LEADING CITIZENS OF NEVADA COUNTY IN 1900
(from the Times-Picayune of
April 12, 1900 and reprinted in the The Nevada News beginning with the June 1, 1972 issue)
Capt. I. L. Adair came from
Georgiato Arkansas just before the war clouds began to gather. Since 1858 he has made southwest Arkansas his home. At the opening battle cry in 1861, he mounted a cavalry-man’s horse and announced he was ready for duty. He was captain under Gen. Cabbel.
Thomas Alsobrooks was born in
Georgiain 1830 and came to Arkansas in 1855. For 45 years, he has labored on the farm, cultivating her soil and honoring his parents and the church to which he belongs.
C. B. Andrews, Esq. is a graduate of the Arkansas Law School of Little Rock. In 1892 he was appointed postmaster and served four years. He is a native of this county and at present is a candidate for the legislature.
Crawford Andrews, age 76, who lives near Emmet was born and raised near his present home. He is now 76 years old and quite active. It is said that Uncle Crawford came here before the bear and stayed until he ran them out.
Dr. E. R. Armsted who for 17 years has been one of our popular and leading physicians is a native of
North Carolina. He graduated with medical honors in March, 1853. He served as a Confederate surgeon.
R. P. Arnold carries a fine line of fancy groceries and confectioneries and has one of the finest soda fountains of this county in our city. Mr. Arnold and his brother,
Clifton are natives of this county and sons of Dr. W. E. Arnold who lives in the hearts of many of our citizens. They are highly respected and first class young gentlemen.
John R. Atkins for 85 years has breathed earth’s native air. He was born in
South Carolina. He dates 20 and 4 years to her honor and 61 years are given to Arkansas where his family has grown.
Rev. A. Avery, 90 years old, is one of the most interesting and honored citizens of this county and lives 6 miles west of
Prescott. He has passed the 90th mile post of his age, born in Johnson County, North Carolina. For 69 years his voice has rung out from the pulpits of Tennessee and Arkansas. He came to Arkansas in its wilderness state, in the infancy of its record. In 1837 he crossed the Arkansas River on a 3 log raft and landed on the western side to bid adios to native soil and to enter a life struggle for Methodism. For about 30 years he has been living near Old Midway church.
J. W. Baker, Esq. is a native of
Louisiana. He studied law under Hamp Smead and is at present City Attorney for this place.
Mrs. Lucy J. Barham of Sutton is of
Tennessee birth and was married to Jas. M. Barham of Kentucky blood. They came to Arkansas about 55 years ago. Elder W. R. Barham and Dr. Chas. F. Barham are her sons who reflect honor upon her and their sainted father. Lewis G. Barham is honored by sheltering her in her aged walks.
Capt. William J. Blake, a gallant Confederate soldier, became a citizen of
Arkansas in 1856 and in Dec., 1861 enlisted as a private in Co. I, 15th Regt., Ark. Infantry. He was in this regiment under Col. James J. Gee at Ft. Helman, Tenn. When Grant’s movements against the forts of the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers began, and being transferred across the river to Ft. Henry, took part in the defense of that post. Marching thence to Ft. Donelson, he took part in the battle of Feb. 15 with the brigade of Col. Joseph Drake. At the surrender, he escaped and went to Memphis, from there returning to Arkansas. Having lost his regiment, he began the organization of a new company in which he was successful and was elected captain. He later was made a prisoner and was held at the prison camps at Alton, Illinois and Johnson’s Island, Lake Erie until 1864.
E. Y. Blakely was born in
Clington, South Carolina and came to Arkansas in 1859 reaching Nevada County in 1871 and since that time with the exception of five years in Texas, has made this his home. In 1896 he was elected county assessor and in 1898 was elected to the office of Sheriff and Collector of our county, which office he still holds.
R. L. Blakely is a native of
Arkansas. Raised in Johnson County, he came to Prescott in 1889. He began business in a small way which increased as an ever-flowing and increasing stream. Notwithstanding the heavy losses sustained by fire last November, his business has grown until he now carries a full and complete stock of dry goods, groceries, millinery and feed stuff and is considered the largest cotton buyer in our section of the state. Behind his counters are found T. L. Purtle, D. B. Thompson, Blackwell Jordan, George Christopher, and none more efficient than Mrs. E. A. Shankle, Mrs. B. H. Blakely, Misses Edna Shankle and Hattie Barr. B. H. Blakely, brother of R. L., has charge of the books and Miss Lizzie Cobb has charge of the cash carrier.
Bodcaw High Schoolis located at Bodcaw in Parker Township. Prof. Hollis is principal and is assisted by Miss Reed. Under their management are found about 60 of the leading young men and women of this section. This school was established in 1896 and has steadily grown and is doing much to stimulate our young people to higher education.
Col. H. G. Brooks has been a citizen of
Prescott since 1880. During the war he served as lieutenant under Harrison. He has been one of our leading merchants and today is one of the wealthiest men.
J. U. Brown, son of J. C. Brown, is one of our assistant postmasters. He was raised on the farm and has rapidly grown into the confidence of our people. For several years he taught in our county and now is assistant postmaster and one of the most popular and promising young men.
