William Harrison George
In the farming affairs of Casa Township and the community's general advancement, Mr George has borne a worthy part. He was born in Pickens District, S.C., June 2, 1838, the eighth child in the family of Jesse George and Catherine Stone. The father, a farmer and of English descent, was also born in Sourth Carolina in 1798; his wife's birth occurring in the same State, in 1812; she died in November 1882. In 1844 they moved from South Carolina to Cherokee County GA, and resided there till December 28, 1869, then starting with the family to Perry County Ark, which locality was reached in January 1870. Jesse George died July 30, 1875 at the home of William H. He was a son of Isaac and Martha George, likewise of South Carolina nativity and father of fifteen children, seven now living: James, Marmaduke, Sarah A., Harriet, Melinda M., Lucinda and William Harrison. The subject of this sketch received his education in Cherokee County GA and at the age of twenty married Mary A. Edwards, of that county, daughter of Cleveland Edwards and Narciss Brooks, natives of Georgia, where the father died, though the mother still lives there. They were of Irish descent, the grandfather Brooks having been born in Ireland. Mrs George died October 1, 1879, leaving seven children: John W., James A., Theodosia E. (wife of William Hankins), Melinda M. (wife of Julius Jones), Jessie C., Florence E. and Marion J.D. In February 1880, Mr George married his second wife, Elizabeth Smith, of Georgia, who was born about 1840. She is the mother of five children, four living: Nicholas W., Elijah G., Mary Jane and Robert E.L. April 13, 1862 Mr George enlisted in Company B, Thirty-fourth Regiment Georgia Volunteers of the Confederate army, and was immediately elected orderly-sergeant, being in the battles of Vicksburg with Bragg through Kentucky, and before and after Sherman on his march to the sea. He was taken prisoner at Vicksburg, exchanged and paroled, returning to his regiment in 1863; after which he took part in the battles of Missionary Ridge, New Hope Church and at Lookout Mountain, and many skirmishes. At the close of the war he returned to Georgia, and in 1870 came to Perry County. Mr George has held the office of justice of the peace for fourteen successive years in Casa Township. He has always been a Democrat and he and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. He is an honored citizen, and has a good stock farm of 211 acres, about eighty acres being under cultivation, which is well watered by living streams.