Thomas Johnston Family
Submitted by Alice Burroughs Shipley
born ca 1800 Pennsylvania, married Katherine Main Jan 1, 1824.
She was the daughter of Philip Main and Clarianne
(Clory Ann Rough). They are on the 1850 cenus in Beaver Co.
Thomas is 57 and is working as a laborer. Katherine is 47.
Katherine Main was born 1804 Beaver Co. Pa.
Children of Thomas and Katherine are;
1. William Henry b. 1826 Pa.
2. Solomon Thomas b. Nov.12, 1832 Pa.
3. Joseph A. b. June 26, 1836
4. Sarah A. b. 1839 Pa.
Joesph A. Johnston
On the 1850 census Joe is listed with his parents in Beaver Co. Pa.
as age 14.
Joesph married Susannah Main Oct 10, 1861 in Pike Co. Illinois.
She was the daughter of Susannah Nye and Solomon Main.
In 1870 they are on the census in Pike Co. Missouri with 4 children.
In the 1880 census they are in Pike Co. Missouri with 7 children.
Susannah was born February 17, 1835 in Pike Co. Illinois.
She died in 1900 in Cleburne Co. Ar. and is buried in Goodloe
Cemetery beside Joseph, who died in 1903 in Quitman Ar. and is
buried in Goodloe Cemetery.
Joseph Johnston and Susannah Main Johnston children are;
1. Ellen b. circa 1862 Illinoise
2. Albert b.after 1862
3. Alexander (Alex) b. Jan. 19, 1864 Pike Co. Illinoise
4. Emmet W. b. Jan. 1868 Illinoise
5. Louisa b.Oct.1869 Missouri
6. William M. b. March 29, 1873 Mo.
7. Charles b.circa 1875 Mo.
8. Annie b. March 28, 1878 Mo.
9. George S, b. circa 1884- He married Dora Bradbury July 29, 1914
Cleburne Co. Ar.
Alexander (Alex) Johnston
b. Jan 19, 1864 Pike Co. Illinois, married; Matilda M. Woodson
Oct. 7, 1883.
They are on the 1910 census in Cleburne Co. Ar. in Cadron Township.
They have been married for 26 years and have had 11 children,
all still living.
Matilda M. Woodson was born Janurary 17, 1866 Mo.
She died on February 26, 1945 at Quitman Ar. at age 79 and is buried
in Goodloe Cemetery.
Children of Alexander and Matilda are;
1. Bessie b.Oct.1884 Mo. Married James Franklin Reedy
2. Clementine b. Feb.1886 Mo. Married Joseph D. Bennett
3. Cleveland b. Nov,30,1888 Arkansas married Ida Reedy
4. Joseph A. b. Sept.22,1893 Marries (1st wife Polly A. Jackson.
2nd Cora Brightwell, 3rd wife Winnie Evans.
5. Ezra William b. July 25, 1894 Quitman Ar. Married Roxanne
Elizabeth Bennett the daughter of Thomas Jefferson Bennett
and Mary Idella Presley of Van Buren Co. Ar. ( 2nd wife Ida Laura Ray)
6. Henry A. b Jan. 1, 1898 married Sarah Philips
7. Jasper Inman Johnston b. August 23, 1899 Quitman Ar.
married Florence Narcissus Bennett, the daughter of Thomas Jefferson
and Mary Idella Presly.
8. Ollie b. Oct. 7, 1901 Ar. married J.W. Holliman
9. Robert Holly b. Oct. 16, 1903 Ar. married Hattie New
10.Beulah b. Dec. 19, 1905 Ar. married Albert W. Kennedy
11.Allie D. b. March 21 1908 married Rena E. Jackson
Jasper Inman Johnston
b. August 23, 1899 in Quitman Ar. Cleburne Co.
He married Florence Narcisus Bennett Jan 3, 1919 He died Jan 27, 1988
at the age of 88. He and Florence had been married 69 years.
Florence was born Oct, 16, 1902 and is age 16 on the 1920 cenus in
Cadron Township Cleburne Co. She died on Jan 21, 2001 at age 98 and is
buried in Goodloe Cemetery beside Jasper.
Children of Jasper and Florence are;
1. Mary Evil b.May 1919 married Cecil Westerman.
2. Jasper Inman Jr. b. Jan 24, 1924 d. March 1924 buried Goodloe Cemetery.
3. Sybil Lee b. April 30, 1932
d. March 8, 1990 buried Sand Springs Cemetery Gravesville Ar.
4. Geda Nadine b. Feb. 10, 1930 died June 19, 2000 buried at
Sand Springs Cemetery
5. Alton John b. August 1935 died May 3, 1984 burie in Michigan
6. Henry Carnell b. March 28, 1925 died June 15, 1995 buried at
7. Lorenea b. Feb. 13, 1922 died Jan 28, 1991 and is
buried in Taylor Co. Texas
8. Juanita (tink) living
9. Bobby Living
10.Annie Sue living
11.Larry Lane living
12.Gereld D. living.