A post office had been opened here May 15, 1878, and was called Torum, with Joseph Wilazerek as postmaster.
The location of the post office was changed to Gold Creek Sept. 17, 1879. The Gold Creek office had opened April 17, 1879, under W.P. Adams. This office was closed Feb. 18, 1880.
The last community, also Negro, before Conway, is on the bank of Gold Creek and was named for a Mr. Preston. Preston was an early white settler along the creek prior to 1860. A post office was opened here June 9, 1881, with A.H. Andress as postmaster. This office was closed July 14, 1906."