Sand Springs School

--Submitted by Alice Burroughs Shipley

"Sand Springs School, east of Gravesville, near Quitman, was built before 1900 on land donated by John LeHeigh....In 1949 Sand Springs consolidated with South Side School near Bee Branch...."

"The schoolhouse was one large room with wood burning stove. Miss Sudie Spires of Damacus was one of the firt teachers. She lived with the Jim Davis family of Gravesville. She walked to school and built a fire in the stove. There were about eighty students. She taught two months in winter and two months in summer for $40.00 each month.
Mrs. Alzora Davis Burroughs, age 90, related this information to Marie Hutto."