Prof. P. L. Burrow who has charge of our
Tom Allen High School is a native of Tennessee. He was born and raised on a farm in Bedford Co., and was the 15th of 16 children. He went to the Univesity of Ohio at Lebanonwhere he graduated with honors in 1888, after which he came to Arkansas and married Miss Ida Blackwell in 1890. He came to our town 3 years ago and he and his accomplished wife have labored to meet the issues of a busy school life.
Prof. N. B. Burrow, like his brother, is of
Tennessee blood and was raised on his father’s farm and numbered nine in his father’s home. He, too, sought to carve his way into literary circles. He graduated at the University of Tenn. In 1881 and after serving an important place as teacher and principal of leading institutions, he came to Arkansas. Tiring of the long occupation of teaching, he has accepted a position with the Mutual Life Insurance Co., and at present, is one of us.
J. O. A. Bush, Esq. is of thoroughbred
Arkansas blood. He was born and raised in Pike County and was county and circuit clerk of that county from 1884 to 1890. He came to Prescott and has figured large in county and state politics in the Populist party. He was in the legislature in 1897 and is author of the famous Bush Bill. He was editor and manager of the People’s Tribune at this place from August, 1891 until Nov. 1899, he and Guy Nelson forming a law firm under the name of Nelson and Bush.
W. S. Caldwell lives in
Taylor township and is now more than 60 years old. He was raised in the community in which he now lives. During the war, he was wounded from which he has never recovered. He has been a Methodist for years and no one is more prompt to his church call than he has been.
S. D. Carman, living 10 miles northwest of town, is among our honored citizens. He has passed his eighty-fifth birthday. His life has been one of honor and deep piety. He has lived in the community where he now lives for about 35 years. He was born and raised in
Tennessee, but has given his active and mature manhood to Arkansas.
Elijah DeLaughter is one of
Nevada’s purest and best citizens. He runs a general supply business at Boughton where he has been for ten years.
A. M. Denman, our popular and efficient county clerk came to
Prescott in 1878 and has figured largely in our county politics and business interests.
D. A. J. Estes who lives just south of town, came here in 1892 and has made many friends and endeared himself to the people of his community by his industry in farm life. His orchard bears peaches, apples, pears, blackberries, strawberries, apricots, and raspberries and he also had various lines of poultry.
Nathan Fairchild is 82 years old and is still able to plow all day. For 43 years he has been in
Arkansas. His faith is that of the Primitive Baptist and his upright walk has won for him the good will and highest returns from all who know him.
G. M. Franks of
Albany township for 52 years and his home has been within two miles of Harmony Church. Since the first edition of the Picayune until the present, he has been one of its constant readers and strong supporters.
Ed. F. Gee carries a full line of gent’s furnishing. His business is managed by J. A. Bryan who is an old settler of Prescott and one of its finest salesmen they ever got behind a counter. Mr. Gee also deals largely in cattle, sheep, etc. He with his brother, William, first began business in our town with a very small capital and by honest dealing and close attention, he has pushed his way forward to business recognition in our leading cities and abroad.
Dr. Lee Gee was born and raised in
Nevada County. He just returned from St. Louis where he spent two terms in the Beaumont Medical College. He is a son of S. B. Gee and well known and highly respected. He carries his medicine case gracefully.
S. B. Gee is an old Confederate soldier and one of
Prescott’s strongest business men. He first began business in Prescott in 1882 with his brothers, William and Ed. He afterwards sold out and in 1898 opened the present line of general merchandise with Ira Gee and Brad Hamilton. Ira is his son; Brad his son-in-law.
O. B. Gordon, who is cashier of the Nevada County Bank has made his home in
Arkansas since the age of 12. He has served the people of our city as mayor for several terms and has figured largely in state and county politics and at present is chairman of the Democratic County Convention. He has reached high water mark in the Masonic Order, having taken the 32nd degree.
Dr. J. M. F. Gill, a native of
Nevada and a graduate of Tulane University at New Orleans, La., of the class of 1889, located at Emmet for several years where he controlled a good practice; for the last few years, he has shared a good practice in our community.
Jack Grayson, deputy postmaster, was raised in
Prescott and served as postmaster for 4 years under Harrion’s administration and has figured in Republican politics in the county since childhood. He was turnkey for the U. S. Jail at Ft. Smith and U. S.deputy marshal for 18 months.
Hon. M. W. Greeson is strictly of
Arkansas production. He was born in Van Buren county and educated in Clinton, after which he took a law course at Lebanon, Tenn., where he graduated in the front ranks of the class of 1888. The following fall he came to Prescott and formed a partnership with W. V. Tompkins. For nine years they continued their business which was extensive and satisfactory. Since 1897, he has been to himself. His land department has grown until he has charge of large bodies of land ranging through six counties in southwest Arkansas. He is mayor of our city and one of our best citizens.
Christopher Columbus Hamby is a lawyer of long standing in our town and is “practicing for the money there is in it.”
