Cleveland County, Arkansas

A place to remember, preserve & share information about our ancestors.

 

 

 


 

In 1819, most of this area was in Clark County. By the time Arkansas became a State in 1836,
the area was called
Union County.
Bradley County was created December 18, 1840. The area now known as Cleveland County was part of this county.

Located in the southeastern corner of Arkansas, Cleveland County was created in 1873
and first called
Dorsey County in honor of Stephen Dorsey, a U.S. Senator from Arkansas.
The name was changed in 1885 to Cleveland in honor of President Grover Cleveland.

The residence of N. V. Barnett was its first county seat until 1872 when it moved to Toledo.
In 1889, the seat moved to Rison. Communities in the county include Rison, Kingsland, New Edinburg and Woodlawn.


Belinda Brown Winston- County Coordinator

Contact the ARGenWeb State Coordinator

Copyright 2000-present - Cleveland County, ARGenWeb. All rights reserved.


 

index

sitemap

advanced


 

                                                                 

 

 

Last Updated October 23, 2012

 

 

 Cleveland County, Arkansas

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This Web Page Created with PageBreeze Free Website Builder