Contributed by Charlene Holland
WILLIAM ROBSONIn giving a brief sketch of the life of Mr. Robson it can with truth he said that he is one of the foremost men of Scott County, and has become one of its wealthiest agriculturists by honest toil and good management, and by the aid and advice of his admirable wife. He has been a resident of this county since 1867, but was born in Wayne County, Tenn., April 20, 1833, to William and Mary (Wordsworth) Robson, they being also natives of Tennessee, in which State they grew to maturity, married and spent their lives, the death of the father occurring in 1857 at about the age of sixty years, the mother passing from life in 1859 when about the same age. Mr. Robson was a worthy tiller of the soil all his life, and in this calling became quite successful. Both were members of the Methodist Church and he was a Mason and a Democrat. The immediate subject of this sketch was the youngest of ten children, and his school days were spent in Wayne County, Tenn. When only eighteen years of age he came to Arkansas, and after wandering over the greater part of the State he went to the frontier of Texas with Capt. Love to fight the Comanche Indians, and during this time had many narrow escapes from death, a number of horses being shot from under him while fighting. Fortunately he was never wounded, and finally, growing tired of fighting, he settled in Corsicana, at which place he opened a hotel, which he managed for three years. In the fall of 1861 he joined Col. Parson's regiment of cavalry, but was discharged at Little Rock in May 1862, on account of a broken leg, which was caused by being thrown from a horse. After recovering he joined Col. Guater's battalion, afterward Bryant's battalion, and served in the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations until the war closed. He was a scout all through the region where he now lives, and at the close of the war held the rank of sergeant. He then resided in Little River County, Ark., until 1867, after which he moved to Scott County and purchased 160 acres of land, to which he has added enough to make 280 acres, a large portion of which is under cultivation, and all can be cultivated. He was married in August, 1862, to Miss Altha Ledgewood, and by her became the father of six children, five now living: James W., Lucinda Adaline, George W., Dick and Eddie. Ludie died when two years of age. Mr. Robson and his wife are members of the Free-Will Baptist Church, in which he has been a deacon for three years. He donated the ground on which the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church is standing, and in numerous other ways has shown the interest he feels in the cause of Christianity. He is a wealthy citizen, the owner of a large amount of stock, and is in every way situated to enjoy life. Politically he is a Democrat.
Return to Scott County Biographies
Copyright 2003-2009 by Delaine Edwards.
All rights reserved.