Greene County, Arkansas
Pleasant Grove Cemetery can be reached by driving northeast on highway 1 from Marmaduke two miles, then turning north across the railroad, going three miles to Hopewell Baptist Church, then west for 1/2 mile past Pleasant Grove Methodist Church. The cemetery is located on a hill to the right past the church.
Sometime in the 1870'2 a schoolhouse was built on the ground where Pleasant Grove Church now stands, and subscription schools were held there. For several years the Methodists held church services in the little schoolhouse. A few years later, when Hopewell School was built just 1/2 mile to the east, the Pleasant Grove school was abandoned and disassembled. In 1893 a church was built on the same ground which had been occupied by the schoolhouse, and became known as the Pleasant Grove Methodist Church. In 1948 this building was torn down and a new church built. This building is still in use at the present time.
The land now occupied by Pleasant Grove Cemetery was owned by John and Mary Huckabay. There were several large pear trees up on a hill, and it was always "Aunt Mary's" request to be buried under one of her pesr trees. Mr. Huckabay died in 1885, and "Aunt Mary" had him buried beneath one of the trees. She then remarried to Mr. J.P Walton,but died in March of 1887, and was buried beside Mr. Huckabay beneath the pear trees. For a few years it was known as the Huckabay Cemetery, but after Pleasant Grove Church was built, the cemetery too became known as Pleasant Grove.
Transcribed by: Sandy Hardin
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Communities Page
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Page