Isaac J. Steele
Taken from Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Western Arkansas
Isaac J. Steele has attained wealth as a farmer and stock-raiser, by honest labor, and is a gentleman who commands the respect and esteem of all who know him. He was born in the year 1837, in Perry County, Tenn., to Isaac and Catherine (Faucett) Steele, the former born in South Carolina, in 1802, and the latter in Tennessee, their marriage occurring in Maury County, Tenn., where they were reared. They soon after moved to Perry County, and in 1848 came to what is now Van Buren County, Ark., where Mr. Steele passed from life February 16, 1857, his widow dying November 29, 1875, both members of the Methodist Church of many years' standing. Mr. Steele was a blacksmith by trade, but at the time of his death was following merchandising. His father, Michael Steele was of Irish descent, a South Carolinian by birth, and died in Maury County, Tenn., of which he was one of the early settlers, a gunsmith and farmer by occupation. He was a soldier in the Creek War. Richard Faucett, the mother's father, was a tiller of the soil of Maury County, Tenn., and there passed from life. Isaac J. Steele was the sixth of seven children, but as he was compelled to labor hard on the farm in his youth, he received but little schooling. Since the age of eleven years he has been a resident of Arkansas, and from here enlisted in the Confederate Army, in 1861, becoming a member of Company K, Tenth Arkansas Infantry, and served in Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana, taking part in the battles of Shiloh, Port Hudson, and some others. He was wounded and captured at Port Hudson, but after being paroled he returned home, and did not again enter the service. In 1866 he was married to Huldah, daughter of Michael and Nancy Fulkerson, both of whom were born in Tennessee, in which State Mr. Fulkerson also died, his widow afterward coming to Arkansas, dying in Van Buren County. Mrs. Steele was born in Tennessee, and of a family of five children born to her union with Mr. Steele, one son and two daughters are living. Mr. Steele lived five years in Washington County, five years in Franklin County, but since 1887 has been one of the prominent and substantial residents of Polk County. His admirably kept farm, which is situated one mile east of Dallas, comprises 320 acres, 240 acres being in the home farm, with about 100 acres cleared and under the plow. This land is well improved with suitable buildings, good fences, etc., and the entire property is the result of his own efforts. His wife is a member of the Methodist Church.