H. A. Hamilton & Co. are successors to Hamilton Sharp and Co. Since 1896, they have done business under the above name. The business has been exceedingly prosperous and today they are classed among the leading merchants. J. K. and H. A. Hamilton are of fine blood and have a special art in making friends. In 1879, they crossed the Mississippi river and landed on
Arkansas soil, where they have enjoyed the hospitality of the noble people of our state and have been ready with all their powers to make it the banner state in the Union and Prescott the fairest of her daughters. Behind the counters are Pomp Whitesides and Ben Hatley who are ready with yard stick and ready hands to meet the issues of the day.
P. C. Hamilton is one of our retired business men and a true noble man. He is of
Alabama birth and is now 67 years old; has watched every movement of Arkansas since 1857 and is among the few who came to Prescott in 1873. During the war he showed true manhood and bravery under the Confederate flag and since by an upright walk.
H. M. Hannah, who is the owner and proprietor of the H. M. Hannah Barber Shop, came to
Prescott in 1895. Since moving to our town he has made many friends and his barber shop is of modern convenience, has hot and cold baths with all other modern and first class conveniences.
P. S. and J. R. Harrell run a general blacksmith, gunsmith, wagon and buggy repair shop. They came to our town in 1885. Success has met them on every hand, and today they are classed high in the estimation of our people.
W. T. Hart came to
Prescott in June, 1891 from Mississippi. He is of Tennessee birth and has done a profitable grocery business in our community since he came, and continues to gain friends and customers as he makes acquaintances. He stands high in this community in social, moral, and literary circles and is worthy of the confidence of his many acquaintances.
W. A. Hatley has been a citizen of our town since 1875. He is a traveling salesman for Turner Bros., wholesale grocers of
Hon. G. R. Haynie is a native of our county and son of Judge E. T. Haynie. He is a member of our state Senate and a prominent young lawyer in our city.
T. S. Hellums and John Vaughn are next door neighbors and occupy joining farms 5 miles west of
Prescott. They stand time worn, but bending with honor and unquestioned confidence in the minds of their neighbors and friends.
Dr. S. J. Hesterly has enjoyed the free and open air of
Arkansas from his birth. After securing a good literary education, he entered Memphis Hospital Medical College where he graduated with the class of 1895. After a season of active practice at Bluff City, he came to Prescott in 1897, where he has enjoyed a lucrative practice.
J. B. Higgins was born in
Troy, New York and went to Canadain his early boyhood. He came to Prescott in 1881 and since that time he has made his home among us, an honorable citizen. His range of information is extensive and his skill in shoe making and shoe leather is in advance of anyone we have ever had in our community. He passed his 65th birthday and is still active and is highly respected by his many friends in this community.
Dr. R. L. Hinton has passed his 70th birthday. He is a native of N. C. and came to
Arkansas in 1848. He graduated in the Medical College at Memphis, Tenn. in 1858. For 12 years he practiced medicine in west Tennessee, and moved to Washington and in 1866 opened a drug store where he continued in business until 1877. He came to Prescott later and opened a drug store here. He has had 45 years of active work. He now donates his time to his drug store, having retired from medical practice. He has served the M. E. Church South 34 years as steward and today is one of the most active members of that denomination.
The Citizens Bank was organized in 1895 with a capital stock of $25,000. Dr. A. Harris, Pres., S. A. Scott, V-Pres., and J. S. Regan cashier. This bank has done a good business from the beginning and its deposits and general volume of business have increased. The officers of this bank are among our most worthy men and no one need to have any fears of money placed in their hands. Mr. Regan has ranked among
Prescott’s most honored citizens for 18 years. He came from Louisiana in 1870 and settled near our town, and in 1883 moved to Prescott. He was elected sheriff in 1886 and served 2 years; since then he has stood among our best business men. When the Citizens Bank organized, he took stock in it and held the position of cashier since 1895. No business ahs lagged in his hands. His courteous manners and firmness in principle have made him a success.
John Cope has been a citizen of
Arkansas since 1858. He came of North Carolina blood and was born in 1855. He was married to Miss May C. McCollum of Alabama. Their home has been in Prescott for 22 years and their noble deed of kindness will linger in the minds of many of our people after they rest from their labors. Mr. Cope has passed through the war and took part in some of the leading battles during that 4 years march. They live in honor and high esteem and their home has been known as the home for their pastors for 45 years. No minister ever met a frown at their door.
Elder L. H. Hitt was born in
Mississippi and came to Arkansas in 1879. He was two years in the Baptist High School at Arkadelphia. For 17 years he has filled the leading pulpits of the Missionary Baptist Church in Nevada and Clark counties. The minutes of the Red River Association show that he has remained with the same church longer and baptized more members than any minister of the association. He is a strong preacher and a high-toned Christian gentleman, unswerving from duty and Christian citizenship. He lives 3 miles east of town on his farm where he raised an abundance of corn, cotton, hogs, etc., in fact, everything necessary to carry on a first class farming interest. Success has been the result of his every undertaking. He is now 45 years old and in the strength of manhood.
John Honea is now 72 years old and coming from his native state of S. C. in 1851, he has spent 46 years in our state, full of good deeds and Christian love. He lives to do good and forget not the indulgence of an ever kind father. Catherine, his wife, is 9 years his junior and ever tender and true, active and good.
