--photos by Leroy Blair, 2002White County Historical Society member Glen Majors, who lives at Clay, stated in 2002 that this building was made from stones in the Caruthers Cemetery.
According to Cloie Presley of the White County Historical Society whose husband Leister was raised at Clay, probably the first cemetery at Clay was just south of the Baptist Church. "Some of the Caruthers family were buried there," she wrote in the White County Heritage. "Several years ago the stones were removed and used to build a storm cellar and no sign of the graves remain.
She also recorded that "Anthony Smith is buried in an unmarked grave on Sharp Hill (between Dewey and Clay). This is the only grave there and is just out of the road ditch."
In the Mt. Pisgah Cemetery there is the following stone (note the birthdate):
Findley, J. T. - April 14, 1843 - July 20, 1881 - son of ? & Rachel, born in Clay
(Also, see COBBITE CEMETERY.)
If you have additional information on this cemetery, contact the White County Historical Society, P.O. Box 537, Searcy, AR 72145.