PARKS SCHOOL AT PARKS
This building, now used as the Parks Senior Citizens Center, was constructed by the Works Progress Administration. Classes were first held there on 7 September 1940. The building was described in an article published in the 5 September 1940 issue of The Advance Reporter newspaper: "The ten-room, single story building represents an investment of a little over $30,000, of which the district provided about $7,000...and replaces a wooden structure which had been used about 25 years. It is 174 feet long, 64 feet wide, contains seven classrooms, an auditorium with a 64x40 foot stage, a library, and the superintendent's room...The building has new fixtures throughout, including movable chairs and modern type desks for teachers. Lumber for the edge grain pine floors was milled within 12 miles of the building. All walls are sealed with knotty pine, are shellaced and varnished. Ceilings are of one half inch fiber board. The heating system consists of eight new coal stoves, and sufficient fuel has already been provided. A well with pressure pump provides water for the drinking fountains...Rush Rhoads is superintendent of the school..."
School history contributed by Delaine Edwards. Photo provided by Charlene Holland.
Return to Scott County School Photos
Copyright 2000-2008 by Delaine Edwards and the submitter
All rights reserved