Goodspeed's History of ... Carroll County, ArkansasEureka Springs. -- The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1880 by Rev. O. P. Bryant. The erection of a church building was begun in the same year. The present membership numbers 115. The pastors in order have been as follows: O. P. Bryant, 1880-81; ----- Hood, 1882-83; C. E. Cunningham 1884; LeRoy Bates, D. D., 1885-87; Newman P. Tedrick, 1888. There is a flourishing Sunday-school of 100 members.
The First Baptist Church was organized in the summer of 1880 by Elders J. R. Chambers, P. J. Jack, D. C. Boswelll and four other members. J. K. Northcutt was made moderator, and James Isaac, clerk. Pastors: P. J. Jack, C. W. Callahan, 1882; C. N. Ray, J. C. Grosh, Judson Taylor, the present incumbent, who took charge February 1, 1888. The church building was erected in 1881-82. The membership is about 150.
Pine Street Methodist Episcopal Church, South. This society was organized in 1879 by Rev. Warren Brooks. The Sunday-school was organized in 1880. The present church edifice, a frame structure 32x35 feet, was erected in 1887 by a building committee consisting of W. H. Johnson, John Davis and E. S. Weyand. It was first occupied in May, 1887. The membership has increased from twenty at the beginning to 150 at the present time. A revival under Rev. Thrower's administration resulted in 150 conversions. About 700 individuals have been connected with this organization at various times. Pastors: Warren Brooks, 1879-80; S. N. Burns, 1880-82; H. C. Jolly, 1882; B. K. Thrower, 1883; W. T. Keith, 1884-85; B. Williams, 1885-86; H. J. Brown, 1887 -----.
First Presbyterian Church. The first Presbyterian services at Eureka Springs were conducted by Rev. W. B. McElwee, in the autumn of 1880. In the following spring he preached in a tent large enough to seat 300 people, at the corner of Mountain and Spring Streets. Although seated with rough plank benches, the tent was usually well filled, until cold weather compelled the discontinuance of the services. Northern, Southern and Cumberland Presbyterians were among the worshipers. During the winter of 1881-82 the members of the different branches, after conferring upon the subject, decided to unite in one organization and attach themselves to whichever of the general bodies offered the most liberal assistance. After preaching a week Rev. J. J. Marks, D. D., prebyterial missionary of Ozark Presbytery, North, effected an organization March 1, 1882, in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Of the the twenty-eight constituent members, four were Cumberland Presbyterians, two Congregationalists, four Southern and eighteen Northern Presbyterians. The first session consisted of W. F. Daugherty, J. L. Baker and W. W. Johnston, M. D., elders. By unanimous vote the new organization was connected ecclesiastically with Ozark Presbytery, North. Since the organization there have been added to the the session Elders William L. Lee and L. H. Stockton, May 1, 1884, and Horace B. Claflin, March 14, 1887. James L. Baker removed June 10, 1883, and W. F. Daugherty ceased to act in June, 1884. A. J. Gibbs and F. A. Pickard were elected deacons July 21, 1883; I. D. Stewart and E. L. Marsh, March 7, 1885; G. W. Lynn, March 14, 1887. F. A. Pickard resigned March 7, 1887. D. R. Whitcomb, G. W. Lynn and H. N. Brim compose the board of trustees. Rev. W. B. McElwee was pastor from March 1, 1882, to October 31, 1887. Rev. W. Scott Lowry assumed the pastoral duties November 1, 1887.
The tabernacle church was again occupied in the spring of 1882, with such additional comforts as a board floor and chairs. In October the basement of the Jones building on Short Street was occupied for a month, when the room above was secured and retained until the completion of the present edifice. In 1883 the ladies organized the "Extra Cent Society," gradually accumulating a fund of $1,400. It was resolved to building in 1885, and a lot was donated by the Improvement Company on condition that a stone building should be erected. The foundations were laid in the fall of that year. May 13, 1886, the corner-stone was laid with impressive ceremonies. The completed structure was dedicated on the third Sabbath of November, 1886, Rev. Thomas Marshall, D. D., Officiating. It is built of stone; the auditorium has a capacity of 300, and the lecture room is of the same size. William L. Lee's munificent contribution of $3,000, and the courtesy of the Improvement Company in donating the lot, will always be remembered gratefully.
