWARD MUNROE MERRIMAN
Edward Munroe Merriman, was born in Auburn, N.Y., June 11, 1843. He entered West Point Military Academy from the State of New York, in 1863, and graduated in 1867, afterward serving in the United States army, as an officer of the first regular artillery, until 1871, when he took advantage of the act of Congress, mustering out officers with one year's pay and allowances. His services were principally in the New York harbor, at the city of New Orleans and on the Kansas frontier, protecting settlers in the latter locality, against raids of the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians. Mr. Merriman came to Arkansas on July 4, 1871, and settled at the point where the town of Conway is now located, being the oldest resident of that place. In 1873 he was appointed postmaster, and the following year was commissioned first lieutenant of Arkansas State Guards during the Brooks-Baxter trouble. He was elected mayor of Conway in 1876, and was the second official in that capacity of the town. He was first appointed justice of the peace in 1873, and in 1879 was again elected to that office, occupying the position up to the year 1882, when he was elected judge of the county court in Faulkner County, by the Democratic party. On September 6, 1884, and on September 6, 1886, he was re-elected to the same office and served in this until 1888. Mr. Merriman is a direct descendant of President John Quincey Adams on his motehr's side, and is the youngest of three chil-**(pg. 734)**dren, born to Corydon H. and Mary (Adams) Merriman, of New York, the former a prominent figure in the early history of that State, and in later life president of the First National Bank, of Auburn, N.Y., with which he had been connected for over fifty years. The elder Merriman was a great friend to the Hon. W.H. Steward, whose death occured at Auburn , in 1876. Of the Merriman family yet remaining, Truman Adams resides in New York City, and is a journalist by profession, being connected with Mr. Dana's staff on the New York Sun. He was a prominent and brilliant Democratic politician at one time, and served as a member of Congress for six years. Corydon also resides in New York City, where he was formerly engaged in banking, but is now representing the interests of a New York millionaire. Edward Munroe Merriman was married in Conway, on September 6, 1873, to Miss Matildaa Menkus, a native of Prussia, who came to this country with a brother, and is a daughter of Sidney and Elizabeth Menkus, of the same place. Mrs. Merriman's father died in Prussia, and the mother came to the United States some time afterward, and is now residing at Little Rock, Ark. One child has been given Mr. and Mrs. Merriman, a daughter: Mary Adams (born in 1874). Mr. Merriman was one of the originators and helped to pass the law creating Faulkner County. Having resided here from its infancy to its present grand development, he has taken an active part in promoting its interests and welfare, and a good part of its prosperity is due to the efforts of himself and a few other leading spirits. He has been practicing law since 1886, and has established an enviable reputation in that profession. He has always been a Democrat in politics.