Shovel digging up ancestors

Digging Up Ancestors In Arkansas

Article by Ed Sanders

Past President of the Arkansas Genealogical Society

This Article is reprinted here with the permission of Ed Sanders. I'd like to thank him very much for allowing this information to be available to all Marion County AR researchers.


Those who are willing to help you can do so best if you will furnish a NAME, EVENT (birth, death, or marriage), DATE and PLACE when requesting genealogical information. There is no way we can send you "all the information on the Gehouthenhiemer family." We try hard to help. Please be specific. Thnx!

VITAL RECORDS: Comments: For Birth, Death, Marriage and Divorce certificates, request the proper form from Arkansas Department of Health, Vital Statistics Division, 4815 West Markham Street, Slot 44, Little Rock AR 72205. Birth certificates are $5, Death certificates are $4, others are $3, as of 01 Dec 1997.

ARKANSAS ARCHIVES: To determine what information is available in the state archives, send by ordinary U.S. Postal Service mail, with SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) a request for descriptive flyers about the holdings of Arkansas History Commission and State Archives, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock AR 72201.

One question about one specific person may can be answered-if, and only if-the material is indexed. There will be a charge for the lookup and copy.

FREE AND ALMOST FREE MAPS: Free maps for each U.S. county are available through your Congressman. Request a USDA SOIL SURVEY MAP for (fill in your) county, or counties. Your Congressman will have email at <(his/her last name)> , as of 9/21/98 the Representative for Yellville can be reached at or can receive ordinary mail when addressed by name at the Longworth Office Building, Washington DC 20515. Cemeteries are indicated on these aerial photos, and locations are determined by the Section, Township and Range grid on the maps. To Find Your Representative

A single copy of a map of ROADS, OLD TRAILS, TRACES AND HISTORICAL PLACES OF ARKANSAS is available FREE when requested in person at the office of Cooperative Extension Service in each of the 75 counties of Arkansas. If you cannot appear in person, write: Cooperative Extension Service, University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture, Fayetteville AR 72701 and request a copy of map MP149 enclose $2.00 for each map to cover shipping and handling.

Write Arkansas Department of Highways & Transportation, 10324 Interstate 30, Little Rock AR 72209, and request a copy of the book of maps titled STATE HIGHWAY ROUTES AND SECTIONS BY COUNTY. These are traffic maps and have a lot of numbers on them, but the good stuff is there too, and the price is $5.40 each for shipping and handling. Each of the 75 counties is included in the book.

A free copy of the current issue of the official Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department's STATE HIGHWAY MAP is available by ordinary mail upon request to: Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock AR 72201.

TO FIND OTHER RESEARCHERS: Write by ordinary mail: Arkansas Genealogical Society, Box 908, Hot Springs AR 71902-0908, and request a membership application. Membership ($15 per year) includes four issues per year of the 40pp quarterly, Arkansas Family Historian, and free queries. Send your first query with your membership application and fee. It will soon be in print.

      Dividing Line


Linda Haas Davenport