The Christian Church, Rev. Giddings, pastor, is among the older religious organizations of the city. The first sermon here was preached by a minister of this denomination. Rev. L. W. Scott was one of the first pastors.
St. James' Protestant Episcopal Church, Eureka Springs, originated in the efforts of Rev. J. J. Vaulx, of Fayetteville, who held services once a month for several years, and during this period a frame chapel was built on Mountain Street. A regular organization was effected September 15, 1887, the first vestry being constituted as follows: J. C. Cunningham, J. Congdon, M. O. Hines, G. W. Malcolm, F. Bellchamber. The present vestry is composed of Powell Clayton, J. C. Cunningham, G. W. Malcolm, F. Bellchamber, and the membership numbers about thirty. Rev. D. S. C. M. Potter, D. D., the present rector, assumed charge December 14, 1887. The parish has recently been presented with an eligibly located building, now being transformed into a church.
Roman Catholic. -- Rev. Smythe, of Fort Smith, during a temporary stay at Eureka Springs in 1881, began the erection of a Roman Catholic Church, but left before its completion or the organization of a parish.
Prairie. -- One of the first churches in this part of the county stood on land now owned by one McKeen, a mile and a half from Berryville. It was built on vacant land, and there was a camp-meeting ground in the vicinity. It was erected in 1848 as a Methodist Church. One Lively and James Jones were the first preachers.
A Union Church building was erected at Berryville in 1851, and dedicated in October of that year by Rev. Pleasant Bascom. This was burned during the war, but rebuilt in 1868. The present Union Church was built in 1882, mainly through the efforts of Dr. A. A. Baker.
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Berryville, was organized in October, 1853, with thirty-one members, A. A. Baker and W. J. Ruth, elders, by Rev. John F. King, the first pastor. Among his successors have been Revs. Ruth, Ray, Kendall, Bell and Nashburn.
Berryville Church, M. E., South, Rev. David C. Ross, pastor, numbers fifty-three members. The circuit has a membership of about 200.
The Christian Church, Berryville, was built in 1879. Rev. Charles B. Whiteley built the first church in the central part of the county in 1841-42 at Pleasant Valley. It was burned down during the war and rebuilt in 1876, burned in 1885 and again rebuilt as a Methodist Church. Whiteley removed to Texas in 1861; he preached his own funeral sermon here before leaving. He was somewhat eccentric, but very active in building churches and schools.
Carrollton. -- The first religious services in this township were held in the court-house by Rev. Henderson Lafferty. Revs. John F. Seamen, -- Cook and Thomas Tanford were preachers prior to 1845, when Dr. A. B. Baker was appointed to this circuit, then comprising all the territory between Crooked Creek and King's River. Rev. W. B. Williams was recently the pastor. Pleasant Valley, Wright's Chapel, Black Jack School-house and Zion Hill Churches form part of Carrollton Circuit. There is an organization of Free-Will Baptists at Big Spring, of which Rev. J. W. Cannt has been pastor many years. Rev. Bartlett is pastor of the Missionary Baptist Church at Carrollton, and Sherwood Pursley at Pursley's School-house. A Cumberland Presbyterian organization at Carrollton was effected in 1839 by Revs. Pearson and Buchannon, of Cane Hill, Washington County.
Hickory. -- William Martin organized a Methodist Church prior to 1850 of which Rev. -- Keeton is the present pastor. Fair Grove Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1871 or '72. Isaac Stanley and Martin Butler organized New Hope United Baptist Church in 1852, and Palestine Church in 1853. New Home United Baptist Church, three miles north of Green Forest, on Section 20, Township 20, Range 23, was organized in 1882 by Rev. E. J. Hagan, with eighty members. R. E. Martin is pastor at present. A Presbyterian Baptist Church was organized in 1876 in the southeastern part of the township. O. A. Mayberry is pastor.
Long Creek. -- Salem United Baptist Church, at the mouth of Dry Creek, was organized in 1853 by Isaac Stanley, George E. Gaddy and Martin Butler. Gaddy was pastor many years. The present pastor is R. A. Martin. Center Point Methodist Church was organized about 1853, and has a large membership. Revs. Obar, Mattox, Hughes and Keeton are among the recent pastors.
Yocum. -- Mount Zion Baptist Church was organized about 1868 by Revs. Gwaltney, Beddingfield and Stanley. William Bailey is the present pastor. The Methodist Church was organized about 1871 by Rev. Obar.
