ABOUT COTTON PLANT, ARKANSAS
This material is taken from articles in Rivers and Roads and Points in Between, a publication of the Woodruff County Historical Society.
Cotton Plant was apparently called Richmond before it became Cotton Plant.
In 1846 William E. Lynch came from Mississippi and built a home and store on what is now Main Street in Cotton Plant. He brought some cotton seed with him, and some of the seeds were accidentally dropped near the store.
The seeds came up and grew well. The sturdy plants were much admired, and people in referring to the store called it the Cotton Plant Store.
As the community grew, there was need for a post office. In 1852 an application was made to the U.S. Postal Service for a post office for the village of Cotton Plant. The request was granted, and in time the store with the big cotton plants became the thriving town of Cotton Plant.
There's also Cotton Plant information at the Wright family history site's article about Cotton Plant