WILLIAM B. SUTTON GRAVE
Scott County, Arkansas
From Waldron go North on Highway 71 to Highway 378. Turn left and go about 4.1 miles.
The tombstone is on the righthand side of the road and is enclosed by a wrought iron fence. Digital
photographs were made February 26, 2005 by Delaine & David Edwards.
The stone is inscribed:
William B. Sutton
A native of Kentucky, he began his career as a merchant in N.W. Ark. in 1841, becoming a prominent
business man of Ft. Smith from 1847 to 1881. During the Civil War Union soldiers occupied his home
built in 1850 at 514 No. 6th, Ft. Smith, Ark. known then as the Sutton Mansion, now a restored national
historical site, which he sold in 1881. Owning considerable land in Scott County, he moved here where
he engaged in the lumber business and farming. A man of vision, integrity and courage, he also possessed
great humility of spirit. He chose this spot for his final resting place. --- "Safe with his Saviour and
home at last from life's unresting sea."
1820 - 1892
Dedicated to his memory by his grandchildren
Wm. Bruce Sutton III
Irene S. Stanphill
Return to Scott County Cemeteries
Copyright 2005-2013 by Delaine Edwards
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.