Contributed by Charlene Holland
ALBERT S. WOODThere are a number of men who are prominently identified with the mercantile interests of Scott County, Ark., but none of them is more deserving of mention than Mr. Wood, who, although not old in years, is yet a substantial businessman. He was born in Mississippi in 1856, to John T. and Delilah (Nations) Wood, they being also Mississippians, the former an honest and progressive tiller of the soil. Their marriage, which occurred in their native State, resulted in the birth of ten children, their names being as follows: Albert S., Victoria (who died some years since), Daniel, Alice, J. Booker, Kate, Thomas, Stanford, Joseph and Nora. John T. Wood enlisted in the Confederate Infantry in 1861, and was on active duty until the close of the war. He first removed from his Native State to Texas, and from that State came to Arkansas, in 1859, settling in Sevier County, but in 1868 came to Scott County, and is here now residing. He is a member of Cauthron Lodge No. 385, of the A.F. & A.M., and ever since residing here has proved himself a man of progressive views and public spirit. Albert S. Wood came to this State with his parents when a small boy, and was principally reared on a farm, but besides being an attendant of the common schools near his home, he was given the advantages of the schools of Fayetteville in 1884 and 1885. He has taught a school, and farmed up to 1888, when he engaged in the mercantile business at Gipson, Scott County, Ark., and in May 1889, was appointed postmaster of the place. He has done a exceedingly prosperous business, and has become well known for his honest, upright dealing with his patrons and for his interest in the welfare of this region. He is junior warden of Cauthron Lodge No. 385, of the A.F. & A. M. and also belongs to Poteau Lodge No. 27, of the I.O.O.F.
Return to Scott County Biographies
Copyright 2003-2009 by Delaine Edwards.
All rights reserved.