J. Wilburn Honea first looked on this world’s beauty in the state of S. C. in the year 1833. In 1852 he reached
Arkansas and since that time, except his wanderings during the Civil strife, he has lived in our state. His zeal for Christ and his kingdom have been more than that of many men. His wife still stands by his side. Their children number 15 and are an honor to their Christian devotion. Though they have passed the 3 score years, their lives are active and full of usefulness.
G. B. Jobe, aged 78, was born in the state of
Tennessee but since 1857 ahs made his home in Arkansas. 70 and 8 mark his pilgrimage on earth. His Christian life has been cast with the M. E. Church South and his life is a stainless one. The way came and went, but his life remained without a blur.
D. W. Johnson carries a line of general merchandise under the management of Dan W. Johnson. Mr. Johnson is of old
Virginia blood and has sold thousands of dollars worth of goods in our town. He came to Prescott in 1880 and his wife took charge of the Johnson Hotel and continued 12 years. Since then they have moved to their private home. Mr. Johnson stands among Prescott’s noble men and carries the friendship of our best people.
O. S. Jones who has been one of our leading populists for a number of years, is one of our best men and has never failed to give full support to every laudable enterprise of our county. He served in our legislature in 1889 and succeeded in passing the Ten Mile Act which freed our county from the sale of intoxicants. Mr. Jones is a native of
Georgia, but since 1859 he has made Arkansas his home and in 1875 he came to Prescott where he has successfully run a wagon and blacksmith establishment. He is one of the two living charter members of the Baptist Church at this place and stands high among our people.
P. B. Jones, age 55, the representative of our county, is a native of
Mississippi. In 1859 he reached Caney, Arkansas and since that time his life has passed without reproach. He was among the most considerate representatives in the last assembly of Arkansas state lawmakers. He is now candidate for re-election and doubtless will make a successful race and do honor to his constituency.
Thomas Jones, 79 years old, came from Franklin County, Alabama in 1848 and has lived in the same community near Laneburg all these years. His walks and friendly conversations and deeds of kindness have won for him confidence and respect by all who know him. Time has dealt gently with him.
J. H. Krenshaw is one of our leading grocery men. For years he has been counted with our town and has carried a full line of groceries and confectioneries. He is of English blood and his polite and enterprising ways have won for him many true and tried friends.
A. J. Lavender is among our best citizens. He carries a full line of general merchandise on
West Main St. He is a thoroughbred Arkansan and is now 51 years of age. He has spent his life in this community and enjoys the full confidence of our people.
J. W. Lightsey is a native of
Bibb County, Alabama. He has reached his seventieth station on his earthly pilgrimage and for 52 years he has been connected with Arkansas and her interests. His wife, aged and true, still walks by his side and they comfort each other as they stand looking on fallen comrades of years gone by. They are honored and esteemed by their neighbors.
B. H. Logan who has been one of
Prescott’s leading men for 22 years, is a native of Clark County. At present he is numbered with the best and most successful traveling men in Arkansas. No question tending to the moral up-building of our town fails to receive his full attention.
Rev. Dr. E. A. Lowdermilk, aged 70, is of
Mississippi blood. He reached the soil of our state in 1849. Since 1879, he has passed his years in Prescott, where he has stood by many moral issues and has planted himself on the temperance side of every temperance fight in our town and county. While the star is sinking behind the western hills, he tells brighter and richer experience year after year.
Wilburn Haynie Mack, our town marshal, is full-bred
Nevada blood and of her best and most prominent families. He was selected town marshal at our last city election and is making full proof of his schooling under E. Y. Blakely as deputy sheriff. Everyone likes Wib.
Mark Barrow is living 8 miles west of Prescott, having passed his 3 score and ten years, lived more than 50 years in this community and still occupies the same farm, and enjoys good health and confidence and high esteem of all who know him.
John R. Marsh living in the lower end of
Nevada is of N. C. birth. His character is without reproach. He came with his parents to Arkansas in mid-winter in 1849. He marched under the Confederate flag for 2 years and returned to his home at Caney, where he has lived and made full proof of a Christian faith. His wife was a Gladden and in every way worthy of such honored associations.
Elijah Matthews lives 7 miles south of
Prescott, moved from Union Parish, La. To Nevada in 1868, married and moved home in 1876 and still resides at the same homestead. He is now 50 years old and in active life and in the enjoyment and confidence and respect of all who know him. For 24 years, his companion has stood with him in life’s battles and shared his fortunes and trials. Their lives have been spent on the farm and with marked success.
C. Mantz who lives 3 miles west of town is now in the 68th year, is one of Nevada’s strong intellectual giants. He has grown old through crippled and contracted nerves. He was born in
, came to Germany Ohio, in 1852. In 1854, he moved to USA Illinois, and to Arkansas in 1879, settled on Prairie DeAnne where he now resides. His wife with whom he has spent more than 40 years has passed her 60th birthday.
Mrs. G. S. Merritt’s Oyster café and lunch counter is of recent date, but well conducted and a general supply enables her customers to order and receive the many delicacies afforded by our market.
