Greene County Arkansas
Centennial Edition Section 2
18- Section 2, Centennial Edition Paragould Daily Press, Monday, August 29, 1983
|top left photo:
Ralph H. Taylor, teacher, and students at the Gum Grove School 1912
photo courtesy: Lucille Taylor
bottom left photo:
Brighton School, Nov. 27, 1908
photo courtesy Olah Waters
top right photo:
Union Hill School, Aug. 12, 1897
photo courtesy: Dr. C.W. Starnes
bottom right photo:
Pleasant Hill School about 1910, John Isaac Horton, teacher
photo courtesy: Edward L. Horton
|Schools in Greene County
Fifty years ago, Greene County had 72 school districts.
But the consolidation movement that would lead to the present seven districts had already begun.
Kay Jackson, secretary to the County Board of Education, who has gone back through old records and compiled a list of more than 90 school districts, is sure even that list is not complete.
A 1930 school map shows 83 districts, four of which were
consolidated districts -- Greene County No. 1, Walcott, Beech Grove and Alexander -- and two special districts --the same two we have now, Paragould and Marmaduke. Just three years later, in 1933, there were five more consolidated districts -- Pleasant Hill, Mooring, Delaplaine, Lafe-Hooker and Oak Grove.
Consolidation accelerated in the 1940s, especially with the formation of Greene County Tech, and by 1948 the seven districts we have today were intact.
Transcribed from the 1983 Centennial Edition by : PR Massey
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Centennial Edition
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Newspapers
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Index Page
© 2011PR Massey