Greene County Arkansas

Paragould, Arkansas

Centennial Edition Section 1

=============================================================================================================

 

   1833:  The territorial map is a re-print, published by the Museum of Science and Natural History in Little Rock.  While there were no roads as such in 1833, there were trails, es-pecially along the ridge including the path cut by the Crowleys when they moved east from Davidsonville in 1821.  The only post office located in the county in 1833 was known as Crowley and located in Benjamin Crowley's home. In 1846 the name of that post office was changed to Walcott.      1883:  The track-laying photograph, provided by Myrl Mueller from The Big Picture files, is actually of a crew working on an extension of the Paragould South-eastern track in 1897, but it evokes the wooded wilderness the earlier railroads also had to traverse.  The photographs of J.W. Paramore, left, and Jay Gould, right, were provided by their respective railroads, now known as the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Co. and the Missouri Pacific Railroad.  The photograph of a portion of the original incorporation order approved   by County Judge John Osteen on March 3, 1883, was taken by Bruce Moore of the Daily Press staff. The order was written by then County Clerk R.H. Gardner and appears in County Court Record Book 2, Pages 175-177, on file in the courthouse
vault.
   1983:  Paragould's 100-foot-long
birthday cake was served March 3,
1983, to the capacity crowd attending
the Incorporation Day celebration at
Paragould High School.
Photo by Mark Prout of the Daily Press.

...................

Page 2 Section 1

Transcribed from the 1983 Centennial Edition by : PR Massey

Return to Greene County, Arkansas Centennial Edition

Return to Greene County, Arkansas Newspapers

Return to Greene County, Arkansas Index Page

2010 PR Massey