John M. Milburn came from
Louisiana to Arkansas with his mother and sister in 1876, and settled near Artesian. His pluck and grit were shown by his working morning, evenings, and Saturdays until he had acquired a good education at Capt. John A. Ansley’s academy. In 1869, he accepted a position with W. E. and R. E. Arnold as drug clerk. He afterwards clerked for N. T. Richmond and then J. D. Jordan Drug Co. After occupying important positions and proving his abilities as a business man, he was elected president of the Prescott Hardware Co. when it was established in 1890, which position he still holds. Mr. Milburn stands high. His marked success and affable spirit has won for himself many friends.
O. R. McDaniel, successor to Sharp & McDaniel, is a native of
Columbia county, but raised in Nevada. He was county and circuit clerk of our county in 1894 to 1896. Since then he has been in the hardware business in our town. Among our many worthy and enterprising citizens, none excel Mr. McDaniel. He stands high in every department of true and tried citizenship. His business includes furniture, harness, tinware, and a big line of queenware, bill supplies, and in fact, everything an up-to-date business of this kind. His building is a two story with a warehouse in the rear. His tinware manufacture and repair department is under control of L. P. Hitchcock who has been with this business in its changes for nearly 20 years. Messers. Munn and Martin are found ever on hand with honest hearts and minds to distribute to the necessities of his many customers.
T. W. McDaniel is one of
Nevada’s own productions and is just entering upon the active duties of life. He finished his second term in the Beaumont Medical College at St. Louis ths spring and has stood a creditable examination before our county board and is now in regular practice. He is worthy and competent. He is the oldest son of O. R. McDaniel.
W. S. McDaniel, age 73, has been a citizen of
Arkansas since 1853. His birthplace is in North Carolina. His wife is seven years his junior and side by side they have breasted the storms of life for 49 years. They are Missionary Baptists and live in the Morris community.
G. B. McGraw, Esq. came from
Monroe County, Mississippi to Arkansas in 1852. During the Civil War he carried a musket under the Confederate flag and suffered from the enemy’s bullet but came out with a faith that said Confederates can’t be starved or whipped, but may be overpowered. Mr. McGraw has served our people as constable and justice of the peace for a number of years and ranks among our truest and best citizens.
Henry B. McKenzie, son of C. L. McKenzie, is a student of law in the office of W. V. Thompkins. He is a graduate of
Hendrix College of the class of 1898. In 1897 he was successful in the Oratorical Contest and as a reward of that able effort, he won a gold medal. At his graduation he was chosen by his class to deliver the class oration which was an honor to him and his class. Since his graduation he has been principal of the public school at Horatio in Sevier County, and at Chidester in Ouachita County. Mr. McKenzie is a young man of exceptionally rare gifts and graces. Before him lies a rich harvest of usefulness and greatness in both church and state.
I. E. McMillion who has figured largely in business circles in our town for 18 years, is a native of
Alabama. For 15 years he made Wolf Brothers one of the most active salesmen they had on the road. For 4 years past he has been in active business in our town. At present he is on the road again, and no doubt about Ira selling his goods. He wins confidence and trade wherever he goes.
W. A. McMillion carries a good line of general merchandise. His life has been spent among the people of this community and his friends are bound by his acquaintances. His life is spotless, his dealings honorable and honest. Miss Ada Cantley, who is found behind his counters, is one of
Prescott’s purest and best daughters, and wins for Mr. McMillion many worthy customers.
A. W. Moncrief was another Confederate veteran and of
blood. From Georgia Louisiana he came to Prescott in 1882, where his friends have grown with his acquaintances. None who know him can say ought against him. His walks among our people have made friends rich and poor. He stands as one of our ablest and purest citizens. He has passed 3 score and 11 years, which gives him a ripe old age. His wife in none the less admired and loved by all who know her motherly walks and counsel.
Hugh Moncrief was born in
Alabama and came to Arkansas from Homer, Louisiana in 1881. Since that time, he has been actively engaged in the drug business until last fall, when he was burned out with many others. His knowledge of drugs and accommodating skill won for him a large patronage. Owing to impaired health, he is looking after various interests until his building is completed, when he hopes to re-enter business.
A. Monson was born in
in 1841. He came to the U. S. of America in 1869 and to Sweden Prescott in 1871. He has watched every development of our city. He boarded the hands while the railroad was being constructed. He has watched her growth and development with anxiety. For 11 years he ahs been dealing in musical instruments and today has the only music store in our town. His honest dealings have won for him the confidence of our people, and a liberal patronage.
A. B. Moody, living near Caney, is one of
Nevada’s oldest citizens, and since 1860 has lived on the same farm. He served through the war as a Confederate soldier; his moral and social standing is high; his neighbors speak to him in high terms.
Guy Nelson, Esq. is a son of
birth and Georgia Arkansas raising. 1850 marks the year he reached Arkansas and he came to Prescott in 1874 and has been a citizen of our town since that time. In 1876 he was admitted to the bar and since that time, he has practiced law in our town and has made a success. He is at present a member of the firm of Nelson & Bush which is composed of himself and J. O. A. Bush. His business grows with the age of the firm.
