Contributed by Charlene Holland
SAMUEL C. BROWNSamuel C. Brown is a merchant and postmaster at Blansett, Scott County, Ark., but was born in Blount County, Tenn., October 4, 1837, a son of Benjamin and Martha (Cusick) Brown, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of Tennessee. The father was taken to Tennessee by his parents when a boy, and in that State he attained manhood and was married, making his home there until he moved to Walker County, Ga., in 1860. After a residence of nine years in that State he came to Scott County, Ark., and here he passed to his long home in August, 1889, when in the seventy-ninth year of his age. He was an honest tiller of the soil and was a man who had the confidence of all who knew him. His first wife, the mother of Samuel C., died in Tennessee in 1854, after which he married Elizabeth Holcomb, who died in this State and county. He was a member and officer of the Missionary Baptist Church for many years and at all times was an earnest Christian. In his political view, he was a stanch Democrat. Samuel C. Brown was the third of ten children, five now living and his youth was spent and his schooling received in Sevier County, Tenn. He worked on his father's farm until he was twenty-one years of age, then began teaching school and farmed until the war broke out. In October, 1862, he joined Company R, Fifth Tennessee Cavalry, with which he served eighteen months, being then transferred to the First Tennessee Cavalry, his company acting as escort to Gen. ________. He was taken prisoner at Knoxville, Tenn., after entering the Federal lines under a flag of truce, and was retained at that place until the close of the war. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Chickamauga, Resacca and in the Georgia campaign around Atlanta. At the close of the war he turned his attention to farming in Blount County, Tenn., but in I866 went to Walker County, Ga., where he made his home until 1869, then came to Scott County, Ark., and here in connection with farming followed the occupation of teaching until 1877. He then began selling dry goods in Waldron, Henry Coker being his business partner. In 1881 Mr. Brown came to Blansett and opened a general store, which he has since successfully conducted. In 1883 he was appointed postmaster of the town and is still holding the office. He commenced operating a sawmill and cotton gin in 1888; and in both has done well. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and socially belongs to Blansett Lodge No. 460, of the A. F. & A. M., and politically is a Democrat.
Return to Scott County Biographies
Copyright 2003-2009 by Delaine Edwards.
All rights reserved.