|Pruett's Chapel United Methodist
Pruett's Chapel United Methodist Church began around 1858
and is currently located on Pruett's Chapel Road. The church
has 40 active members. In the early 1800s, a log building
was constructed in a grove of trees off what is now Finch
Road and was called Pleasant Grove church. In 1879, the
Pruett family deeded an acre of land to the church at the
present building site and a frame building was erected by J.
A. Hart and his father. The name was changed to Pruett's
Through the years, Pruett's Chapel has been a relatively small,
family church serving many of the pioneer families of the
Greene County. Among early ministers were I. A. Vernon, J.
S. Watson, W. M. Watson, Tom Brown, W. B. Roe, H. E. Many
and F. B. Williamson.The church building was remodeled
several times. In 1973 the present colonial type brick
building was begun and finished this year. The Rev. Bob
Burnham is pastor.
Second and Walnut Church of Christ
Second and Walnut Church of Christ, now meeting at Second and
Walnut Streets, began on Sept. 6, 1885, when a group of
people simply calling them-selves Christians met in the
office of L. C. Thompson near the railroad. The next year a
house of worship was erected at the southeast corner of
Court and Fourth Streets. During the first several years
only vocal music was used in the worship. However, about the
year 1901, instrumental music was introduced into the
worship over the protest of several elders. This resulted in
a division of the congregation.
For about four years the church met in a house owned by W. R. Smith
in the present Reynold building. During 1905, a little frame
meeting house was built at 213 N. Fourth Ave. The church
grew and has purchased several lots and buildings. In
September, 1976 Paul C. Keller, who had served as evangelist
from 1957-63, returned to work with the church and continues
as pastor. There are currently 220 members.
Griffin Memorial United Methodist
Griffin Memorial United Methodist Church, originally called
Eastside Methodist Episcopal Church, South, originated in
1903. The name was changed to Griffin Memorial in the
mid-1940s. It was built on one acre of ground given by
Richard Jackson. The original parsonage was built in 1914 in
one day by the men, while the women prepared dinner and
supper. The new sanctuary at 524 E. Court St. was built in
1953 while the Rev. J. Harmon Holt was pastor. The
educational building was added in 1970; the Rev. J. Albert
Gatlin was pastor. There are currently 481 members and
Gerald K. Rainwater is the pastor.
First Church of God
The First Church of God at the corner of 6 1/2 and West Locust
streets was established in 1909. Terry Lee Adams Sr. is the
pastor. The non-denomin-ational church started as part of
the Reformation Movement that began more than 100 years ago.
It has been built in three stages; the last addition was
added in 1977. The average attendance for 1983 is 75.
East Side Baptist Church
East Side Baptist Church originated in May 12, 1912 and has held
services in its present location at East Poplar Street and
Sixth Avenue since 1968. A new educational building was
constructed in 1982. The church has 857 members. The Rev.
Jim Fowler is the pastor. Sam Willcoxon, D. C. Applegate
Jr., Jeff Rousseau, J. Russell Duffer and Jess Holcomb were
First Prebyterian Church
The First Prebyterian Church at 307 S. Seventh St. was established
on Dec. 29, 1918. Dr. Robert K. Bennett is the pastor.The
first location was at 324 W. Garland St., the home of pastor
Thomas Watkins, who organized the church. The next location
was the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Second and Poplar
streets. The services were held in these two locations from
1918 to 1921. In 1921 the present building was constructed.
The church has 78 members.
Former pastors include Thomas Watkins, William Denham, James W.
McNutt, C. T. McCulley, John Wingard, John Brannon, Jack
Rorex, Dr. Charley Robinson and Ernest P. Scott. Interim
pastor in many instances was Dr. Thomas McSpadden, retired
minister in residence.
St. Mark's United Methodist Church
St. Mark's United Methodist Church at 414 Newton St. originated in
1921. The Rev. Randy Rowlan is the pastor. The church has 45
The building in which St. Mark's members now worship was
formerly the Wietchieben Memorial Presbyterian Church. It
was a memorial built in honor of the Wietchiebens' only
child who at an early age had committed his life to God as a
missionary, but died at 13 after contacting a disease.
Before he died, he asked that his insurance be spent in
building a mission church in northern Arkansas where he had
plans to come and missionary work.
Delphia McSpadden and the Rev. J. N. Threlkeld organized the
present building into a Presbyterian church, and worked for
37 years at the present site. Threlkeld died in 1945 and
McSpadden fell and broke her hip and was unable to carry on
the work. The building and land was sold for $4,000 in 1958
to the United Methodist Conference, and the St. Mark's
United Methodist Church was organized with 38 charter
Immanuel Baptist Church
Immanuel Baptist Church began as a mission from the First Baptist
Church on Oct. 11, 1939. It was called the Southside Mission
and was located in a frame store building at 812 S. Fifth
St. After the congregation outgrew the store building, a new
structure was built in 1942 across from Baldwin Elementary
School. The Southside Mission became a church Feb. 20, 1955,
and the name was changed to Immanuel Baptist Church with
Emmitt Pipkins as the pastor.