Nevada County Bank was organized in 1885. Hence it is the oldest bank in southwest
Arkansas. J. C. Young is president, W. B. Waller, vice-president, and O. B. Gordon, cashier. It’s capital stock is $25,000; deposits $84,216.06; undivided profits, $3,514.86; Total $112,730.92. J. C. Young, O. B. Gordon, and W. R. White, Jr. are found busy in their various departments at all times.
Francis Newth is of English blood and beneath the Union flag marched to the drum beat during the civil disturbances. He lives 2 ½ miles west of our city and enjoys the sunshine of his 69 years, while his active wife smiles beneath the weight of 3 score years. Their literary turn of mind has done much to mold the educational influence in the community.
Nichols Brothers, J. T. and I. D. Nichols, were born on the farm in this county. After successful farm life, they harnessed their financial forces and came to
Prescott two years ago. Since that time they have passed forces through our recent fires and yet command a full stock of general merchandise with special attention paid to dry goods and shoes. This gives to the world another expression of the possibilities of Nevada County farm life.
P. Norman, who lives one mile south of
Prescott, was born in Alabama. The Arkansas fever rose in 1858 and landed him in her borders. Under the Confederate flag he moved during the war, and his old musket never failed to obey “P’s” command. For years he has moved among our people as one of our best citizens. His is a liberal, accommodating , and ever ready to lend a helping hand to one in distress.
William Ogden was born in
Montgomery County, Alabama Dec. 29, 1823. He moved to Arkansas in 1844 and shouldered his old musket in the defense of the lost cause and went out among the volunteers in 1861. When the drumbeat was hushed and the battle cry heard no more, he laid down his musket at Marshall, Texas and joined his 5 motherless children at Lisbon, Union County, Ark. More than 25 years ago, he came to this community and still enjoys the communion of friends.
George Oliver who lives in our town is 68 years old; born in
Alabama; came to Arkansas in 1848, and since 1877 he has made his home in this community. His steps have been in a smooth path and his walk upright before man. His evening shadows lengthen to a peaceful end and a happy eternity. His lot has been cast with the Missionary Baptist church for 47 years.
The Parker Hotel was established in 1890 under the management of Capt. Sidney Parker and wife. After his death in 1892, the house continued under Mrs. Parker’s control until she married Judge Ellis. Since then they have continued a successful business. The house contains about 30 rooms, elegantly furnished with modern conveniences, water and electric lights with bath rooms and 3 large sample rooms. Mrs. Ellis has done much to make her house a real home for her many guests.
Capt. John Parker of Parker township is from
Alabama. He was raised in Mississippi and came to Louisiana to Arkansas in 1853. During the state’s strife he was captain of Company C., 20th Ark. Reg. under Col. Dan Jones. For nearly two years he was among our Confederate prisoners on Johnston Island. Since the war he has lived in the same community and met every issue of an honored citizen. He served the county as tax assessor in 1885-1886, and was treasurer in 1891-1892 and was nominated without even soliciting the office. In 1898 he was again elected to the assessor’s office which he still holds, and is at present a candidate for re-election. He has passed his threescore and ten years, but is full of cheer, sunshine, and activity. No one who knows Capt. Parker can raise ought against his record. He ripens with a sure and safe footing for a happy eternity.
H. W. Patton came to
Arkansas in 1880 and from Columbia in mid-winter to Nevada. In 1882 and with 2 years exception which was spent in the free state of Pike, he has made his home in Nevada County where his friends have grown with his acquaintances. He is now candidate for assessor and stands a good chance of the office as any man in the county.
William Peachey, a 63 year old veteran of the Union flag, lives 2 miles west of
Prescott. For 20 years he has occupied the same homestead. He is another one of Illinois’ sons who has found a hearty welcome among the Southern people and made friends with all whom he has met until his friends are numbered by his acquaintances. His religious life has given moral tone and cast to his sons, but perhaps mot more than his wife, who has for 40 years, stood by his side amidst the shadows and sunshine of an active life.
Dr. John W. Peeples is a native of
Tennessee, born in McNairy County. At the age of 18, he began the study of medicine and graduated at the age of 22 at the medical college at Louisville, Ky. After a few years practice in west Tennessee, he came to Arkansas and in the winter of 1888-1889, he took his first post graduate course of medical lectures at the college where he had graduated. He took a course this past winter and has just returned, better armed for his profession than ever in life. His practice has been a success and he stands highly respected by all who know him.
W. W. Phillips who left Tennessee the next day after James Buchanan was elected president, landed on the west side of the Mississippi and still lives in this community and is nearing the third score of his earthly walks. He passed the Confederate posts of duty with musket and honor, and unmarked by the ravages of war, and his morals are so upright that he has his first oath to speak. He enjoys the respect and confidence of all who know him.
Daniel Pipkin is one of
Nevada’s oldest, purest, and most highly respected citizens. For many years his home has been at Glenville, where he has raised a large and interesting family. His name is a household word in many homes in Arkansas. Some of his sons have gone in the ministry, and others into other important stations of a rapidly developing country. Uncle Daniel is noted for his power in revival meetings and the strength of his faith. His wife is a stainless one. His reward will be one given to a well-spent life. His wife is still living, and for more than a half century, they have breasted earth’s storms side by side. She is the embodiment of motherliness and purity.
