The family of T.J. Rowlett moved to an area near what later was to know as Guy in 1848. The Rowlett family later was joined by one or two other families, the most notable being the family of W.W. Martin, who was then a youth.
The Gentry family moved into the area about 1865. The Jacob Hartwick family constructed a frame building to house their grist mill, about 1868, on Cadron Creek just below the north boundary of this county. The Hartwick millpond was the first dam across Cadron Creek to impound water for the steam boilers pf a mill which had been constructed by logs.
Jacob Hartwick also was the liquor distiller of the district. Hartwick came here in the early 1860's from Tennessee.
The Old Texas settlement nearby had Math Hartwick, Daniel Martin, Hosea King, Bevil Cargile, john Walton, John Rowlett, Eli and Bob Foster, bill Bynum and Ned King as its early settlers. These men were homesteaders and raised small amounts of stock. Most of the farming in this area was done by oxen. The crops were corn, wheat, oats and potatoes with a small amount of cotton for the family clothing needs.
W.W. Blessings came to the area Feb. 18, 1860. J.A. Jolly settled downstream in Blackfork along with the Rev. H.C. Jolly, J.R. Jolly, DVM., was born in this Blackfork community Feb. 1, 1870 to Thomas and Melissa McNew Jolly, who came here from Alabama before the Civil War. Thomas Jolly was a Confederate veteran.
It is now convenient to list a few other early settlers of this area in north Faulkner County. After the Civil War many arrived. The first store nearby was that of I. Green. All of the land here-about is marked off from the I. Green corner in Guy.
Judge Edgar Gray was born Jan. 15, 1865 in Prairie County. His brother, Willis Tomlin Gray, was born Jun 4, 1867, in the present county. They were sons of Theodore Gray and Lucy Caroline Langford Gray. Theodore Gray had served in the Confederate Army and moved here in 1867.
Mrs. Tennessee Elizabeth Hatcher Rowlett was a daughter of J.M. Hatcher, who came to this settlement from Tennessee prior to the Civil War. At the end of the war they moved to Fairbanks, where Tennessee Hatcher was born April 8, 1867. In 1871 they moved to Pinnacle Springs. When California Township was created in Conway County her father was its first justice of the peace.
George Thomas Mode was born Jan. 11, 1871, near Hartwick Mill, a son of John and Mamie Mode.
Thomas Garrett Rimmer wrote to the Log Cabin Democrat in 1933 that his father, John Rimmer, came to Faulkner County in 1876 and settled near Cash Springs on old Russell place. They remained there one year before moving to the Mallett bottoms, near Fishtrap Bridge, for another year. They then moved to a homestead three miles west of Guy on the Pinnacle Springs road, purchasing land there from Josh Hutchins. In 1880 Rimmer had cleared 20 acres. He cultivated with two steers and one horse, producing two bales of cotton and 150 bushels of corn. In 1933 these acres were still in production. Rimmer had 10 acres in cotton, of which three were plowed up under the new cotton control regulations. These seven remaining acres produced five bales of cotton. No fertilizer had ever been used except manure, which had been put on, finally in 1932-33.
Prior to 1885, the cotton was taken to Quitman or Pinnacle Springs for ginning. After the decline of Pinnacle Springs a gin was erected about three miles southwest of Guy. The Dodd gin was erected in Guy directly, but the driven well could not supply sufficient water and after about three years, or around 1890, the gin failed and another gin was established a half-mile north of Guy on Wolf Branch.
Liquor was declared illegal within a three-mile radius on Section Thirteen; T 5 N, R 13 W, on April 7, 1882, after a petition had been filed in the county court by citizens of the area.
Charles Martin of Guy had moved to Quitman and established a general store there. He had a huge success and then moved back near his old family homeplace and established another store one and one-half miles west of the Clinton-Little Rock road. He named this new town place Guy, after his eldest son.
The residents at this time rode some two miles north to Ruray for their mail. This office there had been opened May 3, 1886, with Marcus H. Garrett as postmaster. It was closed Oct. 27, 1891. When this postmaster moved away the post office was moved June 5, 1890, to Guy, with Martin as postmaster and the office in his store.
Dr. Frank Montgomery came to Guy from Stone County in 1885. He later was joined by a Dr. Fleming to give the town two medical practitioners.
The first school was established three-fourths of a mile north of Guy at Copperas Springs, where water was obtained from a nearby spring. The community cemetery is also located near these springs. In 1898, these two schools were consolidated at Guy proper.
In 1932 a new brick school house was erected at Guy. It had been poorly equipped in the Depression manner. A Smith Hughes building was erected of native stone in 1934 and housed $1,000 in equipment. The home-economics building was erected in 1936. There young farm women used over $2,000 worth of homemaking equipment.
A native stone gymnasium was erected at a cost of $20,000. This building was 80 x 100 feet. During 1948 the Guy-Perkins school farm education program had 374 registered OIC hogs, 300 jerseys and a school nursery farm of community use and thousands of laying hens.
By 1914 the Guy telephone exchange had 140 subscribers. The telephone company was installing a new 100-drop switchboard that year.
A fire on New Year's Day, 1924, wiped out almost all of the entire business district of Guy. This fire occurred on a Sunday. Seven buildings were destroyed, of which four were general merchandise firms. The loss was set at over $30,000, with no prohibitive in this rural area with no decent water supply. The fire left only four buildings standing in the town.
Dr. B.F. Banister sr., lost his office building worth $1,500. J.C. Hartwick lost his store worth $1,000 and $5,000 in merchandise. H.W. Montgomery's building was valued at $2,500 with his inventory amounting to $5,000. The R.L. Lieblong building was lost with its value being $1,500. Lieblong had the largest merchandise loss which amounted to over $10,000,
The G.T. Mode building, valued at $1,000, burned. Most of his stock was saved, however, with only about $500 being lost. Mode had purchased his store only two days before from Leon Byrd. L.C. Allen, the blacksmith, set his loss at $2,000. S.F. Glover, the barber, lost $500 in equipment and valued his building at $200.
The store buildings left standing were those of S.F. Glover, C.J. Weatherly and the office of Dr. Glover.