Liberty. -- The Free-Will Baptist Church at Rule was established in 1884 by Rev. W. R. Miller. Sherwood Pursley is the present pastor. The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is attached to Berryville Circuit, Rev. David C. Ross, pastor. It is known as Mount Zion.
Osage. -- The Cumberland Presbyterian Church is an old organization, and shared in the labors of Revs. John F. King, Matthew Holford and Fleming Sanders forty years ago. Revs. --- Stockton, Jasper Henry, Amos Kendle, Hugh J. P. Rudolph and F. McCracken have been the pastors in order since the war. Live Water Methodist Church is one of the oldest preaching points on Carrollton Circuit.
Dry Fork. -- Shiloh Methodist Church, originally a part of Carrollton Circuit, was subsequently transferred to Berryville, and in 1887 to Kingston. In 1845 a small log building was occupied during inclement weather and an arbor at other times. Camp meetings were held every year on King's River, five miles distant. A Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1886 by Rev. J. S. Rudolph. Rev. Albert Gregg, of Kingston, is pastor of a Baptist Church.
Piney. -- Upper Piney Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is a part of Berryville Circuit. Riley Miller and Gregg and Bradshaw are the pastors respectively of the Free-Will and United Baptist churches of Lower Piney.
Polo. -- Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1852-53 by Revs. Isaac Stanley, Martin Butler, Thomas Chrisope, Brantley Wright and Dyson Wright. Stanley is the present pastor. Antioch United Baptist Church was instituted by Revs. John, David and Isaac Stanley in 1876. John Stanley is the present pastor. Brigman is pastor of Stony Point Free-Will Baptist Church. Antioch Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is included in Berryville Circuit.
King's River. -- Isaac Stanley, Joseph Stanley, C. Chappell and --- Lindsay are respectively pastors of White Elm, Rock Spring, Grenada and Shady Grove Baptist Churches. Rev. Watson is pastor of a Christian Church at Walker's.
Franklin. -- There is a United Brethren Church at Hostetter's school-house.
The Berryville Academy was originally established by James Rhea in 1855. He was educated at Mechlin Institute and Arkansas College, Washington County, and had great natural ability as a teacher. The school at Berryville was conducted in a building erected for general school and church purposes by the community, and embraced such studies as usually form an academic curriculum. Prof. Rhea was assisted by different persons at various times. Among the students who have done honor to this school may be mentioned James H. Berry, successively judge, governor and United States Senator. The school was suspended during the war, when the building was also burned.
January 14, 1867, Prof. Isaac A. Clarke opened the academy that bears his name, with twenty-five pupils, which number increased to about 100 before the conclusion of the first session. The school was conducted in a commodious building about a mile southwest of Berryville until 1873, when this was burned. The large brick building within the corporate limits of Berryville was erected in 1874, and here the school has since been conducted, with a patronage from all parts of Arkansas and adjoining States. Prof. Clarke is eminently endowed with the rare qualifications necessary to inspire students with a desire for advanced culture and thorough education. He has, through his personal influence and the influence of his school, done more to advance the educational interests of the county than any other individual.
The following statistics, from the last biennial report of the State superintendent of public instrution, fairly represent the condition of the public schools of the county:
Statement of the Public-School Funds of Carroll County for the Year Ending June 30, 1886.
|Balance on hand June 30, 1885||$ 7,171.97|
|From Common-School Fund, State||4,051.71|
|From district tax||5,057.91|
|From poll tax||1,981.86|
|From other sources||115.08|
|For teachers' salaries||$ 9,847.82|
|For purchasing houses or sites||50.00|
|For building and repairing||601.55|
|For treasurer's commissions||224.13|
Balance in County Treasury Unexpended:
|Of Common-School Fund||$ 550.91|
|Of District Fund||5,007.00|
|Of funds from all other sources||2,096.94|
|Henry D. Field, County Treasurer.|
Summary of County Examiner's Report, 1886.
|Number of districts||72|
|Number of districts reporting enrollment||41|
|Number of districts voting tax||16|
|Number of teachers employed||54|
|Number of school-houses||36|
|Value of school-houses||$6,875.00|
|Number of institutes held||2|
|Number of teachers attending||40|
|A. B. Johnson
W. A. Reese