Jerry Pittman, living 4 ½ miles north of Prescott, is one of our oldest landmarkers, having come to Arkansas from the good old state of Georgia more than fifty years ago. He has watched the development of our country with pride. His once happy hunting ground is now under fence and the home of the happy farmer gladdens his heart. He has passed threescore years and is still an active man and honorable citizen.
Judge John M. Pittman was born and raised in
Lafayette County, Arkansas. Under the bridal mantle of a promising life, he came to Prescott in 1876 where he has lived and advanced with the rapid progress of our county for 4 years he served as deputy clerk under George Christopher. In 1886 he was elected county and probate judge of our county. In 1890 a stock company was formed and denominated The Prescott Hardware Co., of which he is Secretary and Treasurer and the largest stockholder of the company. Judge Pittman is also president of the Northwestern and Western Ry. Co. which will extend from Fayetteville, Ark. to Talequah, I. T. No man has stood harder by every advanced interest of our town and county than Judge Pittman and perhaps no man enjoys more the friendship and confidence of her citizens than he does.
Dr. J. P. Powell is a native of
Mississippi and a graduate of Vanderbilt University at Nashville, Tenn. He came to Arkansas in the fall of 1866 and settled in Lafayette county with his parents. In 1875 he began the practice of dentistry. After 2 years in Vanderbilt University he graduated with honors in his profession in 1882. Amidst the burning sunbeams of the summer of 1888, he came to Prescott where his practice has grown with his acquaintances. He stands as one of the leaders in morals and temperance in our community. He is highly respected by all.
Prescott Hardware Co. was organized and began business in 1890 with an authorized stock of $20,000 of which $10,500 are fully paid up. Since its organization it has added a complete stock of furniture, window blinds, windows, doors, and a full line of undertaker goods. In their store can be found the largest and most complete stock of oils, paints, and varnishes in
Prescott. Their saddle, harness, and repair outfit is one of the largest in southwest Arkansas, and the only thing of its kind in Prescott. Mr. John Lancaster is master of this department. Their large iron warehouse is 30 x 200 feet and literally filled with wagons, buggies, and general farming implements. The present stockholders are Jno. M. Pittman, Jno. M. Milburn, W. B. Waller, J. C. Young, C. C. Hamby, Mrs. Julia G. Smoote, and Dan Pittman. Robert S. Stevens has helped to make business what it is having been behind its counters since its organization. Dan and Charlie Pittman are also important factors in the business.
J. M. Price is one of
Prescott’s noble men, honest, true, and religious. For 35 years he has made his home in this vicinity and 13 years in Prescott. He was born in Perry County, Alabama 65 years ago. His stay in Arkansas has won him many friends. He passed through the war under the Confederate flag receiving slight wounds in the flesh, but remaining firm in morals, and now remains with a firm faith and unshaken confidence.
Lawerence C. Purtle, aged 79 years, was born in
Bibb County, Alabama. In 1851 he landed in what was then Hempstead County, but now Nevada, where he has raised a large family of honorable children who have gone out to bless the communities in which they live with godly lives and good citizenship. He stands high in his community and church and is a wise counselor and a good man and soon the reward of a well-spent life will be his.
Dr. William W. Rice is of
Mississippi blood. He came to Arkansas in 1875. He spent three years at Hendrix College and afterwards took Ph. D. degree at Arkadelphia Methodist College in 1892. In 1896 he graduated from Beaumont Medical College in St. Louis, Mo. For the past two years he has had a splendid practice in our community. Judging from his rapid development in practice, we may expect a prosperous and successful future for him.
N. M. Riley, successor to J. W. Phillips, opened business in our town December last and carries a full line of fancy groceries. Mr. Riley is a native of
Georgiais honored as the birthplace of J. M. Rhodes, and Arkansas is honored with 43 years of his manhood and godly walks. His wife has walked by his side for many long years and stands with him at the 81st mile post of earthly pilgrimage. Their religious lot is cast with the Primitive Baptist Church.
For 26 years S. A. Scott has made his home in
Prescott and 40 years in Arkansas. From South Carolina, his native state, he came to Arkansas and settled at Cuttingham. In 1860 when the volunteers were called for he shouldered his musket and went in defense of the lost cause until the last bugle note sounded to announce peace between the states. After the war he settled at Murfreesboro. When the iron thread and the shrill whistle tended westward, he came to Prescott in 1874, and in 1878 he engaged in the furniture business, which was continued until last year when he retired from business one of Prescott’s strongest financial men, and carried with him the confidence and best wishes of all who know him. He is now in the 70th year and an honest, true, and upright citizen.
Scott Brothers Meat Market is run by H. V. Scott and Hunter Scott who are natives of our community and sons of S. A. Scott. They are nice accommodating gentlemen and carry a full line of the best meat our county affords. Their business was opened up last January and at present they have the only market in our city.
