One of the men in the photo is the man who wrote the contract for the original part of the Courthouse, Jesse Newton Cypert. Cypert was the White County delegate to the Secession Convention, the Constitution Convention when Arkansas was admitted back into the Union, and the convention when the state's present constitution was written.
Cypert practiced law in Searcy and was elected judge of the circuit court in 1874.
Stephen Brundidge, also pictured, was in White County before 1860. He was a prominent brickmason and built many brick structures in this county. His son, Stephen Brundidge Jr., was a lawyer and was the congressman from District 2 from 1897 to 1909.
Another leader in the picture, Stephen Perry, was a merchant and his business evolved into the Robbins Sanford business. One of his daughters married Robbins and another married Sanford. He, too, was in White County before 1860.
William Fletcher Sales was known as Col. Sales. He served in the Confederate Army. His wife had a family on a plantation near Helena.
William A.B. Jones was also in White County before 1860. He was a merchant. His home was located on the lot where the Dr. Porter Rodgers home now stands and was used as a hospital by Union troops during the Civil War.
Also show in the photo are Robert J. Rogers and John F. Rives.
The White County Courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Arkansas still used for the original purpose.