North Sawba has its official beginning on the 10th day of Oct 1875, when a tract
of land was given to the New Hope Church of the Methodist Episcopal Church South
to be used for a cemetery.This tract of land which was on high ground, was used
for burials years before it officially became a cemetery. Since it was a "free"
cemetery people from all areas including Armorel, Huffman, Delt, Blytheville,Yarbro,
Gosnell and even some from Missouri buried their family members and friends here.
It is believed North Sawba Cemetery may contain Civil War casualties from the
military action that took place on the Pemiscot Bayou. It is known there are Civil
War and WW1 veterans buried here.
On the 17th day of April 1942, the War Department authorized
the U.S. Army to acquire 2670 acres of land, including North Sawba Cemetery
to establish a twin engine flying field on the Gosnell site. On the 10th day
of June 1942 the U.S. Army Air Force Advanced Flying School(T.F) was activated.
The U.S. Army surveyed , recorded and made a gird showing
monuments and numerous markers of metal and other materials, and a total of
1806 pieces were removed and replaced . In 1945 the U. S. Army Air Field was
deactivated and the cemetery reverted to the City of Blytheville Arkansas.
In 1955 North Sawba Cemetery once again returned to government
jurisdiction with the activation of Blytheville Air Force Base later renamed
Eaker Air Force Base, until base closure December 1992. Of the 339 monuments
and markers of other materials totaling 1806 pieces the U.S. Army listed in
1942, only 125 tombstones remain. It was discovered that the grid to the cemetery
was missing the tombstones replaced in no certain order.
There may be as many as 5000 persons buried in North Sawba
Cemetery , however, there are no available records before 1920. Cobb and Holt
Funeral Home records, McHaney Monument records, the Blytheville Courier news
newspapers were researched and individuals have given the names of their relatives
and friends that they know are buried there. A complete listing will never be
accomplished. This monument is dedicated to all persons buried in North Sawba
North Sawba Cemetery Committee
Andy Bevill- Chairman
I. D. "Buck" Harris
Partial LIsting of Surnames
Surnames J-L (Partial)
Jackson, Joe G.
Jackson, Lee D.
Jackson, Millie A.
Jammurson, James E.
Jarrett, J.M. (mine) James Monroe Jarrett
Jennings, Martha J.
now these are the other side of the photo and last names only sorry
Submitted by: Debi Bentley