Randolph County AR Gen Web Homepage
Click here to break out of frames
Hite Log House - Biggers
Randolph County, Arkansas
Pocahontas Star Herald
Restoration work has recently been done on the old log house at Hite Cemetery, at Biggers. The picture at top shows the building in a state of ill repair before restoration work was begun late last year. The lower picture is a front view of the building, which is thought to be approximately 100 years old, having been built during the closing years of the Civil War. It was used in olden times as both a school and a church. Land for the building and the cemetery were donated to the Biggers community more than 100 years ago by the late Benjamin Hite, grandfather of Harry Hite, who was, until his death in recent years, a well-known Biggers landowner. Made of chinked, hewn logs, which are 24 inches through, the building was restored in 1919, and had not had work done on it since that time. The building originally faced south, but now faces west. Renovation work included a new wooden shingle roof, replacing of windows and re-chinking of the logs. Some work has been done on the building's interior, and more will be done later. A committee composed of R. H. Segraves, Commodore Shaver, Ople Johnson and Mrs. Sid Gazaway led the work on the building, and they wish to express their thanks to all who so generously gave of their time and money to help make the restoration work possible.
Historical Photos Page
Return to Randolph County Photos Page
Return to Randolph County Homepage
Created: Monday, 16-May-2011 06:35:37 MDT
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.
© 2001 by Kathleen Burnett
The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.
All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!