Scott County, Arkansas
From Waldron go south on Highway 71 to Highway 248 West. Turn right and go 13.9 miles. The
highway becomes Jones Creek Road where the state maintenance ends. The cemetery is on the right side
of the road about 75 yards into the woods just this side of a bridge. The cemetery has
long been abandoned and briers and brush have taken over. Most of the tombstones seem to be in good
condition and there is a fence around the cemetery. Surveyed and photographed 21 April 2006
by Bob, Delaine & David Edwards. If you would like a copy of the photograph of your ancestor's
tombstone, please contact Delaine Edwards and it will be
sent via E-mail. Please put "Vise Cemetery Photo" as the subject of your message.
Bates, Rachel S., 26 Aug 1832-8 Apr 1922
Bates, J.E., Died 18 Jul 1877, aged 5ys 3ms 4ds
Bates, T.G., Died 1 Jan 1877, aged 69yrs 4mo & 14days
Brand, Francis M., 1829-1903, Pvt., Co G, 3 GA Inf., CSA (Military marker) See Note 6
Chandler, Robert A., 1 Dec 1883-1 Aug 1888, S/o G.A. & E.F. Chandler
Denton, J.E., 20 Mar 1881-21 Mar 1883
Hayes, Charlotte Elvira, 30 Oct 1862-12 Nov 1938
Hayes, Cooper, No dates, Co. H., 1 Ark. Inf. (Military marker)
Hayes, S.E., d. 22 Jul 1886, aged 5ys 4ms 6ds
Hayes, Thiel Milmo, 10 Dec 1887-22 Oct 1904, S/o T.M. & Charlotte E. Hayes
Hayes, Thompson M., 27 Dec 1856-4 Jan 1924
Hays, Alonzo F., 21 Feb 1895-27 Sep 1912, age 17yrs 7mo 6ds, S/o T.M. & C.E. Hays
Hays, Francis S., 8 Oct 1883-19 May 1909, D/o T.M. & C.E. Hays
Jones, John H., 12 Oct (1886?)-Death date illegible, S/o J.D. & L.A. Jones
Jones, Joseph D., 22 Feb 1883-Death date illegible, S/o J.D. & L.A. Jones
Lynch, Leondis I., 24 Nov 1878-13 Aug 1882, See Note 2
Oliver, Margaret E., 14 Mar 1849-25 Jun 1881, aged 32y 3m 11d
Willis, I.V., 7 May 1830-7 Mar 1908, aged 77yrs 10 mo
Yancey, H.S., 1 Jul 1855-16 Sep 1886, aged 31ys 4ms 6ds
Young, B.N., 20 Mar 1836-13 May 1903, 1 Lieut., Co B, 1 SC Cav, CSA (Military marker)
Young, Mary E., Died ?? Mar 1903, age 53, See Note 1
Young, Lanora, 19 Jun 1871-10 Sep 1876, age 5yrs 3mo, No photo available, See Note 3
- Mary E. Young's stone was beside the stone of B.N. Young. The inscription is covered with glass, which
has broken and the information has deteriorated.
- We found only a footstone inscribed "L.I.L." The information for Leondis I. Lynch is copied from an earlier
survey by Lynne Bates.
- We did not find a stone for Lanora Young. The information above is copied from an earlier survey by Lynne
- There was one rock covered grave with no inscription. We also found cement curbing surrounding an area in
which we found only fieldstone markers.
- A 1993 survey lists graves for Edgar V. Vise, 30 May 1874-10 Mar 1876, S/o C.M. & Sarah; Frank Wyant, 1859-
1924, and Mary Phipps Wyant, 1875-1901. These stones were not listed in the Lynne Bates surveys of March 1996 and
20 October 2000 and we did not find these stones either.
- Francis M. Brand's wife, Rachel P. Brand, is buried at Kirk Cemetery. They were married 6 Oct 1853 in Walker Co.,
GA. Information from a descendant, Kathleen Mangum
Return to Scott County Cemeteries
Copyright 2005-2013 by Delaine Edwards
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.