Contributed by Charlene Holland
G.W. TURNERG.W. Turner, liveryman of the firm of Turner & Huie, of Waldron, Ark., is a Tennesseean by birth and bringing up and has inculcated in him the sterling principles of the better class of citizens of that State. He was born in 1844, the second of ten children born to Jesse and Elizabeth (Price) Turner, they being also Tenneesseans. The grandparents on both sides were among the very earliest settlers of that State, and there braved the dangers and privations of pioneer life to make homes for their children. Jesse Turner was one of the worthy tillers of the soil, and after first emigrating from his native State he located in Missouri, and, in 1867 came to Arkansas, where he died in 1870. G.W. Turner removed to Missouri with his parents, and also came with them to this State, acquiring a fair education in the common schools of these States. In 1862 he joined Company H, Gordon's regiment of Missouri Infantry, under Gen. Shelby, and afterward took part in the battles of Springfield, Cape Girardeau, Prairie Grove, Helena and others. After the war he returned to Missouri, where he was engaged in freighting on the plains from Atchison, Kas. to New Mexico, making one trip. He then came to Arkansas and settled in Woodruff County, but nine years later located at Augusta, running teams to adjoining towns. Since 1873 he has been a resident of Scott County, and was first engaged in farming and teaming from Fort Smith to Waldron, a calling he continued to follow for thirteen years. In 1887 he opened a livery stable at Waldron in connection with Mr. Huie, and now has a stable well stocked with horses and vehicles, at all times in good condition and ready for use. In addition to this property he has a good farm of 160 acres two miles north of the town, of which 40 acres are under cultivation, and several lots in Waldron. He was married in January 1870, to Miss Abigail Schrimsher, of Mississippi, she being an earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Turner has been a member of the I.O.O.F. for years, and as a man of business has shown marked ability. He and Mr. Huie are the successors of Turner & Hard. They have fifteen head of horses, suitable hacks and buggies for the use of traveling and they also have the mail contract for carrying daily mail to Mansfield, which contract was secured July 1, 1888, and will continue two years longer. Both these gentlemen are honest and fair in their dealings and fully deserve the patronage of the public.
Return to Scott County Biographies
Copyright 2003-2009 by Delaine Edwards.
All rights reserved.