A growing membership resulted in building the current church at 607
W. Mueller St. in October, 1963. Martin Sifford is the
pastor, and the church has 308 members.
Calvary Baptist Church
Calvary Baptist Church was established April 16, 1947 and occupied
its current location at the corner of Rector and Bard Roads
James Branscum is the pastor of the church, which has 288
members.The First Baptist Church of Paragould authorized the
organization of a mission in the north end of the city. The
first pastor was Erby Butler. First Baptist Church later
bought property for the purpose of erecting a church
building on the corner of Bard Road. Junior Vestor was
pastor for 12 1/2 years. While he was there, the two
additions were added to the original structure twice. A new
building was built in 1979. Branscum took over as pastor on
July 9, 1980.
All Saints Episcopal Church
All Saints Episcopal Church came into being as an established
Episcopal mission in 1950. In the beginning, services were
held in the Presbyterian Church. Then on May 7, 1951, the
mission bought the property where the present church stands,
at the corner of 10th and Main streets. Construction of the
sanctuary began shortly thereafter, and on Nov. 1, 1951 (All
Saints Day), the first service was held at the church. In
1959, a parish hall was added.
The Rev. John DeForest Pettus served as the mission's first priest.
The Rev. Cham Canon was the last priest; he left this month.
Over the years, All Saints has been served by 14 priests.
The church has 85 members. In 1981, the ecumenical Sermons
and Soups program was begun during the Lenten season,
featuring pastors from different denominations. In 1983, the
program was jointly sponsored with St. Mary's Catholic
Lake Street Baptist Church
Lake Street Baptist Church, a mission of East Side Baptist Church,
was built on the corner of Smith and Lake Streets. Only a
slab of concrete of the original mission remains today. On
April 20, 1952, the mission was organized into a church. Joe
Hester was the first pastor of the church and since then,
the church has been expanded three times. Wayne Faulkner has
been the minister since February 1981. The church now has
14th Street Church of God
The 14th Street Church of God began in the mid 1950s in a tin
building near Robert Ward's grocery store, which today is
Pat and Mike's.
Samuel H. Myres is the minister; and there are 66 members.
About 1959, with Stanley Sloan as minister, members
purchased the lot at 115 N. 14th St., where the church
currently stands and erected a building. An addition was
built during the pastorage of J. T. Butler in 1973.
Redeemer Lutheran Church
1983 marks the 25th anniversary of the congregation of Redeemer
Lutheran Church, which began in the spring of 1958. Three
Lutheran families, who where members of St. John's Lutheran
Church at Lafe, mentioned the necessity of starting a
Lutheran mission in Paragould. There are currently 111
members and the Rev. Timothy Paul Azzam has been the
minister since June 27, 1982.
Two previous attempts had been made in 1921 and in 1933. In 1933
and 1934 services were held in the Presbyterian Church in
Paragould and on Sunday afternoons conducted by the Rev. W.
In May 1958 the Rev. H. C. Harting, pastor of St. John's Lutheran
Church, spent several weeks in Paragould making 400 house
calls. A number of former Lutherans were found. With the aid
of the western district (now divided into smaller districts)
of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and the Lutheran
Church extension fund, $20,000 was advanced for the purchase
of the present site and the conversion of the existing house
into a chapel. The first service was held on Nov. 2, 1959;
the chapel was dedicated on Nov. 30. Pastor Harting of Lafe
served the congregation until January 1962. The Rev. Harting
was succeeded by the Rev. Lloyd E. Groenke who had been
serving at Benton. Groenke also served the recently
organized Pilgrim Lutheran Church at Jonesboro. He remained
pastor of the two congregations until September 1966. An
A-frame worship structure was dedicated in February 1967.
During construction, services were held in the old public
East Main Church of Christ
East Main Church of Christ began in 1965 as an outgrowth of the
planning of elders of the Second and Walnut Church of
Christ. The property was purchased and funds started several
years before the work began. In 1965, Hollis Creel,
minister, and about 30 members volunteered to begin the
work. Succeeding preachers have been
Raymond Harville, Bill Thrasher and Herbert Knight. Only
nine original members are included in the present membership
of about 60. Zane Gray is the pastor.
Family of God Church
The Family of God Church was established in July, 1980 at Lamb's
Cafeteria before it moved to 415 Linwood Drive. It moved to
its present location at 1601 W. Kingshighway in 1981. The
church began with 35 people and has had a record high of
1,400. In 1982, it was named the state's second fastest
growing church of any denomination. The pastor is Dr. Hank
Deslatte and there are currently about 500 members.
Harvest Baptist Church
The Harvest Baptist Church, which originated in 1981, is one of two
independent fundamental Baptist churches in Paragould.
Pastor Larry Ring organized the church, which originally
held services in the Jaycees building, with nine members.
The congregation moved to 400 E. Kingshighway in May 1981, then
purchased an older building at 304 E. Vine St. in September
of that year. Church members are currently renovating that