F. M. Smyth who lives one mile east of town, is of
New York birth, and after 30 years railroading in Illinois, he came to Arkansas in 1881 and settled in Prescott. For several years he has been crippled with rheumatism but he never forgets to be cheerful and full of smiles. He has served our people as mayor and justice of the peace for several terms each and has many friends among our people.
J. T. Stewart, age 55, lives 2 ½ miles northwest of
Prescott in Prairie DeAnne. Since 1850 he has trod Arkansas soil; from Tennessee he came; under the Confederate flag he stepped to the drum beat during our civil war and since the lost cause has bowed in submission. His moral standing is high; his friendship is felt by all and his friends are numbered by his acquaintances. His farm life is not without success.
Stephen R. Stewart, a native of
Georgia, lives in Taylor township and has enjoyed an active farm life on Arkansas soil for more than 50 years. 78 years have passed since his birth and yet his life is not without vigor of manhood.
Clayton Sutton, now in his 80th year, has spent 45 years in the Sutton community 12 miles south of town. He was from
Kentucky to Arkansas and has shown the genuine Ky. blood by an upright Christian walk and unbending character. His aged wife who has shared his sorrows and joys still lives in impaired health, but stainless in morals.
George W. Terry, among our many prominent men, is our druggist. He was born in
Atlanta, Ga. and came from S. C. to Arkansas in 1848. His war career was with Co. G, 9th Arkansas. He took a business course in New Orleans after the surrender, coming to Prescott in 1872. He was elected county and circuit clerk in 1886 and served two terms. He carries a complete drug stock and has a growing business.
Tracy R. Thomas was born and raised in
Little Rock, the “City of Roses”. He came to Prescott in 1895 as president of the Tracy R. Thomas Lumber Co. Since Mr. McKinley’s election, he has been appointed postmaster. His management of our office has been with care, politeness, and satisfaction. Of late years he has figured largely in the state Republican politics. He belongs to the younger class of Republican politicians, but carries thought and principles in his head equal to men of long standing. He continues his wholesale lumber business which grows constantly. His motto is “Fair and honest dealings with all”. His deputies, J. U. Brown and Jack Grayson are highly respected citizens.
Alex Vaughn is one of our
West Main St. merchants and carries a line of general merchandise. He was born in Georgiaand came to Arkansas via Louisiana in 1859 and in 1875, he came to Prescott where he has spent a quarter of a century in active business and church life. In 1892 he was elected county and circuit clerk and served two years. For 17 years he was superintendent of the Methodist Sunday school here. His record in that line of work is not paralleled by men of my acquaintance and his courage in temperance has doubtless caused him persecution and his good name to be cast under a cloud for a season, but he shines on like an unclouded sunbeam.
J. S. Thompson, who lives 12 miles south of Prescott, was born in Tennessee, moved to Arkansas in 1860 and has lived 37 years in the community of Sutton where he now lives. He passed through the war, was under the Confederate flag and came back the same Christian character he was before he left his quiet home. He has reached his 79th year and yet he is able to walk where he desires in his community. His friends are many and his moral character unimpeachable.
F. R. Thorburn is of Canadian birth and came to our town in 1880. He carries a full line of general merchandise and has the confidence and friendship of hundreds of our citizens. He figures close on all business propositions and is rapidly coming to the forefront of our leading men. His morals are deep seated and unshaken by obstacles.
When the discordant notes of civil strife were first being heard in the latter part of the year 1861, William Vernon Tompkins was born in the mosquito tenanted swamps of
White County, Ark. The gloomy snows of that eventful winter doubtless threw ominous aspect over matters mundane, but later years prove that no mean impression was made on William’s life by such austere incoming. His father was killed in the Battle of Helena on July 4th, 1863. He moved with his mother to Clinton, Van Buren county in 1867, where he was raised and educated, completing his education at Quitman in 1879. He made his first visit to Prescott in the spring of 1881, but returned to Van Buren county the next year and was admitted to the bar at Marshall, Ark. in 1883. He returned to Prescott that year and has made this his permanent home since. He was married to Miss Nellie Pope in 1884. In the spring of 1885 he was appointed by President Cleveland to the office of Mineral Land Commissioner in Montana. At the expiration of Mr. Cleveland’s term, he was appointed again by Mr. McKinley to the same position. After having held that office for four years, he resigned and returned to Prescott to give his attention to his chosen profession. The personal side of Mr. Tompkins is very pleasant and has had much to do with his success and standing among his fellows. His humorous sunny nature brings him into favor with all classes, while his high moral character, his honest integrity of purpose, and sound judgment give him rank with men of business as an eminently practical man. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbysterian church at this place and takes an active part in all departments of that institution. Mr. Tompkins is now entering the prime of life and present conditions bespeak for him future honors in both church and state.
John Vaughn and T. S. Hellums are door neighbors and occupy joining farms 5 miles northwest of
Prescott and have stood the winds and storms, sunshine and shadows of man’s allotted time, 60 years, and still meet the requirements of an active farm life. They stand timeworn, but bending with honor and unquestioned confidence in the minds of their neighbors and friends. Their moral standing has reached high water marks of Christian integrity.
Submitted by Jerry McKelvy