John E. Mitchell
Taken from Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Western Arkansas
Dr. John E. Mitchell, of Marvinville, one of the leading and most successful physicians in Yell County came to the village in which he now lives in January, 1883, from Conway Station. He began the study of medicine with Dr. Kincheloe, of Conway Station, staying with him one year, when he took a course of lectures in the Missouri Medical College, of St. Louis, Mo., remaining there two terms, and graduating in 1882. After receiving his diploma he came to this county, and, locating at Marvinville, succeeded in building up a practice that amounts to about $3,000 per year. In 1886 Dr. Mitchell purchased the Marvinville Mill, which he conducted until December, 1889, when he sold it to its present owners. About the same time he sold his first residence and bought his present home. Dr. Mitchell was born in Quitman, Van Buren County, January 21, 1861, the son of Robert D. and Anna (England) Mitchell, natives of Alabama and Missouri, respectively. His father worked at the carpenter's trade most of his life, and at the breaking out of the war enlisted in the army, and was killed at the battle of Shiloh in 1862. Dr. J. E. Mitchell was reared to manhood at Quitman, where he remained until 1878, when he went to Conway Station, there beginning his professional career, as above stated. He was married on April 14, 1885, to Miss Anna M. Smith, daughter of J. M. Smith, a native of Tennessee, born on November 1, 1867. They have two children: Erey M. and John E. In his political views the Doctor is a Democrat.