Contributed by Charlene Holland
CHARLES A. FINLEYCharles A. Finley is a merchant of the town of Waldron, Ark., being a member of Finley, & Hendricks, and by birth is a Tennesseean, born in Carroll County, in 1865, to Smith P. and Minerva (Bennett) Finley, they being also Tennesseeans, the father being a farmer by occupation. They were married in their native State, and to their union eight children were born, seven of whom are now living: Mattie (wife of J.B. Thomas), C.A. (the subject of this sketch), John W., Sindey W., Ada (wife of T. B. Dinwiddie), Robert A., Norma G., Dollie, and one that died unnamed. The father and mother of these children are still living, in Tennessee, and both are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the former being a member of the Masonic order of Macedonia. Charles A. Finley came to Arkansas in 1886, and settled in Crawford County where he was engaged in the dry goods business until January 1887, but moved the same year to Fort Smith. After traveling for Dyke Bros. until June 1889, he became a salesman for the Holmes Dry Goods Company, acting as their traveling salesman part of the time, about nine months out of the year being spent as salesman in their store. He has been a resident of Waldron, and soon after coming here formed a partnership with a Mr. Hendricks, and here has since been in the grocery business, and is, deservedly, doing well. He is an earnest member of the Presbyterian Church, and, socially, belongs to the K. of P. He is a young man of exemplary habits, and as he is industrious and pushing, he is bound to make his mark in the world.
Return to Scott County Biographies
Copyright 2003-2009 by Delaine Edwards.
All rights reserved.