LOG HOUSE AT BELVA
The picture above was taken about 1911. Standing next to the building is James Hillard Fox and his son Ernest Fox. The house was built by Cicero Fox in 1873 to be used as a church, school or meeting house. James Hillard Fox attended school here. Ernest Fox also started school in this building. It was used as a church and stood at the west edge of the French Prairie Cemetery. Cicero's house was located 1 mile east of this building at a community called Belva, now called Ione. In 1873 this area was in Scott County; in 1903 it became a part of Logan County. The photograph and information were contributed by Joe Fox and Jerry Fox who are descendants of Cicero Fox.
Return to Scott County School Photos
Copyright 1999-2008 by Delaine Edwards and the submitters
All rights reserved