Text Box:   LOGAN COUNTY ARKANSAS

 

“Logan County, the sixty-fifth county created, was first given the name of Sarber county, after J. Newton Sarber, Senator from the Sixth District. It was formed March 22, 1871, out of territory taken from the counties of Yell, Johnson, Franklin and Scott. The temporary seat of justice was located at Reveille, C.P. Anderson, James L. White and James S. Garner were appointed Commissioners to locate the county seat permanently; but afterwards, in 1873, James R. Saferry, Daniel R. Lee and James A. Shrigley were appointed to locate it, and they established it at Paris, where it has since remained. By Act of the Legislature of December 14, 1875, the name of the county was changed to Logan county, in honor of Colonel James Logan, on of the pioneers in that part of the State. “  Cited from “A Pictorial History of Arkansas From Earliest Times to the year 1890” By Fay Hempstead, St. Louis and New York N.D. Thompson Publishing Co. 1890 Book located in the Johnson County Library.          CLICK to Read the rest of the Article

 

 THIS COUNTY IS ADOPTABLE!

   E-mail the State Coordinator if you are interested in adopting this county

 

 Post and Read Queries

 

Click Here to read Older Queries

(Note: due to age some email addresses may not still be valid)

 

     JOIN the Logan County AR Mailing List

Search ->ARGenWeb Archives

Search -> USGenWeb Archives

 

                   

Text Box: Hello & Welcome;
 Any Data, pictures, or local history you would care to share is most appreciated and welcomed.
Logan County City Map

1895 Map of Logan County

Text Box: VISIT OUR SURROUNDING COUNTIES
Johnson  Franklin  Yell  Scott Pope
The USGenWeb LogoParis Courthouse on Town Square

COURTHOUSE ON TOWN SQUARE IN PARIS

Logan Co. History Museum and Original Jail

LOGAN CO. HISTORY MUSEUM


powered by FreeFind

Fall Colors at the top of

Mt. Magazine

November 3, 2008

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending at all hazards;...We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors.. [they] transmitted them to us with care and diligence.”                        Samuel Adams

Towns in 1890 were Paris (incorporated February 8, 1879), Boonsville, Magazine, Rosevill, National Springs, Chismville, Caulksville, Ellsworth, Prairieview, Morrisons Bluff and Dublin

There were courthouse fires in 1874 and 1877.

Read more of the history.