Contributed by Charlene Holland
MILES H. PARTINMiles H. Partin is a Mississippian, born in 1843, and as he was brought up to a farm life by his father he has made that his chief calling through life. His parents, F. H. and Elizabeth O. (Miles) Partin, were born in North Carolina and Tennessee, in 1812 and 1825, respectively, and he is the oldest of their eleven children, the other members of the family being W.E., Mary F. (wife of W. W. Collier), A.G. (deceased), George W. (deceased), B.F., Orlena (deceased), Hellon (wife of G.A. Stubblefield), Mattie (wife of John Cannon), Jennett (wife of David Cannon), and Jasper N. The family removed to Arkansas when the subject of this sketch was seven years of age, and on January 1, 1850, located on an eighty-acre tract of land at Dardanelle, to which he afterward added until at the time of the father's death in 1877 he was the owner of 700 acres of land, upon which he had cleared 125 acres and built a number of good buildings, planting, also, a large orchard on his home place, where his widow now resides. He and his wife were both members of the Missionary Baptist Church. The educational advantages which Miles H. received quite limited, but after his parents had acquired their home they undertook his education, and intended to send him away to school, but the opening of the Rebellion prevented them carrying out their intentions, hence his education is limited to what he could acquire in the subscription schools of his boyhood. He entered the Confederate service, enlisting in Company E, Twenty-first Arkansas Infantry. At the reorganization, after Corinth, he was transferred to Company H, and was in the battles of Iuka, Corinth, Farmington, Vicksberg, Port Gibson, Champion's Hill, Black River Bridge, where he was taken prisoner and taken to Camp Morton, near Indianapolis, Ind., where he was kept two weeks, then transferred to Fort Delaware, after which he entered the service of the United States, and was sent to the frontier of Minnesota, shortly after the Sioux outbreak. Here he remained until 1865, when he received his discharge. He returned to Dardanelle December 24, 1867, since which time he has been engaged in farming, purchasing, in 1868, 120 acres of land in Perry County, but which he afterward sold and returned to Dardanelle. In 1876 he bought 120 acres in Hunt Township, and homesteaded 120 acres adjoining, and upon this he has cleared about 60 acres, built a house and outbuildings, fences, etc., and has otherwise improved his place, setting out a good orchard. His principal crops are corn, oats and wheat, the yield of the first mentioned being from twenty-five to forty bushels, oats averaging twenty-five bushels to the acre. His tenants sometimes raise cotton and it usually averages one half bale to the acre, but he has raised one bale on the same amount of ground. In the fall of 1868 he was married to Miss Louisa Wright, a native of Georgia, born in 1845, a daughter of Berry and Mary (Chistoper) Wright, and to Mr. Partin and his wife one son has been born, Vernie (who was born February 24, 1872). Mr. Partin is giving this son every advantage in the way of an education, and as he wishes to make law his profession he will have every opportunity of perfecting himself in this science. After finishing his education in the common schools he entered the Dardanelle High School, where he is making (in his second year) very rapid advancement in his studies.
Return to Scott County Biographies
Copyright 2003-2009 by Delaine Edwards.
All rights reserved.