Greene County Arkansas

Paragould, Arkansas

Centennial Edition Section 4

Monday, August 29, 1983, Paragould Daily Press                                                                                                                        Section 4, Centennial Edition  -7

===============================================================================================================

Heritage Quilt weaves thread of history into art

 

   In an  attempt to  document  local history in a homey and personal way, a group of women gathered last fall to  plan the  making of a Centennial-Sesquicentennial quilt.
   Members of the committee were
chairwoman Cissy Lieblong, Clara
Garrett, Virginia Hunt, Harriett Rog-
ers, Naomi Toler, Helen Welch and
Mary Lou Williams.
  Their original idea was to accept 20
12-inch  quilting  squares, but  they later increased that number to 25 so that all those who submitted blocks could have them included in the quilt. Toler,  Rogers  and  Hunt  put  the  blocks together and Wayne Breeds, owner of B & W Woodcraft in Para- gould, built the shadow box  for its permanent display in the Greene
County courthouse.
   The following information, describ-ing each block (from left to right and top to bottom), was compiled by Lieblong:
   * The moving of the county seat
from Gainesville to Paragould by Bonnie Smith of Paragould. This appliqued block shows a wagon drawn by horses, moving the safe from Greene County's first county seat, Gainesville, to its present loca-tion in Paragould.
   * The Conwell home by Zula Clifford Lofton of Paragould. This block shows Lofton's home at 301 W. Poplat St. It was built by Henry Hammons for his sister, Cherokee Conwell, in the late 1800s. In 1918 Lofton's mother, Bertha Clifford, bought the house. Included on the block is information supplied in the deed to the home.
   * A train by Naomi Lewis Toler of
Paragould. This block, done in appli-
que, represents the dependence of this area on the railroad industry. Her late husband, Carl Toler, worked for Missouri Pacific Railroad.
   * Electticity coming to O'Kean by
Hazel Martin Rickey of O'Kean. Rickey said she had a strong memory of the excitement generated by lights
coming on in her community for the
first time.
   * Reynolds Park by Cissy Mahan
Lieblong of Paragould. This block,
done in raised applique, depicts a nice afternoon at the park.
 

 
 
 

Photo caption:
Members of the centennial quilt committee proudly display their work. From lower left clockwise, the committee includes Harriet Rogers, Naomi Toler, Clara Garrett, Virginia Hunt and Helen Welch. Not pictured are chairwoman Cissy Lieblong and Mary Lou Williams.

=========================================================

  * Common butterflies found in
Greene County by Dorothy Justus
Reeves of the Greene High Comm-unity. The block names several butter-flies and includes a picture of one in applique.
   * The Soliphone by Gladys Jeffers
Washington of the Halliday Comm-unity. Washington was inspired to do this block because her son, Tommy George Washington, was given his
first job at the Paragould Daily Press
and is now a publisher of a newspaper
in Lynchburg, Va.
   * The first rice grown in Greene
County by Inez McKnelly Getson. This
embroidered block shows the Jack
Getson farm of 1911.
   * The cotton gin at Light by Helen
Mitchell Welch of Center Hill. This
embroidered block shows the impor-
tance of cotton to this area. The gin
was built at Light in 1933.
   * The dates of the Centennial by
Dora Pillow Hunter of Paragould, done in cross-stitch.
   * A map of the county by Dora Rickey Walker of O'Kean, done in embroidery.
 
    * The county courthouse by Toler. She has two blocks in the quilt because she felt it was important that the courthouse be included in it.
   * The Crowley family tree by Grace
Dunnam Gramling. This embroidered block
shows the names of some of the original Crowley family.
   * The Bethel Methodist Church and
school by Retha Baugh Levins. The church was also used as a one-teacher school until 1926.
   * The Northend school by Mary Morgan Charles of Paragould. This embroidered block includes some very detailed stitches. The school now has been replaced by the Oakwood school. Some of Charles' brothers and sisters had attended school there.
   * A railroad crossing by Louise Cooper. This appliqued block was included to show the importance of trains to this area.
   * The old Crowley home by Elaine
Lollis Crowley of Ft. Smith. This appliqued block shows the original home-place, which was located about one mile north of Crow-ley's Ridge State Park but is no longer standing. Crowley is the wife of the great-
 
   great-great grandson of original Ben
Crowley.
   * The Centennial logo by Gerta
Stimson Jernigan of Paragould. Jerni-
gan operates the Stitching Post in
Paragould and did this block in
counted cross-stitch.
   * The sawmill west of Light by
Evangeline Cupp Cothren. This cross-stitch block signifies the impor-tance of the timber industry to early Greene County. Cothren's grand-father, J. E. Newberry, did business at the sawmill, located about one mile west of Light.
   * A farm house by Virginia Tyner
Hunt of Center HIll. Hunt submitted
this block of her grandfather's home
in the Spring Grove Community,
sowing a cotton patch in the front
yard, tire swing, clothes line and out-
house.
   * Wildlife of Greene County by Jackie Ralph Sample of Paragould. Many of Sample's family have enjoyed hunting, and the counted cross-stitch block shows a duck, deer, racoon, squirrel, quail and rabbit.
   * Grandmother's flower garden by
Lena Canamore Johnston Box of Paragould. This is a block of a popular old quilting pattern used in early Greene County. Box is a voracious quilter herself.
   * The Futrell for Governor railroad
box car by John Hitchcock of Para-
gould. Hitchcock said he had never
done any needlework before but did
this embroidered block to represent
his vocation. He worked for the Mis-
souri Pacific Railroad from 1925 until
1934. He was a ticket agent on the day that a special, 20-car train made the trip from Paragould to Hot Springs for Futrell's pre-primary election day rally. Hitchcock said that 2,000 persons rode the train, which took 14 hours to make the trip.
   * A map of Greene County by Marge Payne Ford. This cross-stitch block shows many of the communities in the county, along with cropland, Crowley's Ridge and the railway, centered around a church.
   * The Centennial logo by Helen
Sparks Mickey. The block is done in
cross-stitch with piecework.

 

Saving History

 

Transcribed by: PR Massey

Return to Greene County, Arkansas Centennial Edition

Return to Greene County, Arkansas Newspapers

Return to Greene County, Arkansas Index Page

 

2011 PR Massey