Greene County Arkansas
Centennial Edition Section 2
|The Way We Work|
| Here came
the trains !
would never be
the same again
Photo courtesy: The Big Picture Files
Photo courtesy: Glenda Barry
Photo courtesy: Dr. C.W. Starnes
Photo courtesy: Talma Buchanan Hayes Daily Press photo by: Mark Prout
The Paragould Southeastern railroad, started as a local operation,
was taken over by the Cotton Belt line in 1914, although that
company had held a controlling interest since 1893. After a shaky
start as the Paragould and Buffalo Island Railway Co., its name was
changed in 1893 with extensions added in 1895, 1897, 1903 and 1907.
The location of a Iron Mountain roundhouse in Paragould gave the town another boost, making its headquarters for a number of railroad crews. Located off Pekin Road not far from the junction of the two railroads, it was closed in the 1950s and dismantled. Below, in an unidentified picture, a host of railroaders climb aboard an engine to pose for a group picture.
Transcribed from the 1983 Centennial Edition by : PR Massey
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Centennial Edition
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Newspapers
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Index Page
